Flip Flops on casual nights

mommag3boys

I don't mind the non-elegant nights w/o tablecloths unless the ship is doing some rolling. Then you have to grab the water bottle and/or the wine bottle from time to time to keep them from sliding off the table. It becomes a dinner time acrobatic act from time to time.

I also don't really care what other people wear to dinner as long as they are nicely groomed and their clothes are clean. We always try to abide by the MDR suggested attire...neither over dressed or under dressed.

I was wondering....do you get better service if you are well dressed or well mannered?? Obviously if you are both you will have a better chance of more attentive service....possibly.

Maybe some would like separate dining rooms based upon their room classification. I believe Cunard does that....but not totally sure since I have never sailed with them.

For the most part I think if anyone finds it difficult to enjoy their meal because of someone's attire, then they should speak to the maitre d at the time of the offense. If you have enough guts to come on here and find fault with people that don't dress to your expectations, then have enough guts to handle it at that time. However....I do wonder what you what have to talk about during dinner if it were not for those that dressed to distress you?!?

For the most part I think if anyone finds it difficult to enjoy their meal because of someone's attire, then they should speak to the maitre d at the time of the offense. If you have enough guts to come on here and find fault with people that don't dress to your expectations, then have enough guts to handle it at that time. However....I do wonder what you what have to talk about during dinner if it were not for those that dressed to distress you?!?
Excellent response.

The truth is, I don't have any problems adhering to the dress code myself, and if I saw someone who was blatantly breaking it, I might think to myself that it looks tacky. But the difference between me and so many people on here...that's where my reaction ends. It doesn't ruin my dining experience. A second later, I'll simply turn back to my table and enjoy my meal and the company I'm with.

I didn't even notice the tables didn't have tablecloths until after my cruise and I read it on Cruise Critic. Like a lot of things, I suspect its a Cruise Critic problem, not a Carnival problem. Just my .02. :)

I agree! Considering Carnival is selling cruises earlier and at higher prices it does not appear tablecloths or dress codes or uptight people not wanting to cruise with someone different from them is having any effect on demand for their product. I can't remember off the top of my head what shoes I had on my feet during my last cruise much less what others were wearing. If my cruise was so lame that I paid attention to that sort of thing, I think I would be rethinking my choice of vacation!

I think Carnival could easily clear everything up by adding "no plastic or rubber flip flops" to their dress code. That way you'd know that shower shoes are a no-go, but dress sandals in a flip flop style would be fine.

You should Google " Dress Crocs" and for that matter "Dress Skechers". You might be surprised.;)

Just because you label it "dress" does not make it so....no matter what people want to think. My answer was sarcastic because people make this harder than it needs to be. A sandal is a sandal. A flip flop is a flip flop. I have very sparkly thong wedge sandals...those are fine. A flip flop is a pool/beach/flat rubber shoe designed to go with shorts or bath suit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent response.

The truth is, I don't have any problems adhering to the dress code myself, and if I saw someone who was blatantly breaking it, I might think to myself that it looks tacky. But the difference between me and so many people on here...that's where my reaction ends. It doesn't ruin my dining experience. A second later, I'll simply turn back to my table and enjoy my meal and the company I'm with.

OC....I have posted this before and really believe it....hypothetically if you threw out any semblance of dress code, don't print anything of what is acceptable or unacceptable, I believe 80 - 90% of the passengers would still dress to or exceed the levels of proper decorum. Do the majority of men wear shower shoes or tank tops into the MDR now. Absolutely not. We are talking about the minority of diners, but we remember those....Last cruise, it was a sea day and I spent the majority of the day up on the Lido deck. There was a group of passengers (I think it was 4 couples) all sitting together having a good time. Why I remember this is because one of the guys had a really loud boarder short type of swimsuit. Loud as in color (it was like a neon orange, kind of stuck with me). Now, i know a nice pair of Boarder Shorts can run upwards of $100, so they are no where near "cheap". They were drinking, having a good time sitting maybe 20 feet from me. It got to around 4 pm (I had early seating) so I proceed to get ready for dinner. I kid you not, I am sitting at my table in the MDR and who walks in....you guessed it, the same 4 couples. The women all dressed nicely. All 4 guys I imagine hung out on the Lido deck until right before dinner and got up, walked to the MDR. While they weren't dining close enough to me to smell their aroma, I am sure they were rocking the sweat/beer/tanning oil fragrance. As they sat, the MD walked to their table, whispered something and all 4 guys left without incident. The point I am trying to make is in your mind, that is cool? "Live and Let Live". What if they were sitting at a table with you, are you saying that possible fragrant body odor and and armpit hair would have no impact on your dining experience? Seriously? Let me add, these guys were not loud or obnoxious so I don't want people to assume they were the loud drunks storming into the dining room. What is kind of surprising to me is what would possess you to get up off a lounge chair on the Lido deck and walk into the MDR without showering and changing? These guys were respectful and I think they had a brain fart, but there are some who think this is perfectly acceptable and would get indignant if asked to leave. There was one poster on either this thread or another one similar to this topic who stated "my husband doesn't own a pair of khaki pants"....okkkkkkkkkkkkkk, :rolleyes:....so you are spending anywhere from $2000 - $5000 for a cruise vacation and you cant spend $25 for a pair of pants on Elegant Night? That is the mindset that is frustrating for me to deal with

Edited by First and Ten

Just because you label it "dress" does not make it so....no matter what people want to think.
That cuts both ways. Just because one claims it is not "dress" does not make that so....no matter what people want to think. If you use a subjective description then the reality will differ from person to person. That's why the comment above about specifying "plastic and rubber" makes a lot of sense. It turns a subjective description "dressy sandals only" into an objective description "no plastic or rubber sandals".

Incidentally, of the 16 items that appear under " Silhouette > Shoes > dress shoes" on Croc's website, at least 15 if not all 16 qualify as "dress" IMHO. Sketchers doesn't have a purse "dress" category - the category is "dress casuals" which itself is a contradiction in terms and therefore that should be a signal that the entire category does not qualify. Having said that, almost half of those I saw on the men's side would qualify as "dress," and close to all if not all on the women's side, IMHO.

I was wondering....do you get better service if you are well dressed or well mannered?? Obviously if you are both you will have a better chance of more attentive service....possibly.

I can honestly say that we've never had poor service in a MDR. Some may be faster than others due to the kitchen but we've never been treated less than with good humor. Staff has always done their best to accommodate our wishes (ie. DH's desire for no sauces on top of his entree.)

We always shower and dress neatly for dinner in the MDR. Since we always do fixed dining we know we'll have the same waitstaff every evening we start out treating them friendly and politely. They make dinner enjoyable and we tip a bit over and above the auto-grats with cash the last night of the cruise.

OC....I have posted this before and really believe it....hypothetically if you threw out any semblance of dress code, don't print anything of what is acceptable or unacceptable, I believe 80 - 90% of the passengers would still dress to or exceed the levels of proper decorum. Do the majority of men wear shower shoes or tank tops into the MDR now. Absolutely not. We are talking about the minority of diners, but we remember those....Last cruise, it was a sea day and I spent the majority of the day up on the Lido deck. There was a group of passengers (I think it was 4 couples) all sitting together having a good time. Why I remember this is because one of the guys had a really loud boarder short type of swimsuit. Loud as in color (it was like a neon orange, kind of stuck with me). Now, i know a nice pair of Boarder Shorts can run upwards of $100, so they are no where near "cheap". They were drinking, having a good time sitting maybe 20 feet from me. It got to around 4 pm (I had early seating) so I proceed to get ready for dinner. I kid you not, I am sitting at my table in the MDR and who walks in....you guessed it, the same 4 couples. The women all dressed nicely. All 4 guys I imagine hung out on the Lido deck until right before dinner and got up, walked to the MDR. While they weren't dining close enough to me to smell their aroma, I am sure they were rocking the sweat/beer/tanning oil fragrance. As they sat, the MD walked to their table, whispered something and all 4 guys left without incident. The point I am trying to make is in your mind, that is cool? "Live and Let Live". What if they were sitting at a table with you, are you saying that possible fragrant body odor and and armpit hair would have no impact on your dining experience? Seriously? Let me add, these guys were not loud or obnoxious so I don't want people to assume they were the loud drunks storming into the dining room. what is kind of surprising to me is what would possess you to get up off a lounge chair on the Lido deck and walk into the MDR without showering and changing? These guys were respectful and I think they had a brain fart, but there are some who think this is perfectly acceptable and would get indignant if asked to leave. There was one poster on either this thread or another one similar to this topic who stated "my husband doesn't own a pair of khaki pants"....okkkkkkkkkkkkkk, :rolleyes:....so you are spending anywhere from $2000 - $5000 for a cruise vacation and you cant spend $25 for a pair of pants on Elegant Night? That is the mindset that is frustrating for me to deal with

I don't really care what one wears, but I will say that I always think about the women that dress smart and their significant other that can bother. I feel bad for the gals. I have never had to tell my husband how to dress and I really do feel for these ladies. I'm not picking on the guys...it just seems to happen more often. I'm sure the opposite does happen from time to time.

But I wonder if there are times that people have had their luggage lost on the way to the cruise and that could explain some of the dress infractions. We never really know the why and how....do we???

The MDR on Carnival has not been fine dining in years. I have noticed a steady decline in the quality of food, especially the cuts of beef over the years. Once the airlines started charging for luggage, Carnival lessened the dress codes to reflect the fact that people just can't pack as much as they used to. Personally, I don't care what people wear provided it is clean and it covers them. That said, I don't think it is difficult to follow the rules. Nice shorts are allowed on casual nights. Khakis and a polo are allowed on elegant nights, so it shouldn't be hard to follow that. I agree with a previous poster that flip-flops in the dress code tend to mean the cheap plastic ones, and not nice leather sandals.

That cuts both ways. Just because one claims it is not "dress" does not make that so....no matter what people want to think. If you use a subjective description then the reality will differ from person to person. That's why the comment above about specifying "plastic and rubber" makes a lot of sense. It turns a subjective description "dressy sandals only" into an objective description "no plastic or rubber sandals".

Incidentally, of the 16 items that appear under " Silhouette > Shoes > dress shoes" on Croc's website, at least 15 if not all 16 qualify as "dress" IMHO. Sketchers doesn't have a purse "dress" category - the category is "dress casuals" which itself is a contradiction in terms and therefore that should be a signal that the entire category does not qualify. Having said that, almost half of those I saw on the men's side would qualify as "dress," and close to all if not all on the women's side, IMHO.

I disagree. I listened to a judge tell a defendant the other day that while her outfit was lovely for certain events (hinting at club) it was not court appropriate. The heels were 5" but would have been fine with a pair of slacks and a blouse. Instead she had loud patterned cotton pants with the cuff at the ankle, a white tshirt and a shrug. She was told that if she didn't understand how to dress for court, then she should ask XY and Z people as they would educate her.

It isn't really subjective....people just want to claim it to be so so they don't have to comply. This is a modern phenomenon and either a reflection of laziness, rebellion or ignorance.

Let me make it simple. The code says men would wear jeans without holes, tears, bleach stains etc with a collared polo style shirt (or Hawaiian) for casual evenings with closed toed shoes or true sandals. Ladies, wear the equivalent in jeans/slacks and a top with sandals. On elegant evening, men please wear "kakhis" and a long sleeve button up shirt (the kind designed to take a tie) and ladies a dress or slacks with a blouse.

This is really really easy to do. If you can afford a cruise you can afford to dress appropriately for it.

And to the people that were showing the shirt tail out and flip flops - no. That is not OK or within the rules. My 19 year old dresses just like that....at college to go out. The rest of the time he looks like pig pen. For causal evenings on a cruise, he tucks in his shirt tail, puts on a belt, and tie shoes. If my 19 year old slob can figure this out I am confident everyone else can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree. I listened to a judge tell a defendant the other day that while her outfit was lovely for certain events (hinting at club) it was not court appropriate.
How does an example of someone who has personaldiscretion over the rules of that someone's own courtroom, with explicitly no requirement to apply any actual standard, constitute disagreement with what I wrote?

If anything, your example underscores what others have said about this: If the cruise line allows it, then it is "dress".

It isn't really subjective....people just want to claim it to be so so they don't have to comply.
It really is subjective....people just want to claim it isn't so they can belittle or otherwise besmirch people with whom they have a difference in a subjective determination.

This is a modern phenomenon and either a reflection of laziness, rebellion or ignorance.
Pride, illusory superiority, condescension or snobbery. Like I said, it cuts both ways. It's better to just let subjective things be subjective.

Remember, we're the couple with the guy in the dark slacks and dress shirt with a jacket on formal nights; and the gal in the pant suit on formal nights. Our subjective judgment matches yours. The difference is that I recognize that it is, indeed, subjective judgment.

Seriously -- wear what you are comfortable with.

DH and I tend to dress up a little for dinner, but that is our choice!

Some people have wayyyy too much free time on their hands to be so absorbed in policing others' clothes and shoes. I'll bet they could even have a good time if they didn't have to expend so much energy on Fashion Patrol.

Enough already.

I'm not a fashionista by any means, but I read, just a few days ago, that Adidas and nike flip-flop/sandals are VERY out this year (I think the source was CNN). If you don't care about that, more power to you, but if you do and you hadn't heard, succumb to the prevailing fashion pressure or flame away! :D

That story is a big nothing burger. Fake news. :D

Seriously -- wear what you are comfortable with.

DH and I tend to dress up a little for dinner, but that is our choice!

Some people have wayyyy too much free time on their hands to be so absorbed in policing others' clothes and shoes. I'll bet they could even have a good time if they didn't have to expend so much energy on Fashion Patrol.

Enough already.

That mindset is the issue I have and I classify as "self entitlement". Carnival puts out the dress code rules, so are you saying that if you don't like those rules and you don't feel comfortable, you should just do what you want? :rolleyes:

Carnival specifically says in the dress code that no gym shorts are allowed in the MDR. Hey, I like gym shorts, so I should just choose to ignore those rules because my "comfort" supersedes everything else in any setting that I deem important or not important?

That mindset is the issue I have and I classify as "self entitlement". Carnival puts out the dress code rules, so are you saying that if you don't like those rules and you don't feel comfortable, you should just do what you want? :rolleyes:

Carnival specifically says in the dress code that no gym shorts are allowed in the MDR. Hey, I like gym shorts, so I should just choose to ignore those rules because my "comfort" supersedes everything else in any setting that I deem important or not important?

Yes. You paid a ton of money to be on that ship and enjoy yourself. If they turn you away then go eat at the buffet or change your clothes. As far as breaking rules goes a dress code is not a rule based on safety of others so it is indeed a victimless crime.

The fact that they put out a dress code is dumb imo. This is a restaurant that has waiters dancing on tables.

120+post in this thread.....did you folks come to a conclusion yet? LMAO

Tbh I'm curious if anyone has been turned away based on footwear alone. I have a hard time imagining them checking everyones feet to make sure they're appropriate. The last cpl years I've worn the "slides" like in post #10 here and never really thought it was breaking rules since I don't consider them flip flops. I don't wear thong type sandals and there aren't a lot of fancy ish mens sandals imo. Maybe I'll shop around for some new ones this year though and see what I can find.

How does an example of someone who has personaldiscretion over the rules of that someone's own courtroom, with explicitly no requirement to apply any actual standard, constitute disagreement with what I wrote?

If anything, your example underscores what others have said about this: If the cruise line allows it, then it is "dress".

It really is subjective....people just want to claim it isn't so they can belittle or otherwise besmirch people with whom they have a difference in a subjective determination.

Pride, illusory superiority, condescension or snobbery. Like I said, it cuts both ways. It's better to just let subjective things be subjective.

Remember, we're the couple with the guy in the dark slacks and dress shirt with a jacket on formal nights; and the gal in the pant suit on formal nights. Our subjective judgment matches yours. The difference is that I recognize that it is, indeed, subjective judgment.

I still disagree and feel that it is a huge mistake to call it subjective - because once you do it is a slippery slope and there is no line. Wear what you want - regardless of how specific things, such as flip flops are are clearly prohibited. And that was the original question of the OP.