Private Cuba tours

Miker1112

My wife and I did a 10 day intensive cruise to Cuba in March 2018 with Azamara. We booked FerTours for tours in Havana on both the first and second day. Pepe our tour guide was extraordinary... he had a great grasp of English and gave a comprehensive account of the history and culture of the places we visited. No question about Cuba generally and Havana specifically was off limit and he answered with sincerity and passion. We just wish we could now remember everything he said! On the first day we ported at 3 pm and so started out with a one and a half hour walking tourof Old Havana, visiting the best places in old Havana, colonial Havana and its four oldest squares, the Capitol building and its surroundings and more! This was followed by a two hour tour in a convertible car which took us around Revolution Square and the seawall (malecon) and other highlights of the city including to the Hotel Nacional to sample a Mojito. The next day we met Pepe for a hard top classic car visit to places like Hemingway's home and Fusterlandia. We finished with souvenir shopping at San Jose Market. We shared with another couple so the total cost of the two days was 170 CUCs per couple which was a fraction of the price that the ship charges for a shore excursion and with only four people we were comfortably able to squeeze into the classic cars, hear every word spoken by Pepe and able to chat one-on-one. I should add that went to the Tropicana Cabaret on the second nights and FerTours arranged taxis (classic cars) for a group of 12 of us. Nothing was too difficult nor too expensive. We would recommend FerTours in a heartbeat!!

This thread has been very informational! We will be on RCCL Empress of the Seas - June 18th cruise and I think we will book one of the Fertours excursions. Our friends' Travel Agent and RCCL directly have told us we must book through the cruiseline (we have booked day 2 - Hemingway's Havana through them) but apparently they cannot force you to stay on the ship if we do not book through them on Day One?

This thread has been very informational! We will be on RCCL Empress of the Seas - June 18th cruise and I think we will book one of the Fertours excursions. Our friends' Travel Agent and RCCL directly have told us we must book through the cruiseline (we have booked day 2 - Hemingway's Havana through them) but apparently they cannot force you to stay on the ship if we do not book through them on Day One?

Hi kcparrothead - so glad to read of your upcoming trip and your desire to book through FerTours. We are among those who loved them, from our trip last summer on Carnival!

Regarding policies around cruise ship tours, I can’t answer for RCCL, but I’m almost completely sure they will let you get off the ship and visit Cuba on your itinerary, rather than through their own tours. One area where you may want to check is if they will give disembarking priority to the people who have booked the cruise ship tours. When we had our Carnival cruise, they did assign earlier disembarking times to the people on the Carnival-arranged tours. But we were then allowed off early as well, just by showing them written confirmation of our private tour.

If you have the possibility, I would recommend switching your Day 2 tour of Hemingway’s Havana to a private one. You will likely see all the same things and more, for less money and in a smaller group.

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have been told wrong. If you read through this forum, you'll find many, many examples of people who booked no tours and just explored Havana on their own. Check "Support of the Cuban People" on your affidavit and go enjoy yourselves. No one cares - not the cruiseline and certainly not the Cuban officials.

I just got back from a cruise to Cuba with NCL and they really try hard to convince everyone that the best way to fulfill the travel requirements is to book excursions through them, (no surprise). We privately booked a 2 hour ride in an old, beautifully maintained convertible Buick, cost was $80 total for 2 of us. We walked around town, had a beer in a Paladar (privately owned restaurant), and just soaked up the city. We had checked "support for the Cuban people" as our reason for being there and Miami customs only asked us if we had liquor or tobacco. Didn't really care why we had been in Cuba nor did they ask for any documentation or proof of what we did while there.

I just got back from a cruise to Cuba with NCL and they really try hard to convince everyone that the best way to fulfill the travel requirements is to book excursions through them, (no surprise). We privately booked a 2 hour ride in an old, beautifully maintained convertible Buick, cost was $80 total for 2 of us. We walked around town, had a beer in a Paladar (privately owned restaurant), and just soaked up the city. We had checked "support for the Cuban people" as our reason for being there and Miami customs only asked us if we had liquor or tobacco. Didn't really care why we had been in Cuba nor did they ask for any documentation or proof of what we did while there.

We will probably want to bring home rum and my husband may want a couple cigars. Do you know if they only asked because we'll have to pay duty on them?

You have been told wrong. If you read through this forum, you'll find many, many examples of people who booked no tours and just explored Havana on their own. Check "Support of the Cuban People" on your affidavit and go enjoy yourselves. No one cares - not the cruiseline and certainly not the Cuban officials.

We booked Fertours for day one, through the ship to Hemingway's home in the country for day 2. I'm sure the only ones who would care what we did are customs when we get back. Will we pay duty for any rum and cigars we bring back?

We will probably want to bring home rum and my husband may want a couple cigars. Do you know if they only asked because we'll have to pay duty on them?

We brought back 19 cigars, no rum and told the customs agent this. The lines moved very quickly and it didn't seem as though the agents were asking anyone in other lines for any details. We didn't fill out any customs forms as with other cruises.

We brought back 19 cigars, no rum and told the customs agent this. The lines moved very quickly and it didn't seem as though the agents were asking anyone in other lines for any details. We didn't fill out any customs forms as with other cruises.

Didn't pay duty for cigars.

We are on NCL Sun in a few weeks. We were doing all tours through NCL but then decided to cancel our morning walking tour and go with Old Car Tours for a 2 hour overview of the city in a classic convertible. Old Car Tours has been very good with getting back to us promptly and answering our questions. We are also doing a Hemingway Tour and going to the Tropicana with NCL. So we've got all the bases covered. I am sure after the cruise I will have wished that we had gone out on our own the whole day but this is the bet of both worlds for our first cruise to Cuba.

We are on NCL Sun in a few weeks. We were doing all tours through NCL but then decided to cancel our morning walking tour and go with Old Car Tours for a 2 hour overview of the city in a classic convertible. Old Car Tours has been very good with getting back to us promptly and answering our questions. We are also doing a Hemingway Tour and going to the Tropicana with NCL. So we've got all the bases covered. I am sure after the cruise I will have wished that we had gone out on our own the whole day but this is the bet of both worlds for our first cruise to Cuba.

We also have a two hour tour booked with old car tours in two weeks.

How did you book with Blexie?

Did you pay before the trip?

Does it comply with current U.S. regulations need to participate in People-to-People activities totaling at least 7-8 hours?

Email Blexie at blexie100588@gmail.com. Pay your guide after the trip. It complies with the current regulations for support of the Cuban People. Very much so. George was our guide and he was fabulous.

§ 515.574Support for the Cuban People.

(a) General license. The travel-related transactions set forth in § 515.560© and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people are authorized, provided that:

(1) The activities are of:

(i) Recognized human rights organizations;

(ii) Independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; or

(iii) Individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba; and

(2) The traveler's schedule of activities does not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

Note to § 515.574(a):

Each person relying on the general authorization in this paragraph must retain specific records related to the authorized travel transactions. See §§ 501.601 and 501.602 of this chapter for applicable recordkeeping and reporting requirements.

Example 1 to § 515.574: An individual plans to travel to Cuba, stay in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eat at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shop at privately-owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) during his or her four-day trip. While at the casa particular, the individual will have breakfast each morning with the Cuban host and engage with the Cuban host to learn about Cuban culture. In addition, the traveler will complete his or her full-time schedule by supporting Cuban entrepreneurs launching their privately-owned businesses. The traveler’s activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. Because the individual’s qualifying activities are not limited to staying in a room at a rented accommodation in a private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately-owned Cuban restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed Cubans (cuentapropista) and the traveler maintains a full-time schedule that enhances contact with the Cuban people, supports civil society in Cuba, and promotes the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that results in meaningful interaction between the traveler and Cuban individuals, the individual’s travel qualifies for the general license.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used FerTours and had no problems. When you board the ship at check in you sign the paper saying you are doing organized tours and check Support for the Cuban people. No one asked any questions after that. You are responsible for keeping the form for 5 years and keeping some log of what you did (the itinerary is probably sufficient). You can't eat at government restaurants (but no one does--the food is horrible) or stay at a state owned hotel (you are staying on the ship). Mainly the US president wants to keep you from just sight seeing or going to the beach. If you are doing cultural things you should be fine. But again, no one ever asked.

We used FerTours and had no problems. When you board the ship at check in you sign the paper saying you are doing organized tours and check Support for the Cuban people. No one asked any questions after that. You are responsible for keeping the form for 5 years and keeping some log of what you did (the itinerary is probably sufficient). You can't eat at government restaurants (but no one does--the food is horrible) or stay at a state owned hotel (you are staying on the ship). Mainly the US president wants to keep you from just sight seeing or going to the beach. If you are doing cultural things you should be fine. But again, no one ever asked.

Thank you! Looking forward to using them. His confirmation said the Shipwrecked in Havana tour would be $120 USD - does that mean he wants us to pay in US dollars? I was going to ask him beforehand.

Thank you! Looking forward to using them. His confirmation said the Shipwrecked in Havana tour would be $120 USD - does that mean he wants us to pay in US dollars? I was going to ask him beforehand.

Cubans can have US dollars legally now so if he said USD then I would expect his guide can take them. We were quoted in CUCs. Fernando is the broker but he is not in Cuba unless something changed. More of the guides and stores are taking dollars but some guide services are now asking to be paid in advance. We weren't offered a Shipwrecked tour. Sounds like as the cruises are getting more common they are adding new ones. Enjoy!

This is a US government requirement. Even if a Cuban tour agency or tour guide is aware of the brand new requirement, how would they know? (Probably though, most private individuals, because they work for themselves and not the government, would be OK.) Eventually the US government should publish a list of who can't be used.

I'll try to post a list of private tour guides as soon as I can.

Where is the list of private tour guides?

Old Havana

We booked with Fertours ahead of time...Fernando was very quick to reply to my emails beforehand. On the morning that our ship arrived Yusi met my sister and me at the plaza directly across from the pier. We had a morning walking tour of Old Havana, a stop for lunch, and a car tour afterward. Yusi came along as well and pointed out all the sights for us. Our driver Ignacio was kind enough to take pictures of us at Revolution Square with his bright red 1950 Olds convertible in the background.

The full tour including the car ride was $60 pp., lunch was separate. Yusi's English was excellent and she was quite knowledgeable about any question we had. Also, I had tried booking an evening dinner reservation ahead of time on a restaurant's website with no luck, but a quick email to Fernando and he was able to book it for us.

A very welcome and enjoyable day in amazing Havana.

Very interesting! Thank you!

We booked April 2018 for NCL Sun Cuba and Carribean leaving Miami October 21, 2028; the shore excursions are somewhat pricey and do not cover everything I want to see. There is a privste classic car tour online with great reviews. The web states that tours are within the US travel guidelines. Is it legal for us to participate apart from cruise line excursions

What kind of documentation did FerTours send you in advance of the cruise that proved you had an excursion booked (itinerary, other ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums