Live from MSC Meraviglia Sailing from Barcelona 7/7/17 with lots of photos!

kikki21

I'm an avid reader of TripAdvisor & did a bit of research as regards lunch - French food should be excellent & if you have fish, it should be fresh. Au Bout de Quai fitted the bill & it was a very good choice indeed!

2900e88486a16793d9b4b5bacfbbc777.jpg

7b1d7ebe70290167834fab2bdfe30af4.jpg

Garlicky toast with a black olive tapanade

db18d3ccd9e52abef1aee0223707b0ad.jpg

The view from the restaurant.

e28215a0208652b4c043337980280823.jpg

I had the risotto with asparagus & scallops - it was superb. I have to say probably the best risotto dish I've ever had! The scallops were perfect.

0989f0722466930da930105cb25d9afa.jpg

The Mr couldn't decide between monkfish or turbot fish but choose turbot & was very pleased with his choice!

e6ffe57a698bf6c25a3a53a0e0e5c039.jpg

The Mr with the dessert menu!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great pictures. Thank you.

I can't wait to go now.

We are leaving on Monday for Barcelona and won't have much Internet then.

My daughter is dying to see a video of the suite and hot tub. Is it possible to watch it somewhere already?

Thanks again for your effort.

Don't know when you sailed DTL but if you look at my MDR menu from last night, it is a reduced menu from what you have quoted. Which ship did you sail as it may vary from ship to ship!

MSC Splendida (Mediterranean See) March this year, MSC Opera (Scandinavia) last summer... name it! Two MSC cruises every year, last eight years.

As I understand there is no really big (if it is any at all) differences in structure of the MDR menus last few years (if we speak about Europe cruises).

I agree, we can talk about quality and presentation, and I agree it mostly depends from chef to chef and ship to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99335c3dab0f6a247c6a7e5492a2a247.jpg

:D If we keep our

Iceland booking that will be our balcony....right there above MSC Meraviglia. However, the tapas pictures and then the scallops have me thinking I need to do this route as well - and just make it a foodie cruise.

Wow had my included massage which I chose to be the hot stone Bali massage which was great. I also pre booked a facial as a treat - what an hour and a half of bliss! ❤️

We are back in the MDR tonight & feel more equipped to deal with it!

It's Mediterranean night!

Have ordered 2 starters - waiter asked if I was sure - yes yes yes, what you trying to do man - starve me lol! [emoji15]

We'll see how big it all is tonight - I mean the portion size [emoji12]

186145335bfe072197e8d346a31dbcca.jpg

76a0338ae177fd657c541fd4463c0e7c.jpg

7b00ba9ddbc829702bab15097df54e57.jpg

1730e402b7fb83eb6992f2103a49b4c8.jpg

6d0ac2d461487a3ca73ba9a3ca3ab2e6.jpg

At least we have mint today & can have mojitos which we couldn't have yesterday!

Bar service at the Edge Cocktail bar was very slow after we came back from Marseille - think the computer broke down & the staff got flustered.

We are on an MSC excursion tomorrow & still not got tickets so will have to chase them up. Was advised they should be in our room - nope not at 8.30pm when we left, they still hadn't arrived!

It doesn't seem to be as frantic in the Panorama restaurant tonight.

I can't seem to post video on here so the video of the room & jacuzzi may have to wait - sorry!!!

The supervisor of our section of the MDR has been round chatting to people at tables tonight - seems they are making the effort!

000054f5d02dfa13e2c650c18d01cc10.jpg

Spanish tapas starter this was tasty

a34fecd8672cf75f6a6802914a70441b.jpg

Spanakopita starter - we had one each - it was ok but needed more tzatziki sauce.

66ab1e86309657149b38538a1c864dee.jpg

Fish soup - not much fish in it & 1 closed mussel. Oh dear!

Greetings from Norway:)

Very interesting to follow you live review from the MSC Meraviglia as we sailed her in the YC some weeks ago. Very nice to see the ship from your perspective and how your experience onboard is. Thank you for posting great photos and the menus from the MDR. The Panorama Restaurant is nice. Have a great cruise and enjoy the MSC Meraviglia.

MSC Splendida (Mediterranean See) March this year, MSC Opera (Scandinavia) last summer... name it! Two MSC cruises every year, last eight years.

As I understand there is no really big (if it is any at all) differences in structure of the MDR menus last few years (if we speak about Europe cruises).

I agree, we can talk about quality and presentation, and I agree it mostly depends from chef to chef and ship to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey DTL. It seems to have changed across the fleet. We sailed on Fantasia in March, 6 courses, Splendida last month, 3 courses. Of course, one can order as many dishes as you wish. Not an improvement, in my opinion.

Monika. Loving the review. Thank you for taking the time to do it. Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland

Hey DTL. It seems to have changed across the fleet. We sailed on Fantasia in March, 6 courses, Splendida last month, 3 courses. Of course, one can order as many dishes as you wish. Not an improvement, in my opinion. Ken

Kikki's pictures are surprise to me, too. But.... you can eat as much as you can in MDR, you can order 3 different mains if you wish, no problem. And still there is buffet, where you can eat before or after MDR if you are still hungry.

But, to be honest, special restaurants are there... few of them. So... Menus in MDR are part of the business, as I understand. On smaller ships there is only one or two special restaurants, so menu in MDR have to be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning from Genoa!

eb594a191715c4687b409cc60741b086.jpg

This view greeted me from our balcony. We got into port at about 6.30am! I know this as being at the front of the ship we have vibrations as the ship turns round.

She really does sail very smoothly though!

We are on a ship excursion this morning, we are taking the scenic route to Portofino!

e272be475d8e22545978756b4f2e5d05.jpg

The Mr's fish course was as it said literally, no extras.

f47eb3c93a0ad4cb561aab37d802ada6.jpg

I had moussaka - it was ok.

At least we felt we had had some food as we had 2 starters each & a bit of bread!

bdfa8d2e6c38bf0c8252437375f91ebb.jpg

We both had the profiteroles as a dessert.

The pastry chef does seem to have some finesse as the bread & desserts are consistently the best things about MDR meals.

8c8031f4347d80a31adaa021c126e0ac.jpg

175f54b013a2ba9976872a3440149bec.jpg

We were up a bit late last night enjoying the Horizon Bar area in full party mode so getting up this morning was urgh lol! [emoji38]

A lot of effort has gone into the shops - they are probably the best I've seen at sea & lots of people are spending money on this ship!

The Mr has had the included white wine with dinner - he said it tasted like a Chardonnay. I would say more like a Sauvignon Blanc. We have also had the sparkling wine included in the Aurea package - both the dry & the sweet. Our waiter called it Prosecco last night - the sweet version tastes like Asti.

So we had breakfast from the Atmosphere Bar which was actually tasty. The pastries are really good!

aa34113a2a95ef46302bbe3067d7912b.jpg

We are in the Carousal Lounge & going on our excursion - pics later!

Good morning from Genoa!

eb594a191715c4687b409cc60741b086.jpg

This view greeted me from our balcony. We got into port at about 6.30am! I know this as being at the front of the ship we have vibrations as the ship turns round.

She really does sail very smoothly though!

We are on a ship excursion this morning, we are taking the scenic route to Portofino!

e272be475d8e22545978756b4f2e5d05.jpg

The Mr's fish course was as it said literally, no extras.

f47eb3c93a0ad4cb561aab37d802ada6.jpg

I had moussaka - it was ok.

At least we felt we had had some food as we had 2 starters each & a bit of bread!

bdfa8d2e6c38bf0c8252437375f91ebb.jpg

We both had the profiteroles as a dessert.

The pastry chef does seem to have some finesse as the bread & desserts are consistently the best things about MDR meals.

8c8031f4347d80a31adaa021c126e0ac.jpg

175f54b013a2ba9976872a3440149bec.jpg

We were up a bit late last night enjoying the Horizon Bar area in full party mode so getting up this morning was urgh lol! [emoji38]

We are on the same trip in two weeks, looking forward to your feedback. Have a great day [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

Hi Kikki,

Still enjoying your review.

Bread and desserts are my weakness so I'm not sure if it's good or bad that they are the highlight in the MDR lol!

I was wondering if you could ask them a question if you happen to be in The Pub. I was would like to know if all the draft beers there are included in The Basic Drinks Package and especially if the Cider on tap is included,

Hope you have a lovely day in Italy,

Thanks L

Hi Kikki,

Bread and desserts are my weakness so I'm not sure if it's good or bad that they are the highlight in the MDR lol!

I was wondering if you could ask them a question if you happen to be in The Pub. I was would like to know if all the draft beers there are included in The Basic Drinks Package and especially if the Cider on tap is included,

Thanks L

I think that question was covered off by Beamafar. All the draft bears in the pub are covered under the basic package ( no * against them) but none of the bottled ones. On the rest of the ship only Heineken I think tends to be included.

Hi Kikki,

Thanks L

Hi there

From another forum I was told the included draught beers in the English pub are John Smiths, Guinness, Murphy, Tiger, Strongbow, Heineken, Newcastle Brown, an IPA, Stella and a German beer. I will know where to find my husband

Hi was wondering if you have time you could check in something for me. We are due to sail septembe and wanted to know if flexI dining is back on again. Had read it was temporarily suspended. We have the fantasia package booked specifically so we did not have to stick to set dining times.

Many thanks and enjoy your cruise

Thanks for that info.

Heineken isn't my favourite but I do like a few of the options in the pub.

Although my husband has this idea that the Heineken in mainland Europe is nicer than here in Ireland. Mmmmm! Not sure about that.

I will have to give it a try at least once.

L