Ditch That Tux!

I know I know wrong thread but.... where is the best place for my DH purchase some vests to go with his tux? He wants vests that express who he is and or coordinate with what I am wearing. By the way my DH always rented a tux before and said if I am going on a cruise and dressing up much better for me to purchase my own tux then renting every time. He loves to dress up on formal nights! He thinks we are all that all dressed up!

I've got a strange question... how do you tell what's a tux and what isn't. I used to think that if it had a bowtie vest and a cummerbund, it was a tux. But I think I've seen tuxes without these things, and suits with bowties, etc.

Is it a particular cut? Length? Fit? We went through this for our wedding... the tux catalogue was in front of me, DH asked me to choose, and I chose the most traditional, "penguin-looking" one. But there were all sorts....

I have lost count of the amount of times i have seen 70/80% of men turn out on formal nights of a cruise in a tuxedo:eek: . Guys give it up!!! its dead, its been dead for years.There are so many wonderfull designers out there (well in europe anyway) working with great materials and colours that their really is not any excuse to dress like a pall bearer.:confused:
Sorry, Jazzman, but you need to know the truth: you're a moron.

Men look wonderful in tuxedos, and they ARE created by the wonderful designers whom you praise. Cumberbunds are out of style, but the current trend towards vests is really nice.

From other posts (I'm bored today), Jazzman5 is the father of a couple of teens. I guess they don't want to dress up (I'm guessing they don't want to wear Armani suits, either) and he doesn't want to make them. Why that translates into nobody else should wear one, either, is beyond me, though.:confused:

As a young single female, I can tell you, that a man in a well-fitted tux will look better (at least to me) than most other men in a room. The only exception for me, might be a man in a military uniform.
As an (ahem) OLDER single female, I can tell you that a man in a well-fitted tux will look better to me than he does in anything else. You can put a total schlub in a tux, and POOF! he looks good.

Men are lucky; a tux is timeless; we have to constantly update OUR look.

Carol

I have lost count of the amount of times i have seen 70/80% of men turn out on formal nights of a cruise in a tuxedo.

I've never seen that many men in a tux on formal night. I would estimate no more than 10% on our West Coast cruises and maybe 25% in Europe. What line are you cruising, anyway?

Guys give it up!!! its dead, its been dead for years.There are so many wonderfull designers out there (well in europe anyway) working with great materials and colours that their really is not any excuse to dress like a pall bearer.

Have you been to a funeral lately? Pallbearers wear dark suits, not tuxes, unless they're military, in which case they're in uniform. Even the corpse probably doesn't wear a tux. But I'm sure they're stylish suits.

Come on get those creative juices going,dont belive the wife when she tells you "You look so handsome " YOU DONT,you look like you have been abducted from a Sinatra concert in the sixties.

And you call yourself Jazzman5? (OK, I know Sinatra isn't techincally jazz, but real jazzmen wear tuxes. :cool: )

I mean come on, when your honey's sense of style is not so hot itself and she has just told you what to wear its a bit scary yeah!!!

:confused:

Oh! and whats with that cumberband thingy,thats like wearing your underpants over the top of your trousers, stylish i think not:p

The CUMMERBUND is even more challenging than the bowtie to get right. I prefer a vest, but DH won't wear one because we like to dance and it would get too warm. So I'm frequently yanking the cummerbund thingy down to hide the shirt gap. Hmm, maybe that's why he likes it....

So ok men lets take some control here and demand a little bit of panache,choose your own suit,Armani,Paul Smith etc. and lets show these women who's wearing the (stylish) pants.

Now that's a scary thought!:eek:

P.S. And putting your teenage son in a tux. THATS A BIG NOOO!!!

Awww, did mommy make you dress up? I'm sure a pair of baggy pants with the underwear showing from under the waistband would be more comfy, but I don't think they make Jockeys in a formal style.

:D

JEAN!!!! You get over here RIGHT NOW with the WINDEX and the PAPER TOWELS and clean the spit off my monitor and keyboard!!

HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE

As an (ahem) OLDER single female, I can tell you that a man in a well-fitted tux will look better to me than he does in anything else. You can put a total schlub in a tux, and POOF! he looks good.

Ah, I've see you've met one of my uncles. He is a classic good ole boy redneck who lives in his overalls. He thinks dressing up to go out is to button up both straps. BUT, when he goes ballroom dancing, he pulls out his tux and even this 400 plus man, looks really good.

As a young single female, I can tell you, that a man in a well-fitted tux will look better (at least to me) than most other men in a room. The only exception for me, might be a man in a military uniform.

And the only other exception for ME, would be a man in full dress kilt. (What can I say, my husband is Scottish?!);)

This post made just made my lunch hour more enjoyable.

To the original poster...you really do know how to stir the pot my dear boy. You gotta be in your 20's - as you age you will see that a man in a tux is like a fine wine (did I just say that???) You have to take him in your hands, breathe him in deeply and then enjoy the taste - oh Lordy !! Give me a man in a tux anyday. Theres just something so, so James Bond about that.

Alright, enough of fantasizing, Im going back to work.

:)

Thanks jennygirl,glad you entered the spirit of the post and that it tickled your fancy.

Oh and thanks for the twenties comment (unfortunately 50 approaching pretty soon).I think i will pass on the taking him in my hands part but i like the wine bit and appreciate what your saying.:D

I notice all you gals mention good old james bond (which one? sean,roger) and here was us mere mortals thinking it was our "classic" look that was making you all doe eyed and full of wunderlust when all the time you were thinking of other men! shameless!!;)

Dont forget guys DITCH THOSE TUXES! (don't go buying any dresses for yourselves though,i dont mean you to give up your manhood etc.)

lol!:p

Jazz.:cool:

Thanks jennygirl,glad you entered the spirit of the post and that it tickled your fancy.

Oh and thanks for the twenties comment (unfortunately 50 approaching pretty soon).I think i will pass on the taking him in my hands part but i like the wine bit and appreciate what your saying.:D

I notice all you gals mention good old james bond (which one? sean,roger) and here was us mere mortals thinking it was our "classic" look that was making you all doe eyed and full of wunderlust when all the time you were thinking of other men! shameless!!;)

Dont forget guys DITCH THOSE TUXES! (don't go buying any dresses for yourselves though,i dont mean you to give up your manhood etc.)

lol!:p

Jazz.:cool:

Oh right, like you aren't picturing Victoria's Secret models at times! What's good for the goose.........JK:cool:

Personally I prefer Roger to Sean but Pierce Brosnan run a close second!

Wow....I'm not sure what world you are living in....but tuxes are still quite popular here in the eastern states. My husband looks absolutley fabulous in a tuxedo....::::::;BLINK;:::::::!!!! He has that salt/pepper Richard Gere gray hair and oh my god...he is a total knockout in black or white jackets!

My boys who are 10, 14, and 19 all enjoy dressing up in the tux occasionally. They like that James Bond look....

I have to say on our last cruise...there were quite a few tuxes on formal night....I didn't really count...but there were quite a few.

tuxes aren't dead....believe me..

Esmerelda :)

Tux v kilt

For what its worth, you are only really entitled to wear a kilt if you are Scottish and I dont mean my great grandparent etc etc.

Hence my surname - Campbell.

My maiden name is Campbell and when I got married I became a Campbell-Mahony. Bit Scottish and Irish.

Jarronwood, my husband was born in Clyde Bank & his whole family (mom, dad, sister, brothers, etc.) still lives in Livingston--hope that counts! LOL!;)

Oh, and I agree with mew1960--Sean Connery now? Hmmmmm, if he showed up on my front doorstep, I may just have to leave my husband. (sorry honey...)

Cummerbunds are out of style? Really? Geez...I love that look! I don't like the vests!
I can't say that I like everything that's in style these days either. While I'm not personally wearing the shorty-shrug jackets in metalic colors or carrying a purse that looks like it's covered in thin coins (for some reason, those things make me think of mermaids), those things are considered stylish these days. I'm just glad that those ultra-chunky shoes from a few years ago are gone! My daugthers had to have them, and they clunked around like horses.

Whether we personally like or dislike it, the cumberbund is now considered "very 80's", especially if it's the same colored to match the date's dress (having flashbacks to my prom now). Does that mean your hubby shouldn't wear one? Not at all! They're classic, even if they're not "up to the minute".

Oh, and I have to agree with several other posters: I LOVE men in kilts! Why didn't I marry a highland Scot? What was I thinking? Too late now, I'll just have to "settle" for him in a tux -- not that that's half bad, mind you.

I have to agree with the 'tuxes are classic' camp on this one. Normally, I would just buy a really nice tux, but in this case the convenience of renting on board just trumps everything else - the majority of the men in my cruising group of 15 are either renting or bringing tuxes. I just hope those for myself and my partner fit well - I don't want to look like a kid in Dad's suit on halloween! (neither do I want to lug a suit/tux onboard and then pay to have it ironed). Perhaps it's telling that the only men in our group who have indicated they are NOT wearing tuxes are single. hmm. The ladies, to a one, are all dressing up and are really looking forward to their floating "prom."

:)

most of these pro-tux opinions are being voiced by females. i side with the OP, on my last X cruise i rented onboard and it fit like a feedbag!:rolleyes: wore it the first formal night and skipped the second. leaving for the Constellation and traveling partner and I have decided to eat casual on the formal nights. NO tux, NO suit, No tie, NO WAY!:eek:

Archived