Ditch That Tux!

I can't say that I like everything that's in style these days either. While I'm not personally wearing the shorty-shrug jackets in metalic colors or carrying a purse that looks like it's covered in thin coins (for some reason, those things make me think of mermaids), those things are considered stylish these days. I'm just glad that those ultra-chunky shoes from a few years ago are gone! My daugthers had to have them, and they clunked around like horses.

Whether we personally like or dislike it, the cumberbund is now considered "very 80's", especially if it's the same colored to match the date's dress (having flashbacks to my prom now). Does that mean your hubby shouldn't wear one? Not at all! They're classic, even if they're not "up to the minute".

Oh, and I have to agree with several other posters: I LOVE men in kilts! Why didn't I marry a highland Scot? What was I thinking? Too late now, I'll just have to "settle" for him in a tux -- not that that's half bad, mind you.

Well, his is black - I didn't want the colored ones - but I had no idea that the vests were the current "style" I just thought the traditional looks still held.

I'm with you though...I'll wear SOME trendy stuff but not most of it. I love it when I ask my teen son "how does this look" and he says "well cute if it wasn't on you!" :eek:

most of these pro-tux opinions are being voiced by females. i side with the OP, on my last X cruise i rented onboard and it fit like a feedbag!:rolleyes: wore it the first formal night and skipped the second. leaving for the Constellation and traveling partner and I have decided to eat casual on the formal nights. NO tux, NO suit, No tie, NO WAY!:eek:

LOL. Hope you have a good flame proof suit though because they are going to be coming out of the woodwork to get you.:eek: Good luck:)

(unfortunately 50 approaching pretty soon).

Surely you don't prefer the alternative to turning 50, do you?:eek:

I notice all you gals mention good old james bond (which one? sean,roger) and here was us mere mortals thinking it was our "classic" look that was making you all doe eyed and full of wunderlust when all the time you were thinking of other men! shameless!!;)

I know Sean Connery is the classic, but I'd have to go with Pierce Brosnan, myself, IF I were the type to fantasize about such things (no, of course I'm not:rolleyes: ). And they dumped him. ***sigh***

Dont forget guys DITCH THOSE TUXES! (don't go buying any dresses for yourselves though,i dont mean you to give up your manhood etc.)

Hmmmm. Maybe there's a cruise line that ditches formal night in favor of cross-dressing night. :D

Coming from a 20 year old female....tuxedos on guys are definitely hot. Nothing better than seeing your man all dressed up. My next cruise is with family, but if I ever went with my guy, he WOULD wear a tux. Anything less is unacceptable! Come on guys, how often do you get to put on an expensive tux in the middle of the ocean?!? There's nothing better. I loved seeing all the guys in their tuxedos on formal night. It was so nice to know that guys will actually dress up (whether they want to or not) ;) There are plenty of ways that you can spice up a tux though. You certainly don't have to look like you just attended a funeral. Get a vest or tie with a little color in it (I prefer red) Guys who have the guts to dress up definitely score big points in my book!

Guess not many agree with the OP, myself inculded. I am a married fashionista in my early 30's, DH in late 20's, and he looks HOT in a tux-when I can get him in one, it never stays on too long!!

Maybe the only tux the OP ever came into contact with are the $60 rentals for prom with the blue ruffled shirt-that's not a tux sweetie, that's an abomination.

Get a Hugo Boss tux, or Armani, or any number of well-designed tuxes, you will never be lonely!!

Thank you Mary Ellyn and Jim for the information. My husband is like a kid in a candy store waiting until our next cruise! He loves dressing up at night he works in the yards for a railroad so never gets to dress up for the job! The first cruise he complained the entire time until we got there and then it was total change around. He loves to dress up and be served for dinner. He says This IS A Vacation!:D

I have lost count of the amount of times i have seen 70/80% of men turn out on formal nights of a cruise in a tuxedo:eek: . Guys give it up!!! its dead, its been dead for years.There are so many wonderfull designers out there (well in europe anyway) working with great materials and colours that their really is not any excuse to dress like a pall bearer.:confused:

Come on get those creative juices going,dont belive the wife when she tells you "You look so handsome " YOU DONT,you look like you have been abducted from a Sinatra concert in the sixties.I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

Oh! and whats with that cumberband thingy,thats like wearing your underpants over the top of your trousers, stylish i think not:p

So ok men lets take some control here and demand a little bit of panache,choose your own suit,Armani,Paul Smith etc. and lets show these women who's wearing the (stylish) pants.

P.S. And putting your teenage son in a tux. THATS A BIG NOOO!!!

Looking foreward to the revolution!;)

Happy cruising!

Jazz.

Sure am glad my elegantly clad SO does not think like you! Have you seen Armani's tuxes? and the fab ones Paul Smith is doing this year that Neiman's has on the rack? That, Jazz, is Style!

This female agrees with the OP :)

I could not care less what anyone wears. And if others don't like what I am wearing, that is their problem, not mine. There are too many "important" things in life to stress about, clothing should not be one of them!! JMO folks ;)

Hope you all have a safe and healthy holiday season

###

This female agrees with the OP :)

I could not care less what anyone wears. And if others don't like what I am wearing, that is their problem, not mine. There are too many "important" things in life to stress about, clothing should not be one of them!! JMO folks ;)

Hope you all have a safe and healthy holiday season

Except the OP DOES care what others wear...he is trying to get everyone to ditch the tux and says anyone who wears one or loves their SO to wear one has bad taste and is out of style. He is the one stressing....not those of us who still appreciate a man in a well-fitting tux.

I noticed that too-figued it spoke to the OP's lack of fashion knowledge.

Cumberband=band that plays instruments made of cucumbers.:confused:

All I could think of was something strange involving rubberbands and cucumbers. Your idea makes slightly more sense than mine.

Well here's one guy who likes his ebay Calvin tux.

Ok maybe I don't like it like I like...um...say....CSI:Miami or a good hot dog

But it makes DW so very happy that it's a no-brainer on to wear or not to wear.

I still think that formal night is one of the richest parts of the whole cruise.

Yeah, I go right back to the cabin after dinner to get back into shorts and a shirt so I sure understand those who don't want to participate. I wonder if the time is coming where the dining room could be segregated (in a good way) for formal and not so formal.

Still, there are a LOT of lovely ladies and handsome gentlemen on formal night. It takes more effort to be that way than to keep on my shorts and hit the buffet. I'd hate for someone really sensitive to that to have their grand time ruined.

Comparing lines, I was pleased to see many MORE tuxedoed (sp?) guys and gals than on Carnival, not quite as many as Princess but a real effort was made. In fact...oh I forgot this...I remember asking DW and checking the compass to be sure I wasn't dressed wrong when I saw so many people dressed up on non-formal nights. I never felt that way on other lines, it was cool.

JMHO

Nothing personal, I say TUX, Smhux, I actually own one for professional reasons and would prefer not to. While on vacation I prefer to relax and enjoy myself without having to dress formal. I do, however, realize that some people like to dress formal and I think that is fine. Some of us just like to be comfortable. We do dress nicely and have never felt out of place. Jeans and T-shirts are not our MO. We also encourage that everyone be themselves and enjoy the whole experience.

A Tuxedo is awsome!!! My DH wears a suit to work everyday so why would he feel special in a suit at formal night??? No matter how young or how old a tuxedo will always make you special. It is hard to understand why so many people want everything to be casual now. What fun it is to really dress up and not just the ladies. Too bad the ships don't enforce the dress code more for formal nights which we enjoy so very much. That has always been a special part of cruising. Maybe some do not understand that. Just my humble opinion and I understand that. Tuxedos rule.

I personally wore my tux on my last sailing. As a matter of fact, I wore it 2 of our 3 formals on this cruise. I seem to think I look pretty darn snappy in a tux. One of our tablemates wore a soccer shirt with stripes and numbers to formal dinner one night. So its all a matter of what you choose and what makes you comfortable. This particular tablemate was a hoot and we had a lot of fun with this person throughout the cruise. Was his dress in bad taste? I think not, he was just being himself and relaxing which is what cruising is all about. So spend your money on all your designer suits and I will spend mine on another cruise.

Archived