A question about informal nights

jasgkinsey

This will be our 4th Celebrity cruise. On our first one there were no informal nights even though Celebrity said there would be. On our last cruise there was one informal night and I hadn't packed a sport coat so I wore my tux jacket and took it off after I was seated. If anyone has sailed Infinity lately, what did they do about informal night? Our cruise is December 10 and it is a two week cruise so I don't want to pack anything I don't have to. Celebrity says that there will be four informal nights. If they wanted you to wear a jacket on informal night, did they require a tie? I would appreciate a knowledgeable reply.

Just got back from the Mercury Mexico cruise. Two informal nights. First night I wore a collared shirt with a blazer. Next time just a collared shirt. Seemed to me about 1/3 coat with tie, 1/3 no tie, but coat, 1/3 collared shirt. Wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

We just got back from Galaxy to Panama and we're still alittle confused about Celebrity's dress policies. I agree that most people dressed fairly close to what was requested, but Galaxy did not enforce any rules. We saw even on formal nights everything from tuxs to teenage boys in shorts and plain T shirts. I was really puzzled by this. Everywhere you look you see rules about no shorts and T shirts in the dining room in the evening. I would have been so embarressed for my son to show up looking like these boys did, especially on formal night. They did show up on a later night with shirts with collars, and then back to shorts and T shirts. Maybe someone is asking themselves why I even noticed this and why I'm commenting on it. It was our first Celebrity cruise and we were curious to see if they would enforce the rules, because all the cruises we had done before (Princess and Carnival) didn't. My husband dressed as requested on the informal nights in a suit and tie. But after seeing men in just sport shirts on 3 previous informal nights, he just went with a button up shirt and jacket on the next go around. So I guess what I'm getting at is dress nicely and dress in what you're comfortable in. We happen to like getting dressed up so that's what we did!

I agree, at least a jacket, and if I am requested to wear a jacket, I wear a tie.\

Phil

I am a little confused.....informal on Celebrity requests a jacket but not a tie. I have worn a jacket and a tux type shirt w/o a tie, I have also worn a blazer with a dress type shirt also no tie and I have worn a blazer or jacket with a tie.

Now, Phil do you wear a jacket when a tie is requested and a tie rather than a jacket or do you wear a jacket and a tie when you are asked to wear a jacket?

I am a little confused.....informal on Celebrity requests a jacket but not a tie. I have worn a jacket and a tux type shirt w/o a tie, I have also worn a blazer with a dress type shirt also no tie and I have worn a blazer or jacket with a tie.

Now, Phil do you wear a jacket when a tie is requested and a tie rather than a jacket or do you wear a jacket and a tie when you are asked to wear a jacket?

LOL, Ok heres the real deal. Since we moved to the mountains sometime ago, I seldom have the opportunity to wear ties, however I have a real bad habit of buying relatively expensive ties, just because I like the way they look.

now when Marti starts to pack for a cruise, she asks me which if these expensive ties I will be wearing. Well, I once said thatI would leave the ties home and just wear a jacket. That went over like the proverbial lead balloon, I think her comment was, " well in that case, you won't mind if I take all of your ties and make a tail for a kite" or maybe it was something about a noose. So ever since, I wear ties with jackets and even sometimes without :D

Phil (king of ties)

NOW.........I understand. I am happy to report I have done exactly the same thing as I figured if I was going to pay that kind of dough for a tie I was going to wear the damn thing.

I had another experience along those same lines, Wanda took me shopping (yes, I am helpless) before our first cruise. I had gained a considerable amount of weight having quit smoking about 6 months earlier, I needed new everything.

I HAD to have a new pair of shoes to go with the suit and these were around a hundred bucks, the salesman had a nice pair of wooden shoe trees alongside the shoe box, I think there were 17-18 bucks? I told him I didn't need them and if I needed to keep the shape of the shoes I would stuff them full of newspaper. Both he and Wanda started calling me names so I gave in and bought the things and I have been trying to figure out some way to wear the lousy things since!

Phil, you and Marti are getting "short" as we said in Uncles Navy, if I miss you have a great cruise.

Archived