Skagway on our own

aac1623

I am looking at renting a car in Skagway for 4 adults, to go down to Emerald Lake and White Horse and head back. We plan on making all the "tourist picture" spots and visiting the suspension bridge. We also wanted to check out the gold rush attraction/area (mainly to see the equipment and hear about it, not necessarily to pan for gold lol) and visit the sled dog puppies. Does anyone know if we can just stop by these places or if we need to book an actual excursion, and if we can swing by where we would go (names of places)? Also, any other information for this DIY excursion is greatly appreciated! We are going on the Emerald Princess in Aug 2018 so lots of time to plan! TIA

I've done what you are planning several times. Definitely use Murray's Guide - it's a well spent $5 (you can find it by googling Murray's guide Skagway). Also, stop at the suspension bridge on the way to Emerald Lake. We waited until our return and it was closed.

We rented a van (6 of us) and drove up to the cemetery, walked around and back to Lower Reid Falls, then drove out Dyea Road. We stopped at the lookout (view the cruise ships from there) and kept going down the road stopping at the Chilkoot Trail and the Dyea Ghost Town. We then turned around and drove out to HWY 98 and headed toward Canada. Along the route we stopped at Pitchfork Falls, Dead Horse Trail, Bridal Veil Falls and William Moore Bridge. Just part the Bridge stop and gaze down the Skagway River Valley (to the left is Sawtooth Mt. and to your right is the Cleveland Glacier), look up the gorge and view the White Pass Summit. Head on up to the summit and across the border (passports required at the customs stop further up the road) and drive through the Tormented Valley toward Fraser. You will pass the suspension bridge sometime after this. As you head to Emerald lake you will pass Mt. Racine and the Lake Tutshi (TOO-shy), stop and visit in Carcross if you are needing a potty break (we took a picnic lunch and ate in the ship skeleton) and just past the town is the "Worlds Smallest Desert" the Carcross Desert. Emerald Lake is a few miles up the road. This trip took us approx 7 hours round trip. We were not worried about time as we were staying the night in Skagway, but you may be concerned with time if it's not a long port day for you. We stopped at most pullouts, read the signs and took in the beautiful scenery. I loved that we did this. That evening back in town we ate pizza at the Red Onion Saloon. Deep, rich history.

Thanks guys! I think we will skip White Pass, our port day is from 6am-5pm so planning on getting an early start with some time in pm to check out the town before heading back to ship!

Your OP sounds quite ambitious, especially for an early departure ship!

I would strongly recommend that you delete the Whitehorse ambition and only go as far as Emerald Lake.

Now, in most recent post you say that you will "skip the White Pass"?!?

If you are going out of the valley, north, you must pass thru said pass, so, if this is true, you might as well cancel the rental and just ride round town on the twodollar bus!

You do, really have plenty of time for the trip to Emerald Lake, if you just get the car on time and head north UP to Emerald Lake and save all of those other ambitions for when you get back in the comfort zone and then have a look at the dredge, etc., in order to gauge your time remaining while in a closer proximity to the ship.

One exception to the above would be to watch for the dog and puppy show on the top of Tutshi hill, about halfway on your trip to Emerald Lake.

This sled dog stop is about the most authentic, (and cheapest) in the SE.!

I hope this helps?

DD

We just returned from Skagway and rented a 4 door jeep from Alaska Green jeeps. It comes with an audio guided tour, and a guide book with maps, history and directions. We went all the way to Emerald Lake, with stops at Carcross, Caribou Crossing to see the Sled Dogs, Bridal Veil & International Falls. We rented at 8am, drove straight through to Carcross, stopped for about 30 min. Then on the Caribou Crossing to see the dogs. ($8.50 to go through the tour, petting zoo. We didn't do a sled ride). Then continued to Emerald Lake. After returning to Skagway, we went out to Dyea and the tidal flats area. We returned the jeep by 4:30-ish. Then spent a little time heading back to the ship. We had a great day!!

I would strongly recommend that you delete the Whitehorse ambition and only go as far as Emerald Lake.

If you are going out of the valley, north, you must pass thru said pass, so, if this is true, you might as well cancel the rental and just ride round town on the twodollar bus!

You do, really have plenty of time for the trip to Emerald Lake, if you just get the car on time and head north UP to Emerald Lake and save all of those other ambitions for when you get back in the comfort zone and then have a look at the dredge, etc., in order to gauge your time remaining while in a closer proximity to the ship.

One exception to the above would be to watch for the dog and puppy show on the top of Tutshi hill, about halfway on your trip to Emerald Lake.

I hope this helps?

DD

I meant Whitehorse :') all this excursion planning has my brain in a jumble! What you suggested will be the route we take, Emerald lake turn around see the bridge and dogs at tutshi and carcross and caribou crossing area then back to town!

Then on the Caribou Crossing to see the dogs. ($8.50 to go through the tour, petting zoo. We didn't do a sled ride)

Can you say a little more about this? What company has a petting zoo? Do you need to make an appointment. We are driving through in August and have 3 little kids with us. This would be amazing.

We just returned from Skagway and rented a 4 door jeep from Alaska Green jeeps. It comes with an audio guided tour, and a guide book with maps, history and directions. We went all the way to Emerald Lake, with stops at Carcross, Caribou Crossing to see the Sled Dogs, Bridal Veil & International Falls. We rented at 8am, drove straight through to Carcross, stopped for about 30 min. Then on the Caribou Crossing to see the dogs. ($8.50 to go through the tour, petting zoo. We didn't do a sled ride). Then continued to Emerald Lake. After returning to Skagway, we went out to Dyea and the tidal flats area. We returned the jeep by 4:30-ish. Then spent a little time heading back to the ship. We had a great day!!

I forgot about the jeep tour! My niece did that when they went and loved it - I looked into it, but with needing 6 seats we opted to rent a van and do those same things on our own. Sounds like we were both out exploring about the same amount of time. We skipped the kennels and the fog was thick at the border so we missed International Falls.

Can you say a little more about this? What company has a petting zoo? Do you need to make an appointment. We are driving through in August and have 3 little kids with us. This would be amazing.

At Caribou Crossing, they have a small petting zoo and museum. They also let you pet the Huskie puppies. We are planning on going there, too!

I hope this helps?

DD

Are you THE Dyea Dave? Our party of 6 has chosen to let you handle our day and trip to Emerald Lake on August 6...just 4 weeks away! Looking forward to it. :)