Formal Nights

Dis

As I have not cruised NCL in many years, I was wondering if there are still "Formal Nights", or if all dining has now become casual?

There are no "formal" nights. NCL takes the approach "Dress Up or Not".

All dining rooms allow shorts except Le Bistro and the aft main dining room (on small ships and the Epic). Or Le Bistro and the featured restaurant (Ocean Blue, Bayamos).

That being said, most people in the specialty restaurants, and even the main dining room, will dress as though they are going out to a restaurant for dinner at home. Smart casual. Fewer and fewer long dresses and suits. The tuxes seemed to have been permanently packed away.

We still like to dress up, so my husband will bring his tux sometimes. I have gone away from formal gowns, but will bring a dressy long skirt/top. On our last trip, my hubby only brought khaki pants and collared polo shirts, then just added a jacket. Lots less suitcase room needed!

You will see a wide variety of dress and I don't think anyone feels out of place, which is one of the things I enjoy on NCL. I have found that some of our best pictures are from cruise ship formal nights, so I like to dress up and get our picture made; it gives us a record of the family as they have grown and sparks lots of great memories.

Okay, soapbox time: The largest regret that I have as cruising has gone away from "formal" evenings is that some people seem to think that because you aren't dressed up, you don't need to behave appropriately. But, I think that is overall society, not just cruising. Maybe my fellow CC members will help keep a good example going. I'll step down now.:)

My Soap box.That's what I like about NCL. Having worked for a company, for a number of years, where they loosened the dress code, so we could wear tassels on our dress shoes with our dark suit, white shirt and pastel tie, I never want to wear a suit again. NCL gives those of us who don't want to dress up for dinner an option. Most other lines are still more formal, although they are moving in a less formal direction. So, for the time being at least, NCL is that one line where you don't have to eat in your room or at the buffet any night you don't want to dress up. Some people complain that the policy is too liberal. To those people, I ask, if we who don't want to dress up, can have one, just one cruise line, where that's permitted. They can have all the others, and they do. I don't think that's too much to ask. I'll step down now too.

There are no "formal" nights. NCL takes the approach "Dress Up or Not".

All dining rooms allow shorts except Le Bistro and the aft main dining room (on small ships and the Epic). Or Le Bistro and the featured restaurant (Ocean Blue, Bayamos

Shorts for men? Talking dress shorts. Have to travel light this time just wondering.

I think it would be great if there was a dining room where those of us who wanted to "dress up" could. I miss the formalities! Who remembers dressing up to fly??!!??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've described every dining room and restaurant on every NCL ship. There is nothing stopping you from dressing up if you want to...nothing at all. NCL simply doesn't force you to dress up if you don't want to.

Shorts for men? Talking dress shorts. Have to travel light this time just wondering.

Yep. With the exception of those venues already mentioned, shorts are fine. I usually just wear cargo's and a collared shirt.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

You've described every dining room and restaurant on every NCL ship. There is nothing stopping you from dressing up if you want to...nothing at all. NCL simply doesn't force you to dress up if you don't want to.

Huge Huge Huge Thumbs Up in agreement with your statement. Do not understand why people who want to dress up feel others around them need to do the same? If you want to dress up, then dress up. I don't care. It's FREESTYLE!

Huge Huge Huge Thumbs Up in agreement with your statement. Do not understand why people who want to dress up feel others around them need to do the same? If you want to dress up, then dress up. I don't care. It's FREESTYLE!

You're exactly right. People who complain about NCL dress code, don't want to able to dress up. They want everyone else to be forced to dress up with them. With every other mass market cruise line( Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, P&O. Cunard, Disney, MSC, AIDA, Costa, even Carnival) having formal dress codes, at some point, during a cruise, you'd think they could leave the one cruise line that doesn't have one, alone.

I think it would be great if there was a dining room where those of us who wanted to "dress up" could. I miss the formalities! Who remembers dressing up to fly??!!??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually those of you who want to dress up are perfectly free to do so. If you want a more formal atmosphere so that your formal gowns and tux's fit in more then I suggest dining in LeBistro or the Main dining room in the aft section. They are considered more formal and no shorts are permitted. I would hope that everyone in the room doesn't have to be wearing formal attire for you to be and feel formal.