Just back from Alaska and Conquest - some Observations short of a review

GMRPHRN

I am back at work today after 11 days off and thought I would write a few observations to help me survive these post-cruise blues. I sailed the Legend to Alaska (Skagway-Juneau-Ketchikan-Victoria) on May 30 out of Seattle with my 16yo daughter.

1. Embarkation was very easy. We gave our bags directly over to port authority employees at the security scanner (no porters) We had an assigned check-in of 11:30-12 and we arrived about 15 minutes early but no one objected. The terminal was quite full when we got to the waiting area. We were zone 8 and waited about 30 minutes before zones started being called so we could get a seat. We were on the ship by 12:30. We received our S&S card at check-in.

2. Lunch was very busy with everyone trying to eat at once - really long lines. This was the only time I experienced this, though. It was a bit chilly outside but we went out to the open area to eat and escape the crowds. We went to our room at 1:30.

3. Muster seemed quick but it may be because we managed to be on the front row and not squashed in the back. They scan your S&S card and know pretty quickly who didn't show up.

4. Assigned dining in Alaska is at 5:30 and 7:45. I liked this earlier time because we were usually finished by 9pm. I did not fine the dining staff as friendly as usual. They did their jobs efficiently but did not go out of their way for anything extra. I am not complaining - just an observation. Could be just my team. We had tablecloths all week. I did not know if they have brought this back fleet wide. The food was very good and a lot of the portions seemed to be bigger. Some of my favorites were the Mushroom cream pasta, crab cakes, mahi mahi and spareribs.

6. I did not eat in the buffet (except for breakfast). I did have a hamburger from the grill and it was okay. They had shoestring fries which were very good. They also had hot dogs with all the fixings. I had fish & chips from the Seafood Corner one afternoon. I think it was $6. It was very good - especially the fries. However, it did a number on my stomach later that day. The Lido had a salad bar open for lunch & dinner which I had the first day.

7. I ate in the dining room twice for lunch and twice for brunch. Lunch was good but the breakfast was unremarkable. The hamburgers in the restaurant were much better than on Lido. I enjoyed breakfast on the Lido buffet. There are a lot of omelet stations and the wait was not long like on other trips. They had french toast, pancakes and waffles. Bacon was self-served. Lots of fruit.

8. It is very true that most people do not get too dressed up for Elegant nights. Our dinner companions didn't dress differently than any other night. We saw some men and women dressed up but I think that was primarily so they could get pictures.

9. There are lots of places to sit and relax around the ship especially inside.

10. On our Glacier Bay Day the gift shop made a big production of having a $10 dollar table with buy 4/get one free. They said it was only for a few hours but it was all week. They also had a 2 for $20 t-shirt sale more than once. Don't buy Alaska apparel on board unless it is something you really want. All the ports had good deals in the shops.

11. We had great weather all week and it was not cold. On our excursions we wore layers and shed them when it got warmer. I don't think anyone will need a heavy coat after this week. Remember you are in Southeast Alaska and on the coast. A rain jacket is a must.

12. The hot tubs were primarily dominated by children. I think even the inside pool was still a bit cool for swimming. There is a hot tub on the serenity deck, however. Also, there is a hot tub in the gym which is 16+.

13. Since they do not have a big screen on the Lido they did show movies a couple of times in one of the lounges.

14, They have something called Creative Cove which is a basic paint class. I think it was about $30. We really wanted to do this but did not know how we would get the canvas home in our already over packed suitcases. I think it was held at least 3 times with sign up listed in Fun Times.

15. We got off the ship in Victoria but almost immediately got back on because I was having stomach issues. I think you can walk into town but it is quite a trek. They had shuttles for $11 each and a horse drawn carriage. There is a nice walkway along the coast, too. There is only 1 small gift shop right at the ship.

16. In Skagway we took a private tour booked through Trip Advisor which was a small bus trip to the Yukon, lunch, and return. Our bus driver was a great tour guide and the trip was worth every penny. We stopped frequently on the 1 to 2 hour trip to CarCross for photo opps. We had really great weather and the views were amazing. The driver told us much of the history of the gold rush in the Yukon. We stopped at an outpost for lunch. It was barbecue chicken and potatoes and it was okay. There was an option to be pulled on a cart by sled dogs (extra fee) and we watched them come in and out and strap in the dogs. There were some large puppies to play with as well as donkey's, goats, llamas, and miniature ponies. There was a small ice cream shop and gift shop. Also a great museum of Animals on display as well as some history of the Mounties. The trip back was shorter but we still stopped a few places. The driver dropped some of us in town and some at the ship. The ship is walking distance and there are quite a lot of tourist shops in the town.

17. In Juneau we took the ship tour called Best of Juneau. We took short bus ride and boarded a passenger boat for a trip out into the bay. We saw humbacks and sea lions and quite a few bald eagles. We had lunch at a lodge on an island. The lunch was Very Good. After the boat trip we road the bus out to Mendanhall Glacier. The observation area is still quite a way from the glacier so you are not walking on it like some of the helicopter tours. The Forrest Service runs the visitor center and it was very informative. My biggest disappointment with this trip was the bus got us back with only minutes to spare to get on the ship. We did not have anytime to visit shops.

18. In Ketchikan we decided not to take a tour. The ship was only in port until 12:30. The ship docks right at the town and there are a lot of tourist shops and some restaurants. There were 2 other ships in that day but it was not too crowded. I paid $5 for a cup of coffee at a corner shop (the coffee on this ship is barely drinkable). All the shops carry the same basic souvenirs for the same prices but you might look around for something more original or specific.

19. The laundry facilities use your S&S card. Very convenient. $3 for wash & $3 to dry.

Wow! This is quite long and I guess it is a full review. Feel free to ask any questions if I missed something.

Edited by GMRPHRN

Yes the American Table. With special items supposedly from Alaska different each night? Apparently CCL has not actually started the Luggage Service yet. No one I talked to on site knew anything about it.

Yes the American Table. With special items supposedly from Alaska different each night? Apparently CCL has not actually started the Luggage Service yet. No one I talked to on site knew anything about it.

Another Alaska review said they didn't do the American Table but I thought they did. Hope they start the Luggage Service soon. I don't understand why they wouldn't.

I sailed the Conquest last June (thus my mistake in my heading) and it was the same basic menu that I remember with exotic things like braised rabbit and ox tongue plus this wonderful mushroom soup, mushroom cream pasta and another great pasta the first night. Crab or Salmon cakes (or maybe both). Dessert highlights include S'more Parfait, Cheesecake, and melting cake. The only disappointment was the prime rib.

Don't understand. Tracy Arm and Endicott Fjords are not part of Glacier Bay as your post seems to indicate.

That does seem to be confusing doesn't it? I didn't have cellular service or GPS so relied on what we were being told on the ship. Looks like I received some misinformation. Beautiful place to visit regardless of where we actually were.