Do you understand a word I say?

Eglesbrech

It's a long story, so will not bore you with it. But, due to my upbringing I could speak in a Norfolk, Manchester and Cockney accent during the same conversation. The thing was I did not know I was doing it.

Never had much trouble with Scottish accent - well, maybe broad Glaswegian or Aberdonian. But the hardest for me is NE England. Indeed, I have a feeling that many people from there do indeed moderate their accent, and definitely the vocabulary they use, when talking to non-locals. I've never been aware of any other regional groups doing the same thing.

Just thought of an old story. There was a debate in the House of Commons on Scotland (this was in the 70s or 80s). Manyy Scottish MPs were speaking passionately and spiritedly, and eventually an English MP raised a Point of Order - surely, he said, Honourable Members were supposed to speak English in the Chamber? - he couldn't understand a word that was being said.

There was uproar from the Scottish MPs. It was settled by Speaker Thomas, a Welshman, who replied in a broad South Wales voice "I think our regional accents are wonderful. Sometimes I wish I had one myself...."

It's a long story, so will not bore you with it. But, due to my upbringing I could speak in a Norfolk, Manchester and Cockney accent during the same conversation. The thing was I did not know I was doing it.

Most of my great customers speak broad Geordie one minute then Indian the next.