Billing curiosity

Trixsterjl

On the 8th I finished a cruise on the NCL Escape. On the last day I checked my account and it totaled 661 and change. I got up in the morning and check the app and it was zero. I t stated it was settled via visa transactions. I was cool. Got of the ship and went home. Nothing on my bank I figured it ran credit and would hit my bank Monday. I now have a pending credit from NCL for 780 dollars. This is confusing the hell out of me. I'd assume that they hit credit instead of debit when doing the transaction but if they did that what is is 780. Maybe when I was really drunk I wont at blackjack or craps. LOL.

Sounds like it is a hold charge "pending credit" on your account. Is this a debit card? If so, they might hold your funds for a bit while longer than you'd like while making sure the transactions are paid up. I'm not sure what you mean by "hit my bank"? Are you expecting a refund?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Except they charged me about 170 total and then sent me a credit of 780. The total i owed was 661. So they aren't holding anything they are giving me over 600 instead of charging it. It's kind of madness. Even if that credit gets pulled and they charge me money it shouldn't go down that way. They should close the account the last day and bill you 1 time whan you owe. Not 19.95 for laundry, 38 for a meal, 135 for something (I have no clue).

It was very odd. Throughout the cruise stuff i bought showed as pending on my bank. Then they just vanished off my ledger. No money ever got removed from my account as being held they just treated my card like CC.

Also, fyi, if you are due a refund, you won't see it on your account. You will get a paper check in the mail 4 - 8 weeks after your cruise.

I'm starting to think the last at sea night when I was really drunk I must have won and deposited it into the account. The only thing about that is it would have shown as a credit before they closed out the account.

I'm not sure how your bank works, but a debit is a refund or deposit and a credit is a charge against an account.

In the banks terminology, a credit is a deposit..

For example, slips used to pay amounts into your bank account are often called something like a "credit slip". If you aren't overdrawn then your account is "in credit"

So, a pending credit on an account will be an amount being paid in.

It is a little counterintuitive to anyone who is used to bookkeeping etc, but it's because it's being looked at from the banks side. If an amount is being paid into your account then from the banks point of view it is being going into the credit side of your account (i.e. they owe you that money).

In the banks terminology, a credit is a deposit..

For example, slips used to pay amounts into your bank account are often called something like a "credit slip". If you aren't overdrawn then your account is "in credit"

So, a pending credit on an account will be an amount being paid in.

It is a little counterintuitive to anyone who is used to bookkeeping etc, but it's because it's being looked at from the banks side. If an amount is being paid into your account then from the banks point of view it is being going into the credit side of your account (i.e. they owe you that money).

Thanks. Learn something new everyday. I have always called a deposit/refund a debit and all charges as credits.

Oh well. [emoji2]

On the 8th I finished a cruise on the NCL Escape. On the last day I checked my account and it totaled 661 and change. I got up in the morning and check the app and it was zero. I t stated it was settled via visa transactions. I was cool. Got of the ship and went home. Nothing on my bank I figured it ran credit and would hit my bank Monday. I now have a pending credit from NCL for 780 dollars. This is confusing the hell out of me. I'd assume that they hit credit instead of debit when doing the transaction but if they did that what is is 780. Maybe when I was really drunk I wont at blackjack or craps. LOL.

Wait a week and let it all cycle through, by that time you should have a single charge from NCL for the $661. Trying to do it so quickly is not going to work, you are seeing the temporary holds that they placed.

Wait a week and let it all cycle through, by that time you should have a single charge from NCL for the $661. Trying to do it so quickly is not going to work, you are seeing the temporary holds that they placed.

Great advice. Just watch it and wait.

WRONG - you have the backasswards. Credits are deposits and debits are withdrawals. Why do you think it is called a DEBIT card?

Yeah...Thanks. I already admit I was confused. Lack of coffee I guess. Thanks for your lovely vocabulary btw.