Which itinerary is best? Celebrity Solstice

Funkat

We are looking to book a cruise to Australia/New Zealand and are trying to decide between 2 sailings & itineraries on the Solstice. Any help would be appreciated.

16 Night Australia & New Zealand

Departing from: Auckland, New Zealand

Ports of Call:

• Tauranga, New Zealand •
  • Napier, New Zealand •
  • Wellington, New Zealand •
  • Picton, New Zealand •
  • Sydney, Australia •
  • Hobart, Tasmania, Australia •
  • Adelaide, Australia •
  • Fremantle (Perth), Australia

Sailing Dates:

• February 17, 2018
  • 16 Night Australia & New Zealand
  • Departing from: Fremantle (Perth), Australia

• Ports of Call:
        • Adelaide, Australia •
        • Melbourne, Australia •
        • Cruise Doubtful Sound •
        • Cruise Milford Sound •
        • Cruise Dusky Sound •
        • Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand •
        • Akaroa (Christchurch), New Zealand •
        • Wellington, New Zealand •
        • Picton, New Zealand •
        • Sydney, Australia

Sailing Dates:

• March 05, 2018

Depends on what you like to do, cruising three sounds is quite intense as they are similar, this ship is big so by comparison the sounds are small, The earlier cruise must go around the bottom of the South Island, if this happens during the day its a pretty amazing sailing, if its at night you will miss the beauty of the North Island. They are both s bit strange though as one misses out the North and one misses the South Islands, If you want to get to know more about New Zealand (i live here) go with the earlier sailing, Hobart is a beautiful little city,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depends on what you like to do, cruising three sounds is quite intense as they are similar, this ship is big so by comparison the sounds are small, The earlier cruise must go around the bottom of the South Island, if this happens during the day its a pretty amazing sailing, if its at night you will miss the beauty of the North Island. They are both s bit strange though as one misses out the North and one misses the South Islands, If you want to get to know more about New Zealand (i live here) go with the earlier sailing, Hobart is a beautiful little city,

All the Fiordland cruising goes through all three sounds during the day, and they are different - Milford in particular. I've been through them twice on Solstice.

Both cruises go through Cook Strait. The first cruise does not go to any South Island ports other than Picton and does not go to Fiordland.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Funkat, it very much depends on what your interests are.

If you like thermal wonders, Lord of the Rings, Art Deco, wine then the first cruise would be best.

If you prefer seeing wildlife, and the more remote parts of NZ, then the second cruise is best. Personally I'd pick the second cruise as I think cruising into Milford Sound is one of the spectacular wonders of the world. I also love Akaroa and Dunedin harbours.

All the Fiordland cruising goes through all three sounds, and they are different - Milford in particular. I've been through them twice on Solstice.

Both cruises go through Cook Strait. The first cruise does not go to any South Island ports other than Picton and does not go to Fiordland.

Not sure I agree, I have been to Milford Sound a few times by land and only once on the Azamara which is a much smaller ship than Solstice and we felt like Giants, so you miss the beauty of being up close and personal that you would get if you were there on a little boat (not a cruise ship) Doubtful sound is even smaller, I have been here too and I don't think it is as splendid as Milford Sound, to be fair I have not been to Dusky sound. The leaving and arriving on the Cook Straight providing it is during daylight will be as magnificent as the Fiordland sounds and at Picton you can get on a wee boat for a trip on Charlotte Sound, its all amazing, maybe toss a coin and see if you are disappointed with the result, normally works for me!!!

Thanks so much!

Funkat, it very much depends on what your interests are.

If you like thermal wonders, Lord of the Rings, Art Deco, wine then the first cruise would be best.

If you prefer seeing wildlife, and the more remote parts of NZ, then the second cruise is best. Personally I'd pick the second cruise as I think cruising into Milford Sound is one of the spectacular wonders of the world. I also love Akaroa and Dunedin harbours.

Thanks so much for the reply!