Carnival newbie cruising with Victory (trip report and photos 5/29/17 - 6/2/17)

scrapfan

Whitehead Street dead ends at the Southernmost Point where of course we had to get a picture. 9:23am

IMG_2405.jpg

**There was already a line (probably 25 people deep) waiting to get their picture made in front of the marker but it moved pretty fast.

IMG_0459.jpg

The trolley stop for City View was at the Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory just around the corner on Duval Street. We got on the trolley there (this was actually stop #5) and made the last half of the loop until we got back to Front Street where we switched trams and road the complete loop again.

Cemetery

IMG_1853.jpg

Sites around Key West

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

We wanted to do some shopping so we walked down Greene Street and turned right onto Duval Street.

IMG_1909.jpg

IT’SUGAR candy store (11:23am)

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Bar (cute sign)

IMG_0520.jpg

And we ran into Spiderman (11:40am)

IMG_0527.jpg

(Our last name is Webb and my husband’s nickname is “Spiderman” hence the photo)

IMG_0532.jpg

I couldn’t believe Jaycee let him pick her up but she has been doing gymnastics and she loves Spiderman; she thought it was the coolest thing.

We tipped Spiderman and kept walking.

We made it back to the Front Street to where we would ride the trolley back to the base, the line was manageable so we decided to run into Ron Jon Surf Shop which was just next door. Within a matter of 20 minutes the line had grown all the way around the building and down the street, wow.

We got in line and were on the trolley at 12:27pm.

IMG_1919.jpg

We were back at the ship at 12:49pm and the lines were looong to get back on board. Matey the cruise director was out there directing traffic and cutting up with everyone (he was a hoot).

Matey

IMG_2416.jpg

Crowd

IMG_2418.jpg

We finally made it back on board, dropped our stuff off in our room and decided to grab some lunch. We were at the buffet around 1:33pm and the lines were pretty long but moved fast.

Buffet

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

Roger decided to try the Seafood Shack (I meant to the whole trip but never did), he got the oysters and really liked them.

IMG_2423.jpg

Here is a screen shot of part of today’s Carnival app.

IMG_2422.png

At this point is was around 2:30pm and everyone went different directions, I went back to the room to shower and hang out on the balcony.

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Tonight was formal dining so we got ready and headed on down to the lobby on deck 3 to hang out before dinner. We decided to eat at 5:45pm when they opened and would meet up with everyone then. Photographers were everywhere and since my husband hates dressing up and hates having pictures made even more I drug him to at least 3 different stations to have our pictures made;). Some of the pictures were just awful but 1 guy did an awesome job so of course I was suckered into those pictures.

a09p25964.jpg

Our group met up at 5:45pm at theAtlantic Dining room and were seated immediately, this time at a large roundtable right at the bottom of the stairs. Later on that night the wait staffwould perform and we had a front row seat.

Most people that I saw were dressed up but nothing too extravagant, I would say Sunday best. I did notice a couple of guys in jeans but nothing too out there (it really didn’t bother me either way, I was there for my family and didn’t worry about other people).

IMG_2439.jpg

Tonight’s bread basket

IMG_2440.jpg

Table setting

IMG_2441.jpg

Again we decided to try different appetizers and see what we liked; tonight we tried…

Appetizers:

Shrimp Cocktail – got it again because it was awesome

IMG_2443.jpg

Broiled Sea Scallops – good but didn’t like the pasty rice

IMG_2442.jpg

Baked Stuffed Mushrooms – really good – the consensus of the group

IMG_2444.jpg

Caesar Salad – good

IMG_2449.jpg

KidsMenu:

Kids Spaghetti – I didn’t try it but Jaycee said it was good

IMG_2446.jpg

Chicken Nuggets & fries

IMG_2447.jpg

Mains:

Blue Crab Ravoli – I thought it was good but couldn’t finish it, not crazy about the sauce

IMG_2450.jpg

Oven Baked Japanese Sea Bass – Gavin liked the bass and he said the rice tasted like it had been cooked in coconut oil???

IMG_2452.jpg

Grilled Jumbo Shrimp – good (but I love shrimp) the potatoes were just ok

IMG_2451.jpg

Roasted Duck – had a good taste and was tender

IMG_2453.jpg

Tender Roasted Prime Rib – tender and cooked good, Roger loved it but I am not a prime rib kinda girl

IMG_2455.jpg

Pork Chop – I did not try but it looked good

IMG_2457.jpg

Zucchini and Eggplant Parmigiana – ok as a vegetarian dish

IMG_2458.jpg

Flat Iron Steak w/ baked potato – John ordered this medium rare tonight so it came out perfect but he got some kind of deep fried potatoes instead of a baked potato

IMG_2454.jpg

**John ordered the New York Strip off the Steakhouse Selections menu and the waiter said it would be at least 40 minutes or so before they would have it ready. He decided to skip it and go with the flat iron steak again.

Desserts:

IMG_2459.jpg

Vanilla Crème Brulee – good but sweet, I really like the topping

IMG_2466.jpg

Carnival Melting Chocolate Cake – John ordered it tonight but asked for double ice cream, still good

IMG_2467.jpg

Malted Chocolate Hazelnut Cake – OK but I did not like the coffee taste

IMG_2470.jpg

Fresh Tropical Fruit Plate – yummy

IMG_2469.jpg

Cheese Plate – Cindy and I both ordered one to take back to our rooms (keep in mind the plate will not fit inside the fridge) **I didn't get a picture of it**

Bananna Split (kids menu)

IMG_2468.jpg

COFFEE CREAM CAKE **Sorry no picture**

The waiters danced and sang for us tonight and encouraged everyone to participate. Overall I really enjoyed dinner tonight.

We didn’t make it to the Taste Bar until after dinner and we were too stuffed to try anything. Tonight they were sampling from Cucina del Capitano: Nonna’s Meatballs and Hand Whipped Ricotta Brushchetta.

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

We went to the 8pm showing of Living in America (they even did a number to “Rocky Top” which the husbands loved because of Tennessee football).

IMG_2481.jpg

After the show (around 9:45pm) the kids went to the arcade while the adults went to try out Alchemy Bar. The menus light up when opened …

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

…our bartender Ionia did an awesome job.

IMG_0439.jpg

You can order from the menu or they can make you a custom drink which all were good (except for the Cucumber Sunrise which I really found just horrible). They can make regular or non-alcohol drinks if you prefer.

We went to the 10:30pm adult comedy show and it was packed. We found a table and stayed for the 11:30pm show too.

IMG_2504.jpg

After the last show we swung by the arcade to get the kids then back to our room for bed.

Tonight's Towel Animal

IMG_1920.jpg

I just realized I didn't post today's Fun Times...

FunTimes_Day2_Page1%20Key%20West.jpg

FunTimes_Day2_Page2%20Key%20West.jpg

FunTimes_Day2_Page3%20Key%20West.jpg

Day 3 (May 31st) Cozumel:

FunTimes_Day3_Page1%20Cozumel.jpg

FunTimes_Day3_Page2%20Cozumel.jpg

FunTimes_Day3_Page3%20Cozumel.jpg

We decided to try breakfast in the dining room this morning so at 8am we all met up at the Pacific Dining Room (again the Victory is a little confusing navigating the ship). It was not crowded at all and the service was a little slow; I think I still like the convenience of the buffet since I’m not a big breakfast eater.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

After breakfast we decided to all go with Jaycee to the Adriatic Aft Lounge to meet up for the Dr Seuss parade at 10:15am. They let the kids pick up tambourines or flags to carry in the parade.

Matey came out dressed for the parade…

IMG_2522.jpg

Then Sam I Am came around and visited the children.

IMG_2526.jpg

The parade started and we made our way down to deck 3 into the Caribbean Lounge for the Dr Seuss Storytelling where Thing 1 & 2 as well as the Cat in the Hat were waiting.

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

The kids went up on stage for the storytelling while Matey selected 4 audience members to help tell the story.

IMG_2535.jpg

We finished up around 10:45am so we headed back to our rooms to get ready for Cozumel. We docked around 11am and were off the ship by 11:43am.

a04p05579.jpg

As you exit the ship you walk thru shops at Puerta Maya dock then it opens up into another large outside shopping area with more chain type stores.

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

I had booked us an excursion for a private jeep tour with Cozumel Cruise Excursions and we were to meet up with the guides at the Hard Rock gift shop.

IMG_0574.jpg

We got there a little after noon and Paco and Yaret met us then we walked a short distance to the jeeps.

They had 3 jeeps reserved for us, the guides drove the 1st one, while the husbands drove the other 2 as we followed them. (The jeeps were older but mechanically were ok, our jeep had a/c and a hard top and the last jeep was a standard shift.)

IMG_2540.jpg

Before we headed out the guides went over the tour and got our input on what sites we would like to see, snorkeling was at the top of our list so we did that first.

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

When we arrived at Tortugas Beach Club to snorkel the guides helped explain everything to our group since none of us had been snorkeling before; Paco lead our group out in the water and Yaret stayed right with the 5 year old to make sure she wasn't afraid and got to have the same experience as the rest of us (this was worth the cost of the tour by itself)!

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg