Sailing out of NOLA - question on the free bottles of alcohol in the room

maja651

We will be sailing out of New Orleans for the first time next March. We will be sailing in an owner's suite that comes with three bottles of liquor. Has anyone sailed out of New Orleans In a suite that comes with the free bottles of Liquor? Do you get the alcohol right away or do you have to wait until you're off of the Mississippi? Just curious as I remember reading a review from someone who sailed out of Houston in a GV and they didn't get their bottles right away.

We will be sailing out of New Orleans for the first time next March. We will be sailing in an owner's suite that comes with three bottles of liquor. Has anyone sailed out of New Orleans In a suite that comes with the free bottles of Liquor? Do you get the alcohol right away or do you have to wait until you're off of the Mississippi? Just curious as I remember reading a review from someone who sailed out of Houston in a GV and they didn't get their bottles right away.

I can't speak for New Orleans, but I explain the Houston thing. Sailing out of Texas is weird because the ship must comply with TABC laws whilst in Texas waters. They can only sell/serve alcohol that they've paid Texas taxes on while in the local waters. Once they get into international waters, there are no limits. There is a limited supply of the TABC booze. When we sailed Carnival a couple of years back out of Galveston, we had ordered a bottle to the cabin. We didn't get it until the second day because of TABC laws. Carnival also doesn't allow you to use their beverage package until the second day, either. Royal Caribbean also has restrictions, but their not as tight as Carnival.

I believe that would be the issue with not getting the bottles sailing out of Houston.

Louisiana does not have the restrictive liquor laws that Texas has. So you should get your liquor right away -- unless the crew member is too busy on turnaround day to deliver it. In that case ask concierge or butler or cabin steward or front desk.

I have the same exact question sailing out of San Juan. I have heard mixed stories. Any help would be appreciated.

We sailed Gem out of San Juan in December and the bottles were in the room when we got there around noon. We've had other trips were it was allowed but butler didn't get them until the next day which was not related to any port restriction.

Thanks everyone for your replies! This helps.

Also - interestingly enough, we too will be cruising out of San Juan, P.R. so that additional question and response helped as well!

And I will be cruising out of NOLA either late next year or early 2019. That is what attracted me to this thread. Thanks Michelle.

And I will be cruising out of NOLA either late next year or early 2019. That is what attracted me to this thread. Thanks Michelle.

I guess we are cruising similar cruises, just reversed the years.