Quick question on cell phones setting - we sail today.

We have iphones, AT&T Cruise Package, plus Voom package on the ship.

What should our settings be on our phones? Roaming on or off? Airplane mode on or off? Cellular data on or off? Anyone know?

Ljcofy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also turn off data roaming. AT&T and iPhone 6/7 get free calls through wifi. Works great with voom. First time my phone rang at sea I was worried I'd get charged. Called AT&T when I got back and found out about wifi calling, anywhere. Have never had an issue with it in the last two years. Enjoy[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you bought the cruise package, no reason to put your phone in airplane mode. You definitely do want to turn data roaming off and only turn it on if you want to use cellular data (which you should not need since you have voom), especially if you did not get the cruise package that includes data. As noted, provided your iPhone's are 6's or newer, you didn't need a cruise package as you can make calls over voom via wifi calling.

put it an airplane mode and turn on wifi, connect to wifi using the provided password. I used messenger through Facebook and actually called my kids though messenger (they were also on the ship and had the internet package) It was great!

Same here, put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi. There should be something on your phone to activate phone calls on wif under the phone setting. We received calls and could message and receive messages no extra charge.

How do you propose they use that cruise package they bought if the phone is in airplane mode?

They don't need the cruise package if they have WiFi calling enabled.

They don't need the cruise package if they have WiFi calling enabled.

I know that and even mentioned it in a previous post but all we know for sure is that the cruise package was already purchased and we don't know if they have wifi calling capable iPhones. I don't know if ATT will let you cancel the cruise package once purchased so presuming they still have that cruise package, putting the phone in airplane mode will prevent them from using that package. Perhaps buying it was not necessary but you might as well use it once bought if getting a refund isn't possible.

I know that and even mentioned it in a previous post but all we know for sure is that the cruise package was already purchased and we don't know if they have wifi calling capable iPhones. I don't know if ATT will let you cancel the cruise package once purchased so presuming they still have that cruise package, putting the phone in airplane mode will prevent them from using that package. Perhaps buying it was not necessary but you might as well use it once bought if getting a refund isn't possible.

I see your point, and if they do want to use the AT&T package, I would for sure turn off cellular data, as that is not unlimited (and is also very slow) on the AT&T cruise package. That alone could easily cost a bunch of money if the package limit is exceeded.