Copenhagen on arrival day

jeanico

Hello all! I have friends on a flight arriving in Copenhagen at 8:30AM on September 10th, and they will be sailing on the Getaway at 5PM at day. They would like to explore the city a bit, but wonder what to do with their suitcases. Would you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for sharing you knowledge and experiences!

Nicole

Hello all! I have friends on a flight arriving in Copenhagen at 8:30AM on September 10th, and they will be sailing on the Getaway at 5PM at day. They would like to explore the city a bit, but wonder what to do with their suitcases. Would you have any recommendations?

Nicole

They could just drop the bags off at the cruise terminal, and then explore the city for a few hours and then make certain to be back for the check-in no later than 1 hour PRIOR to the "deadline" listed on their cruise documents (I believe that for most European embarkation ports, NCL policy states that all guests must be ONBOARD the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the departure time - but your friends must of course make certain if their cruise documents states all on board 1 or 2 hours before scheduled sailing time). Meaning that if the ship is scheduled to sail at 5.00 PM then your friends shouldn't risk arriving for check-in no later than 3.00 PM (just to make certain they get on board in time). Especially as there have been a few times where passengers have arrived at the cruise terminal too late, and were denied boarding. So it is always better to have some extra time than the opposite......

Nicole

Assuming your luggage is promptly available, and assuming you will not be going through customs and immigration, and if your plane is on time, and you don't have any problems finding your taxi or shuttle, and the traffic cooperates, it will be after 10 am by the time you get to the ship. I would guess that 11 am is more realistic. I would guess you will not have much spare time to explore the city before boarding.

I didn't use them, but did see a few shops advertising temporary luggage storage outside Norreport station (across the road from it), which is easy to get to from the airport and very central. They could leave luggage there and explore the Torhallerne market, which has great food - including open sandwiches and danish pastries.

They can then either get a taxi from there or the 25 cruise bus leaves from there as well.

Danish Viking in the Baltic ports forum can probably give you the best answer.

Just FYI, I'm on the Getaway sailing June 30, and my edocs say you need to be onboard in Copenhagen by 3pm, so I would assume you need to be at the terminal before that so that you could leave ample time to get onto the boat-from my edocs:

Departure time: 05:00 PM

All Guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time noted on these documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

I would suggest, if it were us, they would take a cab (or other transport means) from airport to the cruise terminal first - to drop off bags AND to check in (and obtain cruise cards). Then they can decide at the point whether to board ship and stay onboard or kip back to the city for a couple of hours sightseeing and then return by 3pm to board the ship.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it takes about an hour from Kastrup to Oceankaj, and it takes them thru the city centre, they'd spot some of the landmarks.

Another alternative is to find and book a car and driver to meet them at Kastrup and take them on a couple of hours or so sightseeing before dropping them off at Oceankaj (with their bags).

Maybe Danish Viking can help?

Edited by bluesea777

OP: I can't answer your question, but there is a VERY helpful Copenhagen expert, Danish Viking, who posts regularly on the Ports of Call/Europe/Northern Europe forum. I would suggest that you ask your question on Danish Viking's current "Wonderful Copenhagen 2017 Edition" thread; Danish Viking replies regularly there.