Live From The Veendam Daily Report

Pilot70D

I know that it isn't "live" anymore, but please continue your story about our cruise. Reading about your adventures helps me remember mine.

Kathleen

I will continue the daily report series now that I have somewhat caught up with everything after returning home. As I looked out at the ice coating the bushes and trees I couldn't help but miss and I mean really miss the Veendam and those warm tropical waters. Makes me wonder if the weatherman hasn't been sipping the spiked eggnog and lost track of the fact that Hotlanta is located in the SUNNY south.

Still Christmas is just around the corner and the holiday spirit abounds. Not only that but Christmas cookies are upon us and anyone with a cookie is my friend.

More reports on the days will follow shortly. In the meantime everyone stay warm and stay safe out there.

Here is the menu from our Farewell Dinner. This dinner was held on the third night before the cruise ended and was truly a sumtuous feast. :)

My previous post timed out as I was editing the message so here's the real deal and just remeber - salt air shrinks all fabric. It wasn't all the great food provided by HAL.

Veendam

Caribbean Cruise

Tonight's recommended Wines

Poully Fuisse $40.00 - Medritina, Sokol Blosser $43.00

Freshly Baked Bread: Baquette Rolls - Zuchini Bread - Sour Dough Breaad

APPETIZERS

Celebration Fruit Cocktail

a selection of seasonal fruit splashed with creme de cassis and served with a palate-teasing apple foam

Captains Antipasto Plate

duck pate, thinly sliced dried bresoala beef, dry-cured coppa pork and paper thin prosciutto serevd with a robust Sicillian-style roasted vegetable salad

Trio of Salmon with Prawns and Pearls of the Ocean

a selected tasting of delicately hot-smoked salmon, pickled salmon and gravlax, with a jumbo prawn and salmon caviar, creamed horseradish dill mayonnaise

Escargots Bourguignonne

delectable snails marinated in Pernod and Chablis, lightly baked in an herb garlic butter with French Bread

SOUPS

Caribbean Seafood Bouillabaisse

island version of the rich, clear seafood broth aromatic with bay scallops, shrimps, salmon and halibut, served with baked crunchy pesto croutons

Dos Frijoles

Cuban specialty, spicy, full-bodied two bean soup with a zesty twist of orange

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

sweet, cool and smooth, garnished with a slightly sharp green peppercorn cream

SALADS

Crisp Wedge of Iceberg

with tender hearts of palm, fresh tomoato, cucumber, golden roasted corn, bell pepper and onion confetti

Choice of Dressings: house Italian, thousand island, blue cheese, ranch or fat free blue cheese

Classic Caesar Salad

romaine tossed in frshly-made Caesar dressing, topped with cheese shavings and garlic herb croutons

ENTREES

Penne with Seafood Bolognese

coarsley diced salmon and crab combined with a red wine and marinara sauce, crowning a mound of al dente pasta

Surf and Turf

lobster tail and petite filet mignon are combined and served with a bearnaise butter sauce, grilled green asparagus, carrot battonets and Brussel sprouts

Baked Honey Glazed Ham

thick sliced on a cushion of corn bread pudding and country style mashed potato, home made run raisin sauce, bronze baked apple, braised carrots and Brussel sprouts

Hazelnut and Almond Crusted Chicken with Mango

tender supreme of chicken dipped in a almond and hazelnut breading and golden fried, drizzled with a zesty mango relish served on a bed of sun-dried tomato risotto with brocoli rosettes and carrrots

Slow Roasted Rack of Veal

on an earthy bed of Calvados-spiked forest mushroom ragout with fresh herbs, basil-scentedmashed potato and colorful stir-fried vegetables

Curried Vegetable Cutlet

minced peak-season vegetables flavored with East Indian spices, hand-molded and suteed to a golden brown, served with garbanzo beans in fresf tomato sauce and soy-splashed baby bok choy

I remember that meal...Yummy.

Also, that was the night of the Black and White Ball. The dining room was beautifuly decorated. Damask tablecloths and well pressed chair covers and black and white balloons along with something I have never seen before. The space under the railing around the rim of the upper dining room and down the stairs was filled with silhouettes of people formally dressed dining and toasting each other. It was very elegant and difficult to describe.

The Black and White Ball followed the late seating in the main show lounge. It was an elegant affair. Dancing continued into the wee hours in the Crow's nest. So much for the image of HAL guests all being asleep by 10PM.

It was a spectacular evening. Perfect for all of us incurable romantics. :D

Linda

Here is the menu from our Farewell Dinner.

I'm ready to order now. I'm sitting at this computer very hungry, no decent food in the house, and too lazy to fix what I do have.

How I wish I could be looking at that HAL menu with a steward over my shoulder.

• 3 weeks later...
I know that it isn't "live" anymore, but please continue your story about our cruise. Reading about your adventures helps me remember mine.

Kathleen

And helps me envision mine in a few weeks. So excited. It will be my first HAL cruise.

Is it true the capuccino & ice cream are free? What hours?

How about the thalossotherapy pool? Is that just a part of the spa, like a spa treatment? Thanks

Archived