Brand new with question

RadTech92

Hi--new to the boards as of today. I wonder if anyone would know or be able to tell me if Carnival uses latex gloves in food preparation? I've been reading Jamman's thread on his Pride review and all of the photos with kitchen pictures show plastic gloves in use. I have a life threatening allergy to latex, but my husband and I really want to try a cruise sometime in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! They didn't look like latex to me but more of a clear plastic material. You could always communicate with the special needs department prior to the cruise and then with the maitre'd onboard.

Welcome to CC. You know this is a great place with lots of people who really try to help and give good advice, but with a condition that is potentially life threatening, I really think you should just ring the Cruiseline. I am sure they will do whatever they can to try to accommodate your needs.

I can't see any reason why you won't be cruising soon. Good luck.

Thanks all! I did contact the Special Needs Dept and wasn't able to get much of a concrete answer. Most places have gone to using Nitrile or vinyl/plastic gloves, due to latex allergies in medical professionals becoming so much more prevalent. That's how we discovered mine. :)

I really appreciate the info--I will definitely try contacting Carnival again and hope to be able to cruise in the near future!

Thanks all! I did contact the Special Needs Dept and wasn't able to get much of a concrete answer. Most places have gone to using Nitrile or vinyl/plastic gloves, due to latex allergies in medical professionals becoming so much more prevalent. That's how we discovered mine. :)

I really appreciate the info--I will definitely try contacting Carnival again and hope to be able to cruise in the near future!

If you don't get any satisfaction on the phone (and you may not, shore side personnel don't always have a good handle on what happens on the ship) then I would suggest having a talk with the maitre'd on the day of boarding.

If you don't get any satisfaction on the phone (and you may not, shore side personnel don't always have a good handle on what happens on the ship) then I would suggest having a talk with the maitre'd on the day of boarding.

Good idea; I just don't want to get down to boarding and find out nothing is safe for me to eat due to use of gloves in the kitchen. I don't know if I can survive a 5 day cruise on snacks I bring on board. :)

I have close friends that cruise often. Their daughter has a huge allergy to latex and they have had no problems on Carnival cruises.

OH, thank you for that information!! Could I ask-were they able to confirm that ahead of time? (If you know, that is!)

Good idea; I just don't want to get down to boarding and find out nothing is safe for me to eat due to use of gloves in the kitchen. I don't know if I can survive a 5 day cruise on snacks I bring on board. :)

The maitre'd will make sure that your food is prepared specifically for you with no latex in sight, if they even use it (and if they don't he will be able to reassure you of that). His job is to make sure that you are safe with what you are served.

I own a restaurant and most restaurants I know use vinyl.

I wish that was the case in our area. All of the steak houses use latex gloves, and a lot of the Tex-Mex restaurants do also. :o

The maitre'd will make sure that your food is prepared specifically for you with no latex in sight, if they even use it (and if they don't he will be able to reassure you of that). His job is to make sure that you are safe with what you are served.

That is awesome to know. Thank you! I have cruised once, back in 2005, and my allergy wasn't as bad as it is now. I was on the Ecstasy out of Galveston, back when she was having issues with her propulsion system.

Most cruise ships have a special prep area for people with food allergies. It is a sterile type environment that is used just for this purpose. I am betting they will be able to accommodate you however....the room stewards do use them. Don't know if that matters or not....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app