Attention All Divers...

VABeach

I have never sailed the Eastern Caribbean itenerary before, so I need a little help.

My friend and I will be sailing and would like to do the Beginner SCUBA (non-certified) or SNUBA dive at one island. (We have done it before at other islands).

Our choices are down to: St. Maarten, or St. Thomas.

Which one is better? St. Thomas cost more, but we are willing to pay the higher price if the scenery is better.

Thanks for any advice!

You might try posting this under the Ports of Call boards since it isn't particularly a HAL question. I haven't dived either place (my experience is in BVI, Hawaii, Cayman Islands, Bonaire), but I would expect either place to have good to excellent, but not outstanding dive spots. They are in the same part of the Caribbean. Have a great cruise!

Both are good places to scuba. However, I would suggest that of the two, St. Maarten would be the better. There is a dive shop within walking distance of the dock and they were very well organized and skilled. Down side was that they were French and some of them smoked. I don't have the names of the various dive shops on the two islands available at this time, but can get them later.

I would also recommend scuba over snuba.

I agree w/scuba diver. That being said, my overall favorite diving destination remains Grand Cayman (fav spot: Devil's Grotto). The meanest shark I ever got chased by was in Nassau! The most unique sight was the fresh water underground cave at the base of the Pitons, St Lucia. Worse current: Cancun! The most barren sight was near the base of Diamond Head - Oahu, HI. Your dives will be dependent on where the dive boat captain takes you, the weather conditions, the time of day. IMHO know what you will do and where you are going prior to signing up. May you enjoy the seas all ways and always.

In St. Maarten I can recommend "Scuba Fun Dive Center" which is within a short walking distance from the cruise pier. Here is their web page: http://www.scubafun.com/dutch.html

They have a resort dive for non-certified divers for $75.

I can't find the name of the dive shop on St. Thomas, but it was the only one at Cokie Beach. When you get off the ship just ask for a bus or cab going to cokie beach. They have a mobile van that brings all of the gear to the beach. My taxi was $7 each way.

we're not divers.. although we have done SNUBA on St John.. we've done a lot of snorkeling in the islands.. our two snorkel favorites are Bonaire and Grand Cayman

you might want to try this site http://www.***** go to the drop-down

links for either St Thomas or St John..and click on Snorkel and Dive for area dive shops.. we prefer St John .. a lot less crowded than across the bay in St Thomas

Archived