Live from MSC Meraviglia Sailing from Barcelona 7/7/17 with lots of photos!

kikki21

Oh dear got to say that I'm not impressed overall with the MSC MDR experience.

I had cream of cauliflower soup for my starter. It looked like dishwater & not much cream & no garnish.

I had the cannelloni for my main course. The portion was tiny & it was lukewarm.

Dessert was the best course - I had the pistachio & coconut cake which actually was tasty.

Overall disappointing & it took over 1.5 hrs.

If MSC are trying to improve their food service then they have a long way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finally on the ship wifi! If only MSC gave you the right instructions to log on then it might save queues at Guest Relations.

You log onto Meraviglia Hotspot & then go onto logon mscwifi.com or logout first then login!

89f7d8be450c5cf6bb199727c0c91512.jpg

I had the cauliflower soup & calling it a soup was quite generous!

My fiancé had the mussels - some of which were closed.

337fe2dc5fa0338dcf57e787cb21188f.jpg

8fff399310fbb70350ee80f954d9ca4b.jpg

He had the risotto, I had the cannelloni.

83bcb6fb47adbfd450820e7163922a50.jpg

For dessert he had the strudel & I had the coconut cake

55fcedae025be3aa99dfe5fc74607e26.jpg

2d85de38c0039969e54894a322fbbe7e.jpg

More pics!

9b68e7ee085518dc73d3473d94119e87.jpg

Top 19 sun deck

43421add4db0a860275fe5e472b13291.jpg

It's quite extensive with a hot tub at the front, quite an innovative design!

f7d5193d3721e00702c5bf8cf885929a.jpg

The Sky Lounge is my favourite looking bar so far!

66f21c8a3a921a1d7a74a1333a01608f.jpg

1de14e9775877eaa1c945686a59fb8de.jpg

We're currently sitting at the Pool Bar enjoying a pina colada & there's still a lot of the ship we haven't seen!

Now the wifi is working - it's pretty fast & the ship is sailing smooth - in fact, you can't feel that you're sailing!

Fingers crossed Kikki that the MDR menus/food improve. What was it like in terms of queues/getting a table? Which restaurant have you been assigned? I know a stretch Kikki but did you notice if children had a separate menu in the MDR. My kids definitely won't go for that. Enjoy the rest of your night. Don't drink too much [emoji3]!

Fingers crossed Kikki that the MDR menus/food improve. What was it like in terms of queues/getting a table? Which restaurant have you been assigned? I know a stretch Kikki but did you notice if children had a separate menu in the MDR. My kids definitely won't go for that. Enjoy the rest of your night. Don't drink too much [emoji3]!

I can tell you that kids have a separate menu in the MDR if the wish.

Also you can take more than one choice of dish if you wish, as mentioned the portions are tiny!! 😄

Thanks for posting...

Please try and remember to help me sort out my question for you...

MDRs = Waves, Panorama, L 'Olivo d'oro, L 'Oliva doree,

Question...are you assigned an MDR for your seating? Can you switch around if you like?

We are Aurea and traveling with friends that are Fantasica...

Oh no I am a picky eater! I guess I will have to plan for a lot of grilled chicken breast on this trip haha. Thanks for posting the menu!!!

The portion sizes were really small too! I can see why people order more than 1 option! Or then go to the buffet.

I have to say I thought it was poor in terms of food quality, quantity & service!

Hello!

As Aurea we are assigned the Panorama restaurant - there was no queue, we walked in. Asked for a table for 2, it was really busy but there were spaces & nice tables for 2 at the back of the ship.

Didn't see a separate menu for kids - in fact tried to see menus when we walked round earlier & they seem well hidden!

Haha in my 20's I might have been drinking into the early hours but don't do that anymore!!!

I can tell you that kids have a separate menu in the MDR if the wish.

Also you can take more than one choice of dish if you wish, as mentioned the portions are tiny!! [emoji1]

I really couldn't believe the portion sizes but they were very, very small!

We're learning as we go! [emoji4]

Thanks for posting...

Please try and remember to help me sort out my question for you...

We are Aurea and traveling with friends that are Fantasica...

Hello!

We have been assigned a restaurant as in Panorama. I will see if I can talk to someone tonight about if you can swap round.

There were lots of staff milling round & it was chaotic last night. You couldn't get much attention at the table, never mind asking questions! [emoji15]

Right onto the day itself - we arrived in Marseilles well ahead of schedule - we have ordered room service breakfast so we can get ready at leisure before we venture out off the ship.

We were going to book the ship shuttle but should have done that last night.

Anyhow breakfast has now arrived - the man needs his coffee lol! [emoji23]

1ff307a1a952d2b9a7f29def018bb34f.jpg

daef509f3f8cbbc3dd4a71af647d672d.jpg

Finally off the ship & on a shuttle bus going to Marseille. Not much organisation, lots of people milling round. There are plenty of taxis here - think may have been a better option to get one! [emoji849]

I really couldn't believe the portion sizes but they were very, very small!

We're learning as we go! [emoji4]

Hi,

Italian style of dining means a complete menu of several meals. And a few hours of your time.

Never expect large portions.

And remember, if you like something you can always ask for more than one plate, for every meal on the menu.

If you couldn't decide you can always order 2 or 3 different appetizers or main or even desserts.

It wasn't problem at all during our previous cruises with MSC.

And also, there is no special child menu on MSC, as I know. But if your kid is in Meraviglia's child club there is special part in buffet (I think) only for youngsters. I don't know what kind of food they served there.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Italian style of dining means a complete menu of several meals. And a few hours of your time.

Never expect large portions.

And remember, if you like something you can always ask for more than one plate, for every meal on the menu.

If you couldn't decide you can always order 2 or 3 different appetizers or main or even desserts.

It wasn't problem at all during our previous cruises with MSC.

And also, there is no special child menu on MSC, as I know. But if your kid is in Meraviglia's child club there is special part in buffet (I think) only for youngsters. I don't know what kind of food they served there.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for effort.

Thank you for your reply!

I have heard that MSC reduced their MDR menu from several courses down to 3 or 4 if you include the cheese course too! [emoji4]

We would have ordered a few more items but none appealed & we love our Italian food!

Lots of photos to come when I'm back on the ship wifi from our saunter around Marseille [emoji4] we have our Aurea massages later this evening & I also have a facial to look forward to.

Thank you for your reply!

I have heard that MSC reduced their MDR menu from several courses down to 3 or 4 if you include the cheese course too! [emoji4]

We would have ordered a few more items but none appealed & we love our Italian food!

Dear Kikki,

As I remember, they didn't change almost anything. Appetizer - 3 to choose from, soups - 2/3 to choose from, pasta - 2/3 to choose from, main - 3/4 to choose from, dessert - 2/4 to choose from. And 3 main more as "always available".

You can order as many times as you wish in every group.

Cheers

Afternoon all back on board & enjoying a few cocktails.

My plan for Marseille was get the ship shuttle into town ( be aware that the walk to the main road is quite a long one) there are taxis in the port too. That was easy.

You get dropped off into town by the Galeries Lafayette so very central & a few minutes walk to Vieux Port.

After a coffee, we walked along the quay road to catch the tourist train to the Notre Dame church at the top of the hill.

The train waits for 20 mins there in any case but you are welcome to stay up the top for as long as you like & get the next train down. We walked around the church inside & out.

The tourist train doesn't do much else afterwards sight wise, it's basically a ride back down to the quay side.

It was exactly where we wanted to be as I had earmarked a restaurant for lunch.

Au Bout de Quay mmmmmm!!!! [emoji4]

We then walked back along the quay to get a souvenir fridge magnet & back to the shuttle bus.

I'd show you pics but the internet isn't playing ball with me! [emoji17]

Dear Kikki,

As I remember, they didn't change almost anything. Appetizer - 3 to choose from, soups - 2/3 to choose from, pasta - 2/3 to choose from, main - 3/4 to choose from, dessert - 2/4 to choose from. And 3 main more as "always available".

You can order as many times as you wish in every group.

Cheers

Don't know when you sailed DTL but if you look at my MDR menu from last night, it is a reduced menu from what you have quoted. Which ship did you sail as it may vary from ship to ship!

ecba3d8339517ed1e7566a2862f20e25.jpg

View of Marseille from our cabin this morning.

10ae5d09f97d28c0d41e397523044583.jpg

In room breakfast - it was ok. Best thing were the pastries.

8a7ed4f2f82cd6de575206dc8c1dc93c.jpg

Church near the Vieux Port

c18aff6e21671cae1c57ad592db932d3.jpg

Port scene

164af4542dcdebe9737575659dc6328d.jpg

Views of the sea from the tourist train.

c21c24b004f253f32ec33665fd0477b2.jpg

Views over to the castle IF of Count of Monte Cristo fame