RCI travel protection insurance

I have taken quite a few RCI cruises, but have never purchased the insurance. Can someone educate me on these scenarios and what occurs assuming my family did purchase the insurance?

1) flight delayed which leads to missing ship. Full cash refund or 75% or are we forced to have to attempt to embark at the first port? Insurance states it provides $500 catch-up expenses, but my question is do you have to go or can you just cancel at that point?

2) late to the ship while in port and ship leaves without you. Does insurance cover this as a catch-up expense?

3) if a cash refund is given, how long does this take in your experience?

4) if a 75% future credit is given is this based on the actual cruise fare booked or the cruise fare minus any discounts? Let me explain: If I purchased a $2000 cruise, then cancel and take a $1500 FCC. Rebook another $2000 cruise, apply the $1500 FCC discount, then cancel again taking the 75% option, what do I get? $1500 FCC or $375 FCC.

Thanks in advance, Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No insurance can be very expensive. I've had to use my insurance for 5 cruises due to health problems and have gotten everything back except for cost of insurance. Well worth it.

Call RCL for further info on just not chasing ship around.

Same for missing ship. Call RCL.

Getting $$ back can take a few weeks.

Future credit questions I'll pass on those[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer all your questions. In truth, it is best to call the insurance underwriter for the definitive answers.

I'll give you my best shot. Here is what I understand to be true:

A flight delay is not a covered reason for cancellation and reimbursement, so, yes you have to try to catch up. The 75% cruise credit to cancel for any reason is not part of the insurance coverage. It is an accommodation from the cruise line. "Any reason" means just that, so you could cancel and take the credit.

Be aware that you can't insure the credit for loss on a second cruise because insurance companies do not recognize them as a form of cash payment. You could still get medical and evacuation coverage, but the cancellation part would be void. If you had to cancel a second time, even for a covered reason, you would be out the money. Since the cruise line provided the credit, not the insurance company, you'd have to take it up with RCI to see what could be done. Short answer - use it within in the prescribed time limit or lose it.

That is the way it was explained to me, but I have no first-hand experience. I'd be curious to hear from someone who has.

Of course you can avoid the whole issue by buying third-party insurance that pays you in cash when you cancel for any reason. It is probably more expensive and has to be purchased within a fixed time period, but it might be worth a look if it is a concern for you.

Hi everyone - I've read the policy and I was looking specifically for "cancel for work reason".........I read the "cancel for any reason" - 75% FCC. Does anyone recommend where to look for a "cancel for work reason" for business owners or should I just use the usual Cruise Insurance search engines that give you the non RCCL trip insurance?

Hi everyone - I've read the policy and I was looking specifically for "cancel for work reason".........I read the "cancel for any reason" - 75% FCC. Does anyone recommend where to look for a "cancel for work reason" for business owners or should I just use the usual Cruise Insurance search engines that give you the non RCCL trip insurance?

Yes, I would use insuremytrip.com. They are pretty good for comparing the various plans.

As a general rule, it is best to purchase trip insurance NOT from the cruise company, but from an independent insurance company. According to Clark Howard, "Policies cost about 5% of total cost of a trip, but it’s worth it. Consumers should always purchase a policy independent of the cruise, tour or vacation planner. Never purchase the trip protection plan from the trip organizer. They are designed to protect only the company and not the consumer. Always pay deposits and final payments by a real credit card and never by debit card or check.

TYVM - off to that site to purchase my insurance!!!

Please come back and post who you decided to go with Maria. I've not purchased the "cancel for work reason" part before, so I'm curious which company offers that.

• 1 month later...

Re; Looking for cancel for work information- This is from the RC insurance, I read that as work reasons are not covered, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

*Pleas

e note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty

and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise

vacation for any of the following reasons:

business, contractual or educational obligations of you, an immediate family member, or traveling companion;

Royal Caribbean's "cancel for any reason" is nice because no explanation is necessary. However the downside is you get reimbursed with a future cruise credit.

AIG's Travelguard has a "cancel for any reason" rider but I believe it adds $25 per person and only reimburses you 50% of the cost of the trip. However it is a cash refund, not cruise credit. Some of their higher tiers, Silver and up I think, also include "cancel for work" reasons which reimburse you 100% of the trip cost, however documentation is required (if self-employed, I believe you're just required to sign an affidavit).

Travelguard with "cancel for work" will likely be cheaper than Royal Caribbean's insurance, with the "cancel for any reason" rider they're probably about the same.

We use Nationwide for our cruise insurance, I actually had to look up the cancel for work coverage after things went a little crazy at my husband's office this summer. It only applies if you work for a company with over 25 employees and you are not the owner.

You can also add 'cancel for any reason' to a lot of cruise insurance policies for an extra fee. Each policy has its own rules about when you have to cancel by and how much is refunded.

Of course you can avoid the whole issue by buying third-party insurance that pays you in cash when you cancel for any reason. It is probably more expensive and has to be purchased within a fixed time period, but it might be worth a look if it is a concern for you.

In many cases, 3rd party insurance is cheaper that RCI, with better coverage and higher limits on covered items.

But you have to shop around. A lot depends on age. A few years ago we traveled with my parents. For us (late 50s) the 3rd party was much less expensive than RCI and much better coverage. For my parents (87), the 3rd party was almost as much as the cruise, so we insured them through RCI. But the med evac limit was less than the cost to get my Mother from Halifax back to DC. Luckily the air ambulance company accepted the insurance payment as payment in full ($29,000 total cost, $25,000 insurance coverage).

We booked our 3rd party insurance through Travel Insurance Store ( http://www.travelinsurancestore.com ). They also have a lot of very good information about insurance coverage and what things mean.