Ships Excursions in the Greek Isles and Ephesus

selzhouses

My wife and I have cruised many times in the Caribbean and with the exception of our first cruise, we have always booked our excursions with locals as opposed to the cruise line.

This is our first cruise with Azamara and have been told that although not cheap, their excursions are excellent. We will be in the Greek Isles this October and would like your input as to whether you would take the ship's excursions or book with locals?

I greatly appreciate your input.

We did a ship tour on santorini and it was good in that we were able to go to Oia and spend some time and then to a winery (not that great) and then dropped back in Fira. My one complaint about ship tours are the inconsiderate people who think the times given don't apply to them. We had a group of three women that were 15 minutes late. I would've just left them...

Oia had wonderful locally made crafts and amazing views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been to Santorini twice and I think we did better DIY than with ship tours. The first time we took the cable car up, the public bus to Oia and back, and then did the sights in Fira before taking the cable car down -- overall very nice day. The second time we took the cable car up, hired a taxi to take us to the photo op points halfway to Oia, then walked the ridge trail into Oia, took another taxi down the hill, and met the boat we had reserved for a lovely cruise around the caldera and back to the tender dock. A third option would be to get off the ship early and take the boat that goes directly to the port of Oia -- this also includes a bus ride up the hill, and later a bus back to Fira at your convenience. Only if you want to visit the winery or the archeological sites would you need a ship's tour.

Edit: the boat we chartered was the Anemos:

https://www.santorini.com/sailing/anemos-boat/

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We have also been to Ephesus twice. The first time we were on Crystal and they offered several tours including one where the guide was an archeologist at Ephesus – his insights were very helpful and we enjoyed that a lot. The second time we went as part of a roll call private group with Dicle Gundem [diclegundem@gmail.com] who picked us up at the harbor, took us through Ephesus and the Terrace Houses [don't miss!], to lunch at a restaurant in Selcuk, then to the newly renovated Ephesus Archeological Museum [worth the visit] and back to the ship in plenty of time.

In Ephesus, DH, I and two passengers from our CC roll call had a wonderful tour with Ekol Travel. I think our sightseeing was enhanced by the small group.

We also did it with a small group. Had more time to appreciate at our own pace.

We have been to Santorini twice and I think we did better DIY than with ship tours. The first time we took the cable car up, the public bus to Oia and back, and then did the sights in Fira before taking the cable car down -- overall very nice day. The second time we took the cable car up, hired a taxi to take us to the photo op points halfway to Oia, then walked the ridge trail into Oia, took another taxi down the hill, and met the boat we had reserved for a lovely cruise around the caldera and back to the tender dock. A third option would be to get off the ship early and take the boat that goes directly to the port of Oia -- this also includes a bus ride up the hill, and later a bus back to Fira at your convenience. Only if you want to visit the winery or the archeological sites would you need a ship's tour.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We hired a car in Santorini, very easy to drive around, beat the crowds to Oia, then toured the island taking in the excellent Akrotiri ruins and visiting the beaches. Alternatively if you're not confident of driving in strange places, the public bus service is excellent and cheap.

We did a ship tour on santorini and it was good in that we were able to go to Oia and spend some time and then to a winery (not that great) and then dropped back in Fira. My one complaint about ship tours are the inconsiderate people who think the times given don't apply to them. We had a group of three women that were 15 minutes late. I would've just left them...

Oia had wonderful locally made crafts and amazing views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

THank you for your input and for taking the time to respond!

Thank you very much!