Flam to Myrdal train tickets

We have purchased two tickets for this train - but at a later time than we would have preferred, because the website does not show availability for earlier times on our date.

I am a bit concerned that our late return time could cause a problem with being on time for the final tender to our ship, as the return arrival is within an hour of our ship's sailing. I did purchase the cancellation insurance, so if we are told by our ship's officers that we should forego the train ride, we can cancel the day before by midnight for a refund.

I have read that often there are additional tickets available at the station for times that are shown as sold out online. I am wondering if it is possible that they would be willing to reschedule us for an earlier time, if there are seats available but our tickets are for the later time?

Anyone know how flexible they are in Flam?

We booked our tickets online at the Norwegian Railways site at https://www.nsb.no/en/?gclid=CMuvnubiitMCFYoy0wodZb8BnQ .

If that site is showing that everything is booked, other cruise critic postershave mentioned trying https://booking.visitflam.com/en/to-do/a585205/the-flåm-railway/showdetails . Posters on cruise critic have stated that this site has access to different ticketsand sometimes has availability even when the Norwegian railway site is sold out. Also, people have previously reported on the forums that when the train was initially sold out, they kept checking and eventually tickets opened up due to cancellations. And yes, other posters have also reported luck going to the counter first thing and finding available tickets when in Flam. Good luck - I hope everything works out for you so you don't have to worry.

are you planning to go to Myrdal and return on the same train?

there is nothing really to do at the top so would suggest the 10 minute wait time at the top before return journey is ample

one train is going up at the same time the other is descending and there is a short single piece track where one has to wait while the other passes

that is really the only likely delay

so returning within an hour of departure should not be a problem

all aboard/last tender time is usually 30 minutes prior and the tender distance is very short

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there last week. The walk from train to tender is very short as is the tender itself. I would guess the trains are pretty much on time. Are you within an hour from departure or an hour from all aboard time? (typically half hour before departure.) If 45 minutes from departure time and only 15 minutes from all aboard time, that might be too close for my comfort zone ! You may be able to call the cruise line and ask what the all aboard time is.