Redeeming Celebrity Rewards....there must be a way. How??

Cindy G

We have both, a Celebrity Visa and a Celebrity AMEX. I was on the phone for more than 45 minutes today, attempting to redeem our rewards for cabin credit on our upcoming cruise. I was told months ago the points could be combined. Today, after dailing four different 800 numbers and going through the various prompts, I still do not know how to get our cabin credit. Is there a secret code...or number, or something? One customer service rep said that we would be sent a "voucher." It that correct? How soon can I expect it? Do I take the voucher with us? It seems to me that I should be able to have the credits appear on our onboard account, just like the shareholder credits. Is that possible? I know someone has the answers....and I thank you in advance.

Cindy: I had the same problem, only it took me a few days to even get through to MBNA.

Here is what I finally did: I went on http://www.mbnarewards.com. Then I put in my account # and the other info they ask you for. Make sure you put in the #'s for the primary card holder. (that's where my issue was).

You can access your account there. I did print out 12 pages of Q and A's that answer all your questions.

There is also a phone # to call to redeem pts. 1-888-257-8425. You will get an order # from them. Then you call Celebrity at 1-800-760-0654 and tell them what voyage you are on etc. and also give them your order #. They will then (hopefully) put the shipboard credits on your account.

At least, this is what I understand, but I have not done it yet.

Good luck.

Gracecarmo....thanks for the speedy reply! I was feeling exasperated earlier today. The process certainly is not user friendly. I was on the website and the phone for too long....this should be an easy process. After learning of your experience, I feel a little better. What's the old saying.....misery loves company? I do have the 1-888-257-8425 number, finally someone gave it to me. But then....you can only call during the week. How crazy is that? Also, I was told to use prompt #3....we'll see. I will let you know on Monday. I am still shaking my head.

Cindy, Grace is correct. you must redeem your reward credits and then they send them to X so you must call and tell them where...what ship and when --you want to use them for. i thought , like you i would get a voucher, when it didn't come i just called. the people that i spoke to were all very nice and helpful. hope everything turns out okay for you, judy

We have the Royal Carib MBNA card which I assume is quite similar....The process is painful & you have to shepherd things at each step along the way...we did get our vouchers & they were applied but it was not that easy! We will only use them for ship board credit although we may soon have enough for a free companion fare--I would not take the chance...Good luck

It seems that this shouldn't be so difficult. Judy, did you use the same number that I was given? Does anyone have an idea of the turn around time? What time frames are we dealing with? After redeeming the rewards....how soon can we expect it to "register" with Celebrity...then of course the next question, how soon can the credits be applied? I do not find the Celebrity site....or the MBNA site to be helpful, information and phone number are certainly lacking. And as for the numbers, a word of advice....write them down and file them with your credit card information. Just having the 800 numbers would have saved me a lot of time. They are not listed anywhere!

Thanks for your help....the saga will continue until tomorrow (at least.)

Cindy,

Good Luck, A few months ago I went thru the same thing. When I called MBNA to try and redeem my points for ship board credits they had no clue what I was talking about. I had to call the Captain's Club, option 2 (I think) and a nice lady walked me thru the process. I complained to her at that time that it shouldn't be so complicated. Guess no one listened or cared.

Hard to understand that the marketing "geniuses" created these programs to make customers happy...to often these type of issues cause clients to say "never again".

(Hey!! My avatar worked!! That's our boat!!)

I have had no problems with redeeming points for on board credits. Go to MBNArewards.com. If you haven't set up an on line account, maybe that is the problem. you just sign in and it takes you to your total points. You select what you want to "buy" and get a receipt for it with a confirmation number. You call captain's club and tell them the confirmation number and which sailing (booking number to which it will be applied) and you have the credit immediately.

I am exhausted....I spent countless minutes on the phone again today with MBNA....could never get through to a live person. Finally, I called the Captains Club and relayed the calls of the last two days. "Noel" tried to help and had her supervisor call MBNA...guess what? She was on hold for over an hour. "Noel" called me just as I was leaving work and said that they would get back with me tomorrow. Nothing should be this difficult.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestion?

Cindy: after I got my registration straightened out (on their web site) I could access my points, redeem points, etc.

Did you put in your credit card #, your social security #, your birthdate,plus all the info they ask for like phone, address, and mother's maiden name?

At first, (when I had all the trouble like you are experienceing) I put in MY info, but I am not the PRIMARY card holder, my dh is. After I entered in all his info I could get my points.

I know how frustrating it is....keep trying, and let us know how you do?

Hard to understand that the marketing "geniuses" created these programs to make customers happy...to often these type of issues cause clients to say "never again".

Understand that they haven't created these programs to make happy customers -- they've done it to make the $$$ from the customer's use of the credit card. Airline cards are similar. The miles you get from the $ spent don't put much of a dent in their profits. Remember, even if you pay off the card promptly, they still stick it to the merchants.

MBNA isn't noted for their customer service or relations, either. About the only worse outfit Celebrity could have picked would have been Providian!

Nice avatar, BTW. Are you already planning the date to put her back into the water, and is the offer of the bridge tour still good for the 2006 season???

Cindy, i redeemed my points on the credit card web site. i then called the credit card company and they told me to call celebrity and tell them which cruise i wanted the ship board credit applied to. the credit card company gave me a number to give to the captain 's club when i called. it really was painless. they did suggest i call back in a few days to make sure they have been applied..must confess i have not done that yet. the first phone number was to mbna...not sure what number i used. they gave me the comfirmation # then i called 800 760 0654. good luck. sorry you are having a problem with this.

MBNA's customer service, can I say, sucks? When I first got my card I called to activate it, as directed. I went to use it the first time at a store owned by a friend for a $1000. purchase. It was declined!!! I was totally embarrassed. I used another card, left and when I got home called MBNA to find out what happend.. Turned out the rep. closed my accout my mistake when I called to activate it. I made them call my friend to explain the error was their mistake so she wouldn't think I was a dead beat. It turned out ok, but my point is, their attitude is they just don't care. When I called to redeem my points for our cruise, I got transfered around and around and no one had any clue what I was talking about.

I agree, the problem is with MBNA. I heard all sorts of excuses, I don't knows, the computer is down, I have no idea who to transfer you to...basically every excuse in the book.

I finally got through last night.....one thing I did learn, after getting lots of bad information, at this time, points form the Visa and AMEX cards can not be combined. But effective Dec. 5....they can be. Yippee! That is a good thing. Get this...after going round and round about if they can do it in six days....why not now....a Customer Service Rep called me back and said that he would combine the points for a $35.00 service fee. How stupid is that....pay a $35.00 service fee for a $50.00 onboard credit? That was the final insult.

I did get a credit for $150.00 and will save the remaining for future cruises. I did relay the events to a Capt's Club Rep. and asked that they let the powers to be know the difficulty that I experienced. Will it change things with MBNA....no, but I felt better.

Thanks to everyone for their support and sharing in my misery. It did make things a little easier. At least I knew it wasn't "me."

Here's to Rewards and cruising.....

Cheers, Cindy G

sorry everyone has had such problems with this. like i said before i redeemed my points on the web site for the crdit card. i called today and the $50 credit has been applied to my onboard credit...fun...$50 for just using the card one time....$150?

If you are asking how we got a $150.00 credit...we charged the cruise to the AMEX card earning triple rewards. I think the offer was to end 12-31-05....but now has been extended through 2006. Can anyone confirm that?

MBNA's customer service, can I say, sucks? When I first got my card I called to activate it, as directed. I went to use it the first time at a store owned by a friend for a $1000. purchase. It was declined!!! I was totally embarrassed. I used another card, left and when I got home called MBNA to find out what happend.. Turned out the rep. closed my accout my mistake when I called to activate it. I made them call my friend to explain the error was their mistake so she wouldn't think I was a dead beat. It turned out ok, but my point is, their attitude is they just don't care. When I called to redeem my points for our cruise, I got transfered around and around and no one had any clue what I was talking about.

I opened my account aboard ship last month. It was used for 2 deposits before we disembarked and before I ever saw a card. Yesterday, I finally got around to activating the card that was waiting for me when we got home. It was as smooth as silk. The rep offered to help me redeem the points I got when the account was opened. I didn't want that, but did want to confirm what benefits I had. He not only confirmed what I knew to be the benefits, but told me what websites and restaurants would give me double points when used. He was very helpful. Maybe, I shouldn't call again and break my record. Oh, and I opened the online access last night; piece of cake. And as previously stated, there is a link for redemption.

I'm really wishing I didnt sign up for this! Dialed 1-888-257-8425, they told me I had to book WITH THEM! I'm booked and paid for, and if I weren't I would not book with them ($500 more than I paid). Tried to redeem online, the print is tee, tee tiny. I can't read a thing. I've a little over 30,000 points and have no idea what their good for or how I can redeem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frustrated David

David,

Once again you are the victim of bad information. You can book your cruise with the TA of your choice. I am proof of that! I can not believe that MBNA stays in business, but I understand that Jupiter is just as bad. A co-worker travels on Carnival and she has the same problems.

If you can log on to the MBNARewards website....navigate to Celebrity. You will find two pages of items to choose from....Celebrity robes, on-board credits, spa treatments, etc.

I wish I could help...I know first hand what an ordeal this is. I spent hours trying to redeem my rewards. Nothing should be so difficult, but I was to the point of not giving up. If it weren't for the rewards, I would never do business with MBNA again. Good luck. Bon Voyage.....Cindy G

Archived