Denali Cruisetour Question

Outatown

I have been attempting to learn about the particulars of a Denali Cruisetour that features 'a full day at the park' and includes the History half day bus tour. I am not interested in that tour, but I would be very interested in the 8 hr bus tour that provides more wildlife viewing opportunities. Has anyone been able to do the 8 hr tour instead of the half day? Are special arrangements required? Thanks in advanced to anyone who can provide some insight. -Jim

When I went with Princess a couple of years ago, it you "upgraded" to the full 8 hour tour it WAS the national Park shuttle tour. Been on both. Now, this may have changed by now.

Interesting experience on the NP shuttle tour - somewhere well along the tour there was a need for a "rest stop" by some. We had passed one rest stop with facilities but were assured that there was another about 15 minutes further along the route. Fine.Now I must say that we all were eager to see a grizzly bear. Well, we soon got to see one "up close and personal". One was feasting on berries in a spot that was between where buses park and the outhouses. No way we could get out to use the facilities (Park rangers there to be sure no one tried.) So - back to the last ones.

Well, we got a great look at a Grizzly and to my knowledge all made it back to the other spot - but some in great personal discomfort. Then of course we had to drive back to the 1st site to continue the tour (bear still there).

Thank you to everyone for commenting. It appears that arrangements for the 8 hour tour can be made. Yea! -Jim

Yes we just upgraded to the TWT and took it two weeks ago (also last year). The upgrade to Kantishna which goes the whole way is also listed on the Cruise Personalizer and you can prepurchase that through your TA or Princess. Don't wait as these tours fill up and it is definitely worth it to at least do the TWT.

We pre-booked and paid for our TWT with our travel agent when we booked the Cruisetour in Feb. 2016.

On May 25, 2017 it had snowed 8 to 10 inches the night before. Of the 54 miles we were to travel we made it 12 miles into the park. All of the tour busses had to turn around. :(

The only animal(s) we saw was one moose nose poking out from behind a tree. So disappointing but understandable to be safe.

We had to fill out a form from the Denali Park Service for a refund of some money we paid.

Be prepared for any weather!

we opted out of Tundra Wilderness tour and had a refund issued within our Connisseur tour. Received about $465 off our Princess cruise tour package and purchased the shuttle bus ticket to wonder lake for a total of $56- all of us since its just me and kids. saved over $400 and got the trip I wanted. could have upgraded but the shuttle bus drivers are excellent- I have done both and I like the shuttle buses and the on and off option too