Grand Princess-Did she make it into Tracy Arm Fjord this current cruise?

carqueen44

She hasn't been there yet. Grand is on her third trip to Alaska this year, with the first two to Glacier Bay. The first time to Tracy Arm Fjord will be tomorrow. http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Grand-Princess-697#itineraries

In that case one could glue themselves to the bridge cam and see how far the ship gets. Of course that would take a lot of time but it could be done.

No the Grand Princess has not make it into Tracy Arm. None of the cruise ship have gone into Tracy Arm yet this season. I talked one of my contacts at Allan Marine and he said that there was too much ice in Tracy Arm for the cruise ships to safely enter Tracy Arm. Allan Marine is going to send a boat up Tracy Arm on Saturday 6-3-2017 to check on the ice conditions. The cruise ships are going up into Endicott Arm to Dawes glacier with no problem, as are the small boat tours

In that case one could glue themselves to the bridge cam and see how far the ship gets. Of course that would take a lot of time but it could be done.

Hi Thrak,

I took youe advice and I am up early watching the bridge cam and reviewing your website....could go either way right now...Tracy Arm or Endicott...staying tuned! Thanks!

Yep, bridge cam feed even says Endicott Arm due to ice accumulation. Sure looks pretty, however! Looking forward to it being my turn on the Grand next.

Two_UW_Badgers--the Grand does not offer that excursion. You can book a small boat excursion from Juneau to Tracy Arm reportedly--the smaller ships have made it into the fjord this year. (BTW, I'm a UW-L Eagle from way long ago.)

Take care,

If someone has booked the Tracy Arm excursion, is it canceled or do they do something similar in the ship's location?

There are no excursions on Grand's trips up Tracy Arm. They only slowly sail up and back, with time to view the glaciers at the end. It is like a sea day, but with scenery. Princess calls it "Scenic cruising" on their itinerary descriptions.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the bridge cam message says in its entirety? All I can read is "...[Endicot]t arm, due to ice accumulation in Tracy Arm. No open deck an[n?]..."

I believe it says no open deck announcements.

If someone has booked the Tracy Arm excursion, is it canceled or do they do something similar in the ship's location? Forums

No, according to my friend at Allan Marine they are still doing the small boat tour, only they are doing it up in Endicott Arm. The small boat can get to within 1/4 of mile to the glacier, the cruise ships won't get in that close. The other day when I talked to him he said that the small boat tours have been seeing a number of brown bears along the beach and goats up on the side of the mountains. I'll report back next week when I get back, we leave in the morning.

At least with Endicott you have a better chance of getting closer to a glacier. At Tracy Arm the ships usually seem to turn around when the glacier is first visible.

When we sailed up Tracy Arm in Sept. some years ago, we were able to sail very close to the glacier and stay there for awhile. This was on one of the older HAL ships and thus smaller than any of the Princess ships so maybe they're too big to maneuver that close.