Are there 2 beverage packages?

TheCalicoCat

I booked under Explore 4 when the offered what I will call the "Original" Signature Beverage Package.

I've read that there is a new "expanded" Signature Beverage Package.

Are there 2 packages? Original and Expanded (my terms)?

Or does the fact that I booked under the original not have any bearing & there is only an expanded version?

I booked under Explore 4 when the offered what I will call the "Original" Signature Beverage Package.

I've read that there is a new "expanded" Signature Beverage Package.

Are there 2 packages? Original and Expanded (my terms)?

Or does the fact that I booked under the original not have any bearing & there is only an expanded version?

There are two alcoholic beverage packages, Signature & Elite. Both cover up to 15 beverages per day. The SBP covers beverages up to $9 and the EBP covers beverages up to $15. Assuming they allow purchased upgrades, you can upgrade for $11.50 pp/day (which is the $10 difference + 15% service change.)

There are two alcoholic beverage packages, Signature & Elite. Both cover up to 15 beverages per day. The SBP covers beverages up to $9 and the EBP covers beverages up to $15. Assuming they allow purchased upgrades, you can upgrade for $11.50 pp/day (which is the $10 difference + 15% service change.)

Thanks - I got my information from a personal blog & they made it sound like the change was from $8 to $9. I had no idea about Elite.

Thanks - I got my information from a personal blog & they made it sound like the change was from $8 to $9. I had no idea about Elite.

They may have changed the Elite $ cap as well, but if they did, I'm not aware. The dollar limits have been keeping up with the drink price changes since they rolled out the SBP in 2014. Actually, some things that didn't used to be covered in the past are covered now. (Like Maker's Mark, which makes me a happy boy.)

Sorry I meant 10 day sailing beverage packages

The Signature Beverage Package, if purchased in advance, is $516.90. This breaks down to $44.95 + 15% service charge. The EBP is $10.00 more per day, or $11.50 more if you factor in the service charge.

You can also purchase the Signature Beverage Package (SBP) during the first 48 hours you are onboard. They bump up the price by $5 per day if you purchase it onboard instead of online in advance. ($49.95 per day + the 15%). I guess they don't want you using your OBC to buy a low markup item like a beverage package and instead use it for the high markup items like shore excursions or specialty restaurants.

You can also purchase the Signature Beverage Package (SBP) during the first 48 hours you are onboard. They bump up the price by $5 per day if you purchase it onboard instead of online in advance. ($49.95 per day + the 15%). I guess they don't want you using your OBC to buy a low markup item like a beverage package and instead use it for the high markup items like shore excursions or specialty restaurants.

I'm not sure that the mark up is that low. The cruise line's cost basis is way different than the customer's purchase basis. For example, if we use December 2016 Maker's Mark math, I could have had 15 drinks at $7.95 each, or $9.14 if I factor in the service charge. (I don't drink that much. This is just an example.) From my perspective, I'm getting $137.10 worth of drinks for $51.69 ($44.95 + 15% service charge.) From where I sit, I'm $85.41 ahead.

From the cruise line perspective, I will have had 15 drinks of 1.5 ounces each, or 22.5 ounces of alcohol. That's 90% of a 750 ml bottle. (Yes, I know that cruise lines use liter bottles, but I needed a price from Total Wine and the 750ml bottle is less per ounce.)

So anyway.... I'll have had 90% of a $23 bottle of bourbon. That's $20.56 worth of booze. The cruise line's not paying retail and they're saving on some tax, so it's actually better for them than my calculations imply. I'm ignoring the cost of ice and glassware, but the cruise line is getting $44.95 for less than $21 worth of whiskey.

I think I'm making out like a bandit. The cruise line's looking at a decent profit based on liquor costs. Everybody's happy. (Until the next morning, at which time I'm probably hung over.)

(I don't drink that much. This is just an example.)

Thanks again. I know based on all of my questions since I booked this cruise 18 months out, I must sound like a lush, but my toes swell if I over indulge & I don't like that feeling. (I'm more interested in trying an "Old Fashioned" and not worrying about "wasting" it. Or Not needing to spend another $8 for a beverage that I know that I like.)

Just off Noordam and had Signature package from travel agent promo. Tried several times through many different crew members and front desk to upgrade to Elite on first day and was told I could not. So frustrating. I gave up. One night I ordered a glass of wine at dinner only to be told you can't have that one because it is not in your package. "I'll bring you what you can have and you'll like it". Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks again. I know based on all of my questions since I booked this cruise 18 months out, I must sound like a lush, but my toes swell if I over indulge & I don't like that feeling. (I'm more interested in trying an "Old Fashioned" and not worrying about "wasting" it. Or Not needing to spend another $8 for a beverage that I know that I like.)

You don't sound like a lush at all. I understand and respect your desire to get the most accurate information. A lush question would be, "Can I buy more than one beverage package per person? I'm kinda thinking three would do the trick."

POA1 is the wizard of alcohol algebra.... got to love it! Thanks for the calculations which were enlightening and entertaining. Have to agree sipping my Tanqueray & Tonic I feel like I am getting a great deal. Frustrating the reports some cruises are offering the upsell from Signature to Elite and some are not. What is up with that?? Hope to hear more feedback from recent cruisers on that isubject.