Any recent news on dining reservations on The Muse?

CruisinPashmina

I can understand solo travellers may fine the new arrangements less than friendly, we travelled on the Inaugural Venetian sailing with many solo world cruisers who also felt the same. I think they could adopt some flexibility in Atlantide which in terms of menu and style is "like" the main dining option, they have a couple of large tables and could make it known that these are available for solos. ...

When I read your suggestion for solos, well forgive me, but the word "pariah" jumps into my mind. Is this is the best the Muse can do for solos -- put us all at a large table in Atlantide every night for the whole cruise like a group of outcasts. And, considering the whole dining system, perhaps this is the "best" they can do if a solo doesn't want to eat alone at a table or in their cabin. Very off-putting to me for booking on the Muse as a solo.

Honestly it really is very flexible just book the rough time you would normally dine and if you need change it wasn't an issue at all. I have the view that all restaurant are best when they pace the arrival of guests, this allows the kitchens to get high quality food out at a sensible pace, I have found on SS that when the dining rooms suddenly fills the food quality and speed suffer so I see the sense in a booking structure.

Pleasing to hear what you've said as it seems to echo my take on how things would be. However the friends who are onboard at the moment have to my horror said they've seen people turned away. They personally have like you been unaffected and each reservation they've made has gone to plan. It's an unknown if these guests were turned away because they'd not got a booking, but they did say there were a few very angry people. They had a solo lady join them on one night after her reservation wasn't honoured. I've no further news than that. (The reservation wasn't "lost" they just didn't have the ability to accommodate.) I join the Muse in Monaco in 2 days and will hopefully get to chat and find people's thoughts. You can't run a reservation system and then say no, though it could be down to not wanting to wait and storming off in a huff. I've always promised to be fair open and honest with my thoughts - and that remains so.

2 days to go :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by les37b

Whilst on The Muse we met a very nice lady who was on the third of three segments. She was very upset with the solo arrangements. She is a regular SS customer and had had to dine on her own on several evenings. She made sure that SS were aware of her dilemma. They risk losing very regular customers with not taking care of solos.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I read your suggestion for solos, well forgive me, but the word "pariah" jumps into my mind. Is this is the best the Muse can do for solos -- put us all at a large table in Atlantide every night for the whole cruise like a group of outcasts. And, considering the whole dining system, perhaps this is the "best" they can do if a solo doesn't want to eat alone at a table or in their cabin. Very off-putting to me for booking on the Muse as a solo.

I am so sorry I did not mean to offend to the level that I made you use the word "pariah". As I am not single soI do not feel qualified to comment further other than suggest, if you have not done already, feed back to SS what has worked for you in the past, I do not see they can create a "main dining room" but they surely will try to accommodate and make solos feel welcome as this appears to me to be a large proportion of some cruises especially longer voyages.

Apologies again if I offended it was not intended.

That's very interesting indeed that it wasn't an issue for you, when it was for a number of other people who experienced the opposite -- a lack of flexibility in being able to change pre-set arrangements and dine with new-found friends.

Like a number of others, I am following this topic with interest before deciding whether or not to venture on the Muse.

Yes I can only say as I found, the Maitre'D was accommodating, I am sure the level of flexibility would hinge very much on the ships occupancy, nearer to 100% and I would imagine it would be more challenging to change. I will be doing 25 days in February on Muse so may have more to feed back then but I will book dining based on my knowledge of sailing already which does help.

Pleasing to hear what you've said as it seems to echo my take on how things would be. However the friends who are onboard at the moment have to my horror said they've seen people turned away. They personally have like you been unaffected and each reservation they've made has gone to plan. It's an unknown if these guests were turned away because they'd not got a booking, but they did say there were a few very angry people. They had a solo lady join them on one night after her reservation wasn't honoured. I've no further news than that. (The reservation wasn't "lost" they just didn't have the ability to accommodate.) I join the Muse in Monaco in 2 days and will hopefully get to chat and find people's thoughts. You can't run a reservation system and then say no, though it could be down to not wanting to wait and storming off in a huff. I've always promised to be fair open and honest with my thoughts - and that remains so.

2 days to go :-)

I saw people turned away but they did not have a reservation, this was several days in to the voyage so they knew the system, the Maitre'D did say if they gave him 20-30 minutes take a drink in the adjacent bar then he would be able to seat them (I am sure he knew which tables were near finishing) but they did what you said and stormed off.

I think solos have a very valid issue SS need to sort.

I think for couples its less of an issue, if you have booked your nightly dining I am sure you will have a lovely trip, I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I saw people turned away but they did not have a reservation, this was several days in to the voyage so they knew the system, the Maitre'D did say if they gave him 20-30 minutes take a drink in the adjacent bar then he would be able to seat them (I am sure he knew which tables were near finishing) but they did what you said and stormed off.

I think solos have a very valid issue SS need to sort.

I think for couples its less of an issue, if you have booked your nightly dining I am sure you will have a lovely trip, I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks for clarifying David. If it were as it sounded that people had bookings and weren't allowed to use (even with a small delay for whatever reason, then that would be completely unacceptable. Dinning on board is not a rushed affair and if I was asked to give them 15 minutes - go have a drink at the bar, it's really not an issue.

I do agree with what you've said for solos and have voiced those concerns for them in numerous occasions.

I will find out first hand shortly. If my reservations are "lost" and not honoured, or I'm expected to bribe the Maitre D, as someone suggested, I most certainly will be making my views known and expect them to do something to my satisfaction if anything like that happened.

I do get that people enjoy the flexibility of the MDR larger size, so it's just a case (to me anyway) if the extra choice comes at too high price, then Muse isn't for you. A free for all in 8 different restaurants with limited capacities will always be an issue without reservations.

I think the main point is being missed by some.

The whole idea of more restaurants and this style of dining was that you now had a wider range of places to choose from, in a less formal and more relaxed and spontaneous environment in which you could decide where you fancied eating each night as the mood took you. Whether one has reservations honoured or not is one issue. It is an important issue given the problems there now are, but it isn't the main issue.

The main issue remains that very few people wish to book restaurants many months out. Most people going on holiday have not planned on a Monday where they plan to eat on Wednesday let alone planning in February where they might eat on a Tuesday night in August. Or indeed all 14 nights on a 14 night cruise. Or even worst, a world cruise. This flexibility is even more essential when you are effectively imprisoned within the confines of a ship where you simply cannot travel a bit further or ask the concierge and get into a taxi for a ten minute ride. On land you have a potential choice of hundreds of dining options and you should pretty much always know you can find somewhere you fancy to eat. On a ship you are limited to a few and this shouldn't be the product that has now emerged. Flexibility and capacity is even more important on a ship keeping in mind the more limted choices on offer.

SS can only assert that this offering has worked when people can expect to eat where they wish with whom they wish without the need to plan six months ahead. If it cannot do that in my view it remains an inherrently flawed product unsuitable for the majority of people they are trying to attract. I cannot see how it can offer that flexibility unless they "under occupy" the ship or build extensions and increase staffing of the restaurants neither of which will happen.

It seems clear to me that the product wasn't modelled properly and has an inherent design flaw that is unlikely to find a cure that would be satisfactory to the majority.

Thanks for clarifying David. If it were as it sounded that people had bookings and weren't allowed to use (even with a small delay for whatever reason, then that would be completely unacceptable. Dinning on board is not a rushed affair and if I was asked to give them 15 minutes - go have a drink at the bar, it's really not an issue.

I do agree with what you've said for solos and have voiced those concerns for them in numerous occasions.

I will find out first hand shortly. If my reservations are "lost" and not honoured, or I'm expected to bribe the Maitre D, as someone suggested, I most certainly will be making my views known and expect them to do something to my satisfaction if anything like that happened.

I do get that people enjoy the flexibility of the MDR larger size, so it's just a case (to me anyway) if the extra choice comes at too high price, then Muse isn't for you. A free for all in 8 different restaurants with limited capacities will always be an issue without reservations.

We genuinely did not have an issue with the Maitre'D, they were friendly and professional and I got no sign of bribery so I really hope you find the same.

I also agree with you extra dining choice has come at a price and it would be chaos if it was a free for all, it is very different from other SS ships but I genuinely thought the food presentation and quality surpassed all other SS ships and we decided this was down to the small dining venues and paced guest arrival.

Let me know how it goes.

The whole idea of more restaurants and this style of dining was that you now had a wider range of places to choose from, in a less formal and more relaxed and spontaneous environment in which you could decide where you fancied eating each night as the mood took you. Whether one has reservations honoured or not is one issue. It is an important issue given the problems there now are, but it isn't the main issue.

The main issue remains that very few people wish to book restaurants many months out. Most people going on holiday have not planned on a Monday where they plan to eat on Wednesday let alone planning in February where they might eat on a Tuesday night in August. Or indeed all 14 nights on a 14 night cruise. Or even worst, a world cruise. This flexibility is even more essential when you are effectively imprisoned within the confines of a ship where you simply cannot travel a bit further or ask the concierge and get into a taxi for a ten minute ride. On land you have a potential choice of hundreds of dining options and you should pretty much always know you can find somewhere you fancy to eat. On a ship you are limited to a few and this shouldn't be the product that has now emerged. Flexibility and capacity is even more important on a ship keeping in mind the more limted choices on offer.

SS can only assert that this offering has worked when people can expect to eat where they wish with whom they wish without the need to plan six months ahead. If it cannot do that in my view it remains an inherrently flawed product unsuitable for the majority of people they are trying to attract. I cannot see how it can offer that flexibility unless they "under occupy" the ship or build extensions and increase staffing of the restaurants neither of which will happen.

It seems clear to me that the product wasn't modelled properly and has an inherent design flaw that is unlikely to find a cure that would be satisfactory to the majority.

I agree with you Jeff.

It worked for me but I am a bit of an organisation freak and like to book ahead, I always use the term "its easier to cancel than it is to book" but I completely accept that this isn't how the majority like to work.

Like you, I am not sure how they easily solve this issue for guests.

If one is asked to wait in the adjoining Atlantide bar then be aware that it is a small area with others waiting for a table also.....and as I've stated before can become chaotic.

Solos are not catered for.....end of....and again as I've mentioned before.... At the solos meet with the social hostess l overheard the said hostess stating that she "now had to find somewhere for them to eat"....I do not attend these meets but had l been involved l would have been mortified and no...l wouldn't wish to be placed on a big table for solos where we stand out like a sore thumb.

Les.....nothing about lost reservations or bribery were just suggested....they were FACT........and witnessed by me.....your continuous referral to 'some' on this board is becoming tiresome.

I finally...since l emailed SS stating the various issues on the so called inaugural in April have received a reply from guest relations......basically the usual BS about how they are striving to ensure all guests are happy and also to iron out certain problems particularly with dining....they gave no indication that things would change in the near future. I have however been awarded $500 obc for a future voyage but would have much preferred to have enjoyed a stress free cruise from the start.

Sophia 😊

I have however been awarded $500 obc for a future voyage but would have much preferred to have enjoyed a stress free cruise from the start.
Glad they offered you a $500 OBC for your trouble. While it doesn't change the stress you encountered during your cruise, it at least recognizes the issue and offers a monetary resolution.

Best regards to you!

...... and as I have said as a statement of fact. I used Terraza pretty much every night on (from recall) one fifteen night run when "special arrangements" had been made for us. We observed on every night queues with people being turned away but followed by people where heads were shaken as in "no tables" only to see that they "palmed" cash and were showed tables. I reported this "up the line" but nothing was done. We saw the same behaviour from the same MD on subsequent cruises.

No one has suggested that everyone has or need to do it as has been constantly implied that I and others have said, just that it does happen and in my view should be a disciplainary matter for MD's taking tips and I also like Sophia resent the constantly repeated snide insinuation that what I and others have seen is untrue.

This is really extra important on a ship like Muse where capacity is limited and within the gift of an MD.

Perfect description, Jeff, of how I view this dining arrangement. I have to say when I saw the itinerary, and photos of the Muse, I was ready to jump on this cruise. BUT - like you say, I just have no idea what kind of food I am going to want to eat many months in advance. Nor whether I am going to want to be informal, or have to wear formal clothing. But more important to us, the huge majority of people we have befriended on well over 20 cruises have been people we were randomly seated with at dinner, whether it was open seating or fixed seating. We have always asked for large tables and to join others. In that way, we met other people who also wanted to meet others. That is what will be missed by this dining arrangement.

I so agree about the basic flaws in the dining on the Muse. Yes Jeff, as it stands with a full ship they have to have a reservation system which can never satisfy everyone. It's sad as the restaurants on board have brought innovation and more choice to the customer and also in our experience a higher standard of food. The huge thing is that it removes the " dine with whosoever you wish, wherever you wish at any time" completely which has always been a big plus for SS. We too have seen the "greasing of the palm" on occasions and it does spoil things for the majority of customers. Sad as The Muse is a success in so many ways. We are lucky to be travelling as a couple but there may come a time when this is different. I would like to think that SS would still want us as customers.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...... and as I have said as a statement of fact. I used Terraza pretty much every night on (from recall) one fifteen night run when "special arrangements" had been made for us. We observed on every night queues with people being turned away but followed by people where heads were shaken as in "no tables" only to see that they "palmed" cash and were showed tables. I reported this "up the line" but nothing was done. We saw the same behaviour from the same MD on subsequent cruises.

No one has suggested that everyone has or need to do it as has been constantly implied that I and others have said, just that it does happen and in my view should be a disciplainary matter for MD's taking tips and I also like Sophia resent the constantly repeated snide insinuation that what I and others have seen is untrue.

This is really extra important on a ship like Muse where capacity is limited and within the gift of an MD.

I am not sure who has suggested your comments regarding MDs are untrue, if you have seen it then no-one should have reason to disbelieve you and it is a concern. However, all I am stating is that I did not see bribery or tipping to MDs when I was on board (13 days) to be fair I was not regularly seated near the MD station in any restaurant I will pay more attention next time.

I certainly believe management should research this and should remove any MD who is allowing guests to circumvent the system as SS are supposedly gratuities included and not expected.

I am not sure who has suggested your comments regarding MDs are untrue, if you have seen it then no-one should have reason to disbelieve you and it is a concern. However, all I am stating is that I did not see bribery or tipping to MDs when I was on board (13 days) to be fair I was not regularly seated near the MD station in any restaurant I will pay more attention next time.

I certainly believe management should research this and should remove any MD who is allowing guests to circumvent the system as SS are supposedly gratuities included and not expected.

Thanks.

Sophia replied to the poster. Sophia and I were merely saying that those who imply or assert that the absence of evidence by many is therefore the evidence of absence by all are simply wrong and has been rudely expressed. By it's very nature this process is very subtle, descreet and intended not to be observed and it is hardly suprising that a relatively few people have noticed it. It is irritating when it is implied we are being untruthful.

People under-estimate the potential this practice has to unfairly disrupt the majority's enjoyment when a very small number of floating tables ie unreserved and free is bartered by MD's.

I think SS has created a big mess for itself with this ill conceived venture. It's one of those things that may have sounded good on paper but does not work in reality. I hope they are already working with a design team to come up with some space large enough or a way to combine several smaller spaces into an MDR and that they go into dry dock asap to implement that change.

On the Cloud this Christmas and New Year we were astounded to see one couple every evening, except one, sitting at the exact same window table in the MDR and at whatever time they chose to eat. I love a window seat but there was never any available. Now you tell me that was coincidence without any palms being greased. And yes at the end of the voyage I did make sure it was noted formally as well as making sure the MD knew he'd been rumbled.

Nothing happened as far as I know.

MM

It is a simple concept to grasp.

If a tip is given after a service it is appreciation. If it is given before a service it is a bribe. Appreciation is nice, bribery isn't.

Perfectly explained........a bribe it is then.

MM

Looking forward to your Muse reporting. There is way to much 'past history' on this thread to be in any way useful to those who are considering the Muse.

Have a great trip.

I am so sorry I did not mean to offend to the level that I made you use the word "pariah". As I am not single soI do not feel qualified to comment further other than suggest, if you have not done already, feed back to SS what has worked for you in the past, I do not see they can create a "main dining room" but they surely will try to accommodate and make solos feel welcome as this appears to me to be a large proportion of some cruises especially longer voyages.

Apologies again if I offended it was not intended.

My apologies Davidc32. I didn't intend to say you were offending with your idea, although my strong words did make it sound like that's what I was saying. What you suggested regarding dining for solos has been brought up before. I don't think it would be satisfactory to many of us, - I think it would make people start to feel like they are part of a group of outcasts, separated from the rest, and relegated to a special table with their own kind. And yet, under the current dining structure, this may be the best they can do to accommodate solos who don't want to eat alone. Not satisfactory at all.

I don't think you were being offensive. I think SS, in their design for dining on the Muse, is offending solo travelers.

Edited by Bon.Vivant

BV,

The question anyone concerned about how solos are going to be treated in future on Muse have to realistically ask themselves what options SS have open to them., and which of those they are likely to choose.

With a level of oversll capacity that has proved itself constrained, it seems to me that one thing they will wish to do all they can to avoid is having singles occupying tables for two. So that leaves either seating them together to optimise tables, or tagging them on to other larger open tables where several couples and larger groups have said they wish to meet others.

The second option seems better than the first but that requires the MD knowing in advance that he will reliably have such tables. It also requires trouble and effort. Also an early single arriver, will they place a single at such an open empty table early by themselves before other diners have arrived at that table and risk a seat left over, or wait until it's full with only one seat remaining. And will a single feel uncomfortable sitting at a large open table waiting for unknown others to arrive at an unknown time by themselves, as they may feel uncomfortable as it looks a bit odd. Do they order food or wait.

Will MDs in reality take the trouble or take the line of least and easiest resistance of doing what they appear currently to do and leave the job to a host to herd singles around in a group hoping to find tables irrespective of what individuals would prefer. I don't think you need to see what they are likely to do.

On a cruise with low occupancy the issue is eased and probably dissapears.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff