Cruising the Baltics with a Teen and Tween on the Getaway; A Review

Travel R

THE LAST PORT: STOCKHOLM

A Glorious Morning

A glorious morning it was – the sun was shining bright over the dark waters, but the chill did not breach as deep as the past days. A white speck had come to my attention across the bay. It was not an ugly duckling, but a swan already grown into its ivory plumage. I took it as a favorable omen for the day to come.

enhance

An illness was noticeably upon my body – the need for sleep was not just the symptom of the long journeys that were now in the rearview window, but of the sickness slowly taking residence upon my being. However, a new day was beginning, and a new port was soon to be explored. The promising experiences ofthe forthcoming day infused me with the energy to begin the day and push on to explore the unknown shore.

Our excursion's voucher had a start time of a quarter to eight, so it was another early morning undertaking for my family. Although my attention was initially drawn towards the white of the cygnet, there was a much broader beauty to behold in the surrounding area. Outside of our jaunt in Iceland, we found Sweden to be the most scenic of all the ports we had visited, which began straight-away from the surroundings of the port itself.

enhance

enhance

Ourship had docked in Nynashamn, a town located about 35 miles south of the cityof Stockholm. When I began gathering information about this cruise, I was unaware of a port being available much closer to Stockholm itself. Upon learning of that port on some alternate itineraries, and the picturesque entry through the hundreds of islets coming into harbor, I was a bit upset by having missed out on that experience. On the other hand, while reading reports of the Getaway being diverted to Nynashamn anyway, and at least one itinerary completely missing that port, I was glad that my cruise had been scheduled from the start for the safer option. On a cruise such as this, if I was given the option, in this case I probably would have chosen the safer option as well. [i would only hazard to guess that my itinerary was not scheduled for Stocholm because all of those berths were already reserved for occupation on that date.] That being said, the surrounding area of our port was still quite beautiful framed by the surrounding sea and decorated by Mother Nature – and there were a few islands to be seen (on the way out of port, since we were adrift in our dreams upon arrival).

enhance

Modern technology was in the forefront of the environment as one could not escape it for such a port. The “dock” itself was amoving gangway that electrically extended from the shore to the ship’s entrance portal, which I found fascinating to watch (while on the balcony awaiting my cabin-mates to get themselves ready). To continue with our vacation-long mission of avoiding crowds, we made our way to the Moderno venue once again fo rtheir Express Breakfast. The narrow selection of items had not miraculously expanded, but there were still an ample number of seats and tables to choose from without the abundance of passengers and chaos of the buffet. The meal, as usual, satisfied our hunger and tied us over until lunch, and was quick enough to allow us time to arrive early at the Getaway Theater for instructions on how to assimilate into our tour group.

We arrived at the designated area and sent down to the bottom of the theater so as to receive our tour stickers, which are a red with an associated number displayed largely in black. This number is associated with the group and bus you were to be associated for the day. With the number of people they had taking tours, the process looked to be working fairly efficiently, although there was a bottlejam at the egress when each tour number was bellowed from the cruise staff member below. [Tip: after you arrive, one member should go down to get the number, and the other(s) should go to the top right of the room as close to the door as possible (and save you a seat) – in this fashion, once they call your number, you will be as close the exit as possible, which in turn will allow you to get to the bus quicker, thus allowing you the choice of your seats.]

Missing the Ship

Departing the ship and finding our bus was quick and easy and we claimed our seats upon the large coach bus. This was not as mall private tour like the one we hired in Saint Petersburg, but it met our needs. There were smaller private tours available, and at a smaller price, butI had made the decision to chose the ship’s services for one reason, and one reason only – to avoid any stress on this, the last port of our amazing cruise vacation. The idea of missing the ship if you do not use one of their tours is a very unlikely scenario; however, with the ship being between forty five minutes to an hour away, I did not want to even take a minute chance, regardless of how remote it might be.

That being said – it may have happened to at least one passenger on our ship. I am getting ahead of myself, but it may be the the appropriate to include the story. While observing a stunning sunset our balcony from our starboard stateroom, there was a small boat wading off one of the islands ahead of us. It then began to move, angling towards our ship, which I thought was strange. It continued to approach the ship, and eventually stayed pace with us, while moving yet closer. Then it seemed to have docked with the ship for a few moments while the lifboats of the lower decks blocking my view, and eventually left, heading back towards from whence we came. Our hypothesis is that it was passengers that had missed the ship and paid for this transport to take them aboard. There might be a dozen other reasonable explanations, but since we still have not experienced the passengers running down the length ofthe dock while the ship sailed away, this is the tale we will be spinning for years to come.

enhance

What you saw was the ship's pilot getting on/off the ship. If you look closely you can see "pilot" on the side of the boat. They guide the ship in and out of port.

What you saw was the ship's pilot getting on/off the ship. If you look closely you can see "pilot" on the side of the boat. They guide the ship in and out of port.

Thanks that does make sense.

Although I thought it odd that it docked with our ship.

FINAL DAY AT SEA – A SHORT STORY

A Tasteful Morning

It was many days in coming. The inevitability was hiding around every corner, in every shadow, and behind every door. I would have liked it to have waited at least one more day, or to have never arrived at all. However, all the signs were there – the exhaustion, the tiredness, the fatigue. After working like a madman, then without shifting gears moved directly into a fast-passed adventure, illness had finally taken over my body.

Even under the weather, I still woke up early, put on a sweatshirt and sat outside, hoping the salt air would clear my head of its ills. No such luck, but also took out a blanket and my headphones, and enjoyed being outside on our last sea day of this wonderful adventure.

The Travel R clan eventually arose from their slumbers, got dressed, and we all headed out for our morning victuals. Our choice of venue this morning was Taste. Instead of the juice of the bean I opted for tea this morning for its supposed healing properties. OJ was also on the menu for its high content of Vitamin C [note: I took a multi-vitamin each day of the vacation]. Illness rarely affects my appetite, and besides a breakfast rolls, I also had grits, whole wheat waffles, and an omelet to order.

After breakfast we all retired back to the stateroom. My family talked for a little while and watched some TV and discussed our plans for the day. I was put on bed rest detail, while the remainder had plans of their own. My DDs had made plans to meet up with their friends at their respective clubs, then spend the day hanging out with each other. My wife was looking at the Daily for things to do, and as mentioned, I was going to spend the day in bed or on the balcony when I was not eating.

Review of Account

Thecrew of NCL so nicely placed a print-out of our account under our door while wewere out, so I took the time to review their tally. Although the account is available on the screenin the room, I had not been reviewing it. So when some things looks awry, I compared it against the screen. We were twice charged for beverages at O’Sheehans and the way the money exchange charges were listed needed some explaining.

I went down to the desk to talk to them about it. [note: It was still early morning, so there was only one person on line in front of me – if you are going to any of the NCL desks go very early or very late to avoid the lines. I would not even consider going the evening before disembarking.] They removed the charges for any of the soda since it was evident that we had the beverage package, and it was not a logical charge. They also explained the charges for the money exchange – there were three different line items for each exchange. However, when we went over the bill, it all came out even. The rep was very nice, patient, and the transaction was performed rather quickly.

Foggy & What To Do (for DW)

My DW’s biggest complaint about NCL is that there was not much to do on the ship when the weather was not great outside. If it was warm and sunny, give my DW a lounge chair (and it does not have to be near the pool) and she is happy, add a cold margharitta or pina colada and she is very happy. However, since the weather on a Baltic cruise is not conducive to deck activities, she was hoping that there would be alternate activities within the ship for her to take part in or entertainment which she may enjoy. Yes, there are a lot of items listed in the Daily – but when you take a closer look, a great number of them are sales promotions. For instance, the Daily lists “Final Registration for Grand Finale” at 12:30, then “Grand Finale Art Auction” at 1:00 – two listings for the same sales event. There are also a number of events listed with an additional fee attached.

Going in, we knew that their was a chance of the weather not complying with us, and in fact it was probably 5-10 degrees below the average temperature as well on most days. NCL should have figured that out as well and had other alternative means of entertainment available. I know that they did move some of the evening deck parties to the Bliss lounge (which meant that crowds for two events were being consolidated into one), however, additional programming was not added for the cancelled activities during the day.

Although I took a book and my iPod out to the balcony to chill out in the foggy gloom ofthe mid-morning’s light, and my daughters had friends to meet, my DW was nothappy with her options (and she is not a trivia person). [interestingly, I was reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - coming soon to Broadway, and probably $1000 per ticket, which happened to be the trivia topic for that morning, which I had originally planned on attending.] While the fog hornscould be heard bellowing over the music blaring from my headphones, my DW watched some TV and eventually left to find something to entertain herself around the ship. It was a little cool outside, and even with a sweatshirt and blanket to shield myself from the breeze, it was still very relaxing.

[Not the prettiest picture, but very still very tranquil and relaxing:]

enhance

As the day grew longer, and the day morphed from morning to noon, I began to feel even worse.

Lunch and Second Lunch

Just before noontime I was getting hungry, and was in the mood for some hot soup to hopefully clear my head. I did not feel like waiting at a sit-down to eat, so I headed up to the Garden Buffet. This was the transition time between breakfast and lunch, so there were items available from both meals – a true brunch. Although the soup had not yet been added to the showcase, the burgers were already on display. I took it upon myself to have one of these burgers, and topped it with (scrambled) eggs, bacon, and shrimp. I took a seat during what may have been the only time I found the Buffet area to be devoid of massive crowds.

As I sat at my small table meant for two, a group of teens took refugeat a table not far away. My DD17 was a member of that posse. A short while had transpired until she recognized me sitting only fifteen feet away. This provided with an opportunity to be a voyeur into my daughter’s social cruise life – or at least a rare glimpse into a few moments of it. It is good to see that she was very talkative to her groupmates, and even telling jokes (I saw her friends laugh as some things she was saying). Noticing the group dynamics, she seemed to also be at the center of the conversation. The group she came with had about 7 or 8 coed youth, but it was amorphous. Other groups of teens would come and join their table, then leave, but it was not always the same kids that left together. On a realted note, it is also interesting to note that they (the teens) reserved their own table at the Tropicana room for that evening – they had a table for ten (although I believe that 11 or 12 showed up).

I was happy to hear that my DD12 hung out with her friends during the day, and although the weather was not great, she conqured the Rope Course. However, due to the winds, the plank was closed. Personally, I was really looking forward to doing the Rope Course on this cruise, but I guess Mother Nature and Aceso had other plans for me. But it gives me a reason to sail on another Norwegian ship with this option.

[Although a chill remained in the air, the fog had dissipated later in the afternoon:]

enhance

Eventually, my DD caught sight of me, waved, then positioned herself behind some tablemates so that I was unable to see her. Moments later my DW happened to be walking by (I had left a sticky note as to my whereabouts in our room). She was hungry, and did not want to eat there, so she asked if I would like to go to O’Sheehans. Of course, I obliged. Once at O’Sheehans I ordered the hearty Irish soup/stew to fight my cold and a double portion of the Thai chili chicken wings (althoughnot very spicy, they were intended to clear the congestion in my head).

After lunch, I went back to the room and took a long nap until I was awoken a few hours later for dinner. Our meal was had at Taste. Although I had felt ill earlier in the day, I was beginning to really not feel well and thought that some food would help. Even after I ate dinner, I was still not feeling great. After eating (I did not even have any post-meal sweets), I went back to the room and returned to the land of Nod.

While I was asleep my DD12 won a Scooby-Doo stuffed animal in the arcade. My DW attended the 7:30 comedy show, which we signed up for on Day #1 at the Box Office. Guess what? Yes, they did not have her/us on the list for that evening as well. Fortunately, she was able to watch the show on standby. However, she did not think the comedian was that great. [note: By the time we arrived at the Box Office to reserve the comedy shows all of the late-night “adult” comedy shows had already been fully booked. Once again, if you want to see shows that are important to you, you either have to get to the Box Office early or deal with stand by. Also, make sure you have a confirmation for the day and time – they messed up again, so there is something not processing correctly in their system.]

[Another photo of that same bridge we sailed under on the way out of Denmark, this time with a daylight view:]

enhance

Since I had slept for most of the day, it was a short one for me. This cold had stopped me in my tracks from not doing anything more than eating. I thought that this would have been the day I would have done the Rope Course. Even in the cold I would have done at least one of the slides (more if I was not freezing). I would have strolled the deck and maybe played mini golf, or at least climbed the rock wall. I would have enjoyed the Harry Potter trivia, and was actually planning on attending the art auction (I had never been to one aboard a ship, and wanted to see what all of the non-stop promotion is all about). There was a Bob Marley tribute I would have loved to watch/listen to, and would have enjoyed going to Howl at the Moon one last time. Maybe even go dancing with my DW - something which we never really got a chance to do on this trip. If my body was feeling better, I would have loved to have done some exercising.

Sleep had come to me like a close friend. . . .

enhance

WHAT I DID NOT DO ON THE GETAWAY

We visited many countries on the ship, and although there are still plenty of things I would love to have done in each port, time was always a consideration. I think I had listed a few of the things I would like to do when I return to the ports.’

This post is going to be about what I did not do or see on the mega cruiser, the Getaway. It is a big ship and there are a lot of things to do and see, but we were unable to do them due to several factors, such as:

• This was a port-intensive cruise, where the ports themselves were many times full-day affairs – leaving only a few hours in the evening
  • Cost/Price
  • Allergies & restrictions on alcohol
  • Exhaustion/Sickness
  • Scheduling conflict
  • Weather
enhance

Haven –One day I would love to have a “Haven experience.” However, with our current finances and travelling with four in-tow, this option is cost prohibitive at this time. For all of those that have ever commented “well if you [fill in blank], then book a Haven” – I am more than willing to accept your donation to pay for it for us. [Just a pet peeve I have in regards to some of the trolls commenting on these boards (luckily not on this thread).] Currently, the “balcony experience” is more than adequate for us, and even the “inside experience” has been pleasurable, but one can still dream. [but I still have to consider myself very, very lucky. While I dream of a Haven suite, there are those (e.g., in the US) that dream of travelling to Europe, much less even on a cruise.]

Vibe –This is not an option for me. I do not enjoy just sitting out in the sun. It is more of something my DW would enjoy, although she has never complained about sitting out in the sun at the regular deck/poolside area. However, for this itinerary, due to the weather, this option would be a complete waste. Unless they put on a retractable roof tokeep out the rain and the heat is kept in. [A retractable roof would have been a wonderful option for the main pool deck area - just saying is all.]

Physical Activities

• Basketball – there looked to be a nice court on top the ship.
  • Rope Course – for the umpteenth time – I really wanted to do this. I should have made time earlier in the cruise
  • Slides – they look very cool, but that was the problem, it was usually too cool out to enjoy them
  • Pool – not the right weather, although they looked miniscule. I do not know if I would have gone in
  • Saunas – my DW did use them, and they did look nice. Too hot for my sensitive skin.
  • Rock Wall – Another activity that is right up my alley, but time and sickness also prevented me from climbing
  • Bungee Trampoleen – I am not sure where this was, but the concept looked like it would have been fun

Parties- Due to the weather and not knowing where they were sometimes moved to, anddue to other conflicts, we never went to any of them. Maybe if we went on aCaribbean cruise on Getaway, and the weather were much nicer, we would havetaken a look, but it just did not seem that appealing.

Poolside Music - What is a cruise without sitting poolside listening to Bob Marley?

Bars –Unfortunately, since I am currently unable to drink, these were taken out of the equation for this trip. We wouldhave probably tried out the Ice Bar had we not gone to the Ice Bar in Helsinki.

Art Auction – I had never been to one of these art auctions while on any of my prior cruises. I figured that the lasts sea day of this vacation would be my chance. However, being sick changed that and I had to sit it out. I have been to auctions before (on land), and wondering what all the hype of a cruise art auction is all about. Maybe next time.

Activities– There were a few activities/events that I missed out mostly due to conflicts with other activities and excursions, or due to being sick. I would have liked to brush up on my Russian during the Learn Russian classes, there was an event about Theo Faberge, and although I know it was intended to sell his stuff, there would have been an educational component. I would have enjoyed some of the trivia games in the mornings and a few of the game shows in the evenings.

Shopping– I skipped over as much shopping on the ship as possible. This I was glad to have not experienced.

Smoking –I do not smoke. My DW is smoking hot, but in a visual sense only. However, I really did not notice very much (if any) cigar/cigarrette smoke while on the ship. I did not smell it while walking through the casino, nor anywhere else inside the ship. The only time I noticed people smoking were on the top deck in a semi-enclosed glass room – but I did not smell anything walking by.

Gambling– Although I always seem to lose a few bucks on most cruises, I did not try my luck at all, and my DW only did so a little bit on the last sea day. I was too tired, and there seemed to be other options that were more tempting. The casino looked like every other casino on every other ship I have been on.

Library & Internet Cafe –I did not even see them.

Waterfront– Although I did walk on it once or twice, due to the weather we did not enjoy it – or was I able to order one of those lobster rolls from the take-out window of Ocean Blue.

Nighttime Entertainment – There were a few things we did not experience besides the parties. My DW only went to one early comedy show, and I did not go to any, there were other performers we did not see, and other things that were going on.

Solo Cruising – Do not laugh. Although this is probably not an option I may ever do, I just wanted to mention again how well NCL takes caters to its solo passengers.

Food Venues – There were a number of venues that we did not visit because we only had 3 meals on our dining plan – but also one complimentary venue was not frequented:

• Shanghai – This is a complementary restaurant, but we did not get a chance to visit it. It seemed to have fallen off of my radar. It is also kind of tucked away, so it is not as noticeable when walking by it.
  • Teppenyaki – I have been to a few of these stateside. In fact for my next birthday I might be taking the course at Benihannas to learn how to work the grill. Probably a choice (if we have a choice) for a future cruise.
  • La Cuccina – Coming from New York, I am very critical of pizza and Italian food. There are not many places in this world that can actually make good Italian food (in my humble opinion), and I would not trust a cruise ship to be one of those places. Our only previous experience at a specialty restaurant on a cruise ship before was at an Italian venue, and the food was mediocre at best. I was not going to choose La Cuccina, unless it becomes the last option available.
  • Margaretville – Besides being outdoors on the cold deck (I had passed by at times when there were absolutely no customers at all), it was a pay restaurant. If at a land resort or attraction (e.g., Universal), you spend the few extra bucks, on a cruise ship with so much free food around, and not drinking alcohol, it seems like a waste of money.
  • Cagneys – It’s a steak house. I get it. There are a ton of world class steak houses in the NYC area. I am not going to get a world class steak on a ship. I also grill them up really nice (one of the annual charity dinners I run is a steak n’ spirits dinner where I have to cook up 70+ steaks). I guess I am looking for something a little different/entertaining while on a cruise – and my DW does not love steaks, which also contributed to our decision not to go here. And I was able to get my fill of steak at other venues.
  • Ocean Blue – This is definitely an option if we ever do this again. My DD17 is currently on an anti-seafood diet, so this restaurant was ruled out for this cruise.
  • Raw Bar – I do not remember seeing this
  • Wasabi Sushi – My DW, DD12, and I enjoy an excessive amount of sushi while at home. With so many other complimentary venues, it never became tempting enough to go and try.
  • Dolce Gelato and the Bake Shop – Once again, neither were really needed to curb our appetites (and $ to do so). Note – O’Sheehans does serve ice cream from Dolce, but also charges you for it.
  • Premium Coffee in Atrium – The coffee (complimentary) on the Getaway was not fabulous, but it was good enough that my DW did not have me run down to purchase a coffee for her every morning. [FYI – I do not believe the premium coffee is included in the UBP.]

I can see myself making use of much more of what the ship had to offer on a Caribbean or similar itinerary, but they should have made a few changes to meet the needs for sailing in the Baltic region.

I amot sure if this post/list is helpful to anyone, but it is something I may look back upon myself to see the things I should put at the top of my list the next time I sail on an NCL ship.

I will eventually be writing about our departure from the Getaway and the noble city of Copenhagen, but before I do, I would like to add a few pictures I had forgotten to include when I critiqued the Million Dollar Quartet.

The show is performed in the main Getaway Theater. Outside of the theater they have a wall devoted to the Miami Dolphins.

enhance

Also, below are a few photos taken of the MDQ stage prior to the show:

enhance

enhance

OP-If I missed it I am sorry, but were you actually scheduled to dock in Stockholm? We are going in a few weeks and are scheduled to dock in Nynashamn. (we have a tour to Stockholm-a one hour drive) I wonder if it is foggy can we can get into Nynashamn? I would have been so disappointed to have missed this port too. Thank you for your review (and your kind words about my son-he works hard at his craft-can't wait to see him!!)

I did not know that you were going again - that is wonderful. And you get to see your son again, which is doubly awesome. As a performer, does he get to spend time with you when he is not rehearsing/performing?

I did not want to hijack 300dct's thread, so I have brought my comment and question over to this thread.

As you probably read, I was finally able to add the port of Stockholm to my review. While there were a bunch of smaller islands we had to pass in/out of port, it looked like the the channel for the ships is much larger - so I would think that the fog should not be as much of an issue to dock here. The docking does not have to be exact either, since the dock moves out to the ship itself. But then again, the largest ship I had ever maneuvered in the water was about 22 feet long - so what do I know?

I did not know that you were going again - that is wonderful. And you get to see your son again, which is doubly awesome. As a performer, does he get to spend time with you when he is not rehearsing/performing?

I did not want to hijack 300dct's thread, so I have brought my comment and question over to this thread.

As you probably read, I was finally able to add the port of Stockholm to my review. While there were a bunch of smaller islands we had to pass in/out of port, it looked like the the channel for the ships is much larger - so I would think that the fog should not be as much of an issue to dock here. The docking does not have to be exact either, since the dock moves out to the ship itself. But then again, the largest ship I had ever maneuvered in the water was about 22 feet long - so what do I know?

Ha! Thanks! I had hoped that we could dock in Nynashamn regardless of the weather. We are on the NCL tour: Stockholm by land and sea, so I hope we get to "see" something.

We went on the Getaway in June 2016 to the Western Caribbean. This is our first time to go on this Baltic cruise. It will be nice to be on the same ship-we know our way around. We even lucked out and got the same stateroom as last time! Our best friends are going with us this time and are right next door! Fun times ahead!

DS does get to spend time with us when he is not working. For example, he is going on the 2 day St. Petersburg tour with us. He got a membership to the Hermitage and goes there every week, but has saved going to some of the other places in St. Pete with us. He is also the understudy for the male singer in Burn the Floor, so hopefully, he will not get called to do that. (Although I would enjoy seeing him in that show!) He has already had to do BTF one week this contract.

Getting really excited, but like you, I am busy getting ready to be off for 2 weeks at work. I will really relax when I am in the air on our way to Copenhagen by way of Manchester England! Again,thank you again for your review. It has been like reading a chapter of a good book every day!

Ha! Thanks! I had hoped that we could dock in Nynashamn regardless of the weather. We are on the NCL tour: Stockholm by land and sea, so I hope we get to "see" something.

We went on the Getaway in June 2016 to the Western Caribbean. This is our first time to go on this Baltic cruise. It will be nice to be on the same ship-we know our way around. We even lucked out and got the same stateroom as last time! Our best friends are going with us this time and are right next door! Fun times ahead!

DS does get to spend time with us when he is not working. For example, he is going on the 2 day St. Petersburg tour with us. He got a membership to the Hermitage and goes there every week, but has saved going to some of the other places in St. Pete with us. He is also the understudy for the male singer in Burn the Floor, so hopefully, he will not get called to do that. (Although I would enjoy seeing him in that show!) He has already had to do BTF one week this contract.

Getting really excited, but like you, I am busy getting ready to be off for 2 weeks at work. I will really relax when I am in the air on our way to Copenhagen by way of Manchester England! Again,thank you again for your review. It has been like reading a chapter of a good book every day!

Sounds like you will have a fabulous time. Enjoy!

I know that it is after the fact, but here is my proposed itinerary for Stockholm. I am copying it below just to be thorough in providing all of my information.

Stockholm/Nynashuamn (Fri 7/7) 8:00-4:00

Stockholm - Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, encompasses 14 islands and more than 50 bridges on an extensive Baltic Sea archipelago. The cobblestone streets and ochre-colored buildings of Gamla Stan (the old town) are home to the 13th-century Storkyrkan Cathedral, the Kungliga Slottet Royal Palace and the Nobel Museum, which focuses on the Nobel Prize. Ferries and sightseeing boats shuttle passengers between the islands.

Day’s Summary: Today we will be taking our first tour through the ship. The tour will take us from the port to Stockholm (which is about an hour away), and go around to the highlights of the city. However, the tour takes us into the famed Vasa Museum to see a completely preserved ship from the 1600s. There will be about four hours for us to walk around – which I suggest we spend visiting the Nobel and ABBA museums (however, I will research what other options may be close by). The day’s activities are followed by a romantic dinner for myself and mom at the French restaurant, Le Bistro – and the girls entertaining themselves on the ship.

Some options for leisure time (we can decide as we getcloser)

City Highlights & Leisure Time – 8 Hours - The perfect introduction to Stockholm, the Capital of Scandinavia. Take a rural drive from Nynashamn into Stockholm while your guide tells you about Sweden and Stockholm. Enjoy the beautiful sights as you pass by landmark locations like the Medieval Old Town of Gamla Stan, the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, Parliament House and more. Continue along the water and on to the green and lush island of Djugarden. Here you'll visit the Vasa Museum, home to the magnificent warship 'Vasa', one of Sweden’s number one attractions. The 'Vasa' dates back to the 17th century and is the best preserved warship of its time. Leaving the 'Vasa', drive through the modern downtown and business areas before being dropped off in a central location for free time before your coach picks you up for the return drive to Nynashamn.

Dinner: 6:30 Le Bistro

enhance

OUR CABIN

There are a ton of other threads on CC about cabins on the Getaway, so I am going to make this very quick

Selection

The mini-suite with balcony was the highest category stateroom we were able to afford for this vacation. Although inside or oceanview cabins are okay, I do enjoy going out on the balcony. It also helps us out it becomes my second room to go to when the rest of the family is getting dressed.I also enjoy having a balcony to go to for enjoying the sea air at all times –and in (general) privacy. Since we were already spending a bunch of money for this vacation (the air fair is not cheap, without adding in the cruise fare and everything else), having a balcony was just a nice plus.

I chose the starboard (right) side of the ship because our cruise was taking a counter-clockwise route – so the starboard side of the ship would always be facing land. For the port you are taking a gamble on which side is the nicer, but I prefer to face towards land.

Because this was a very port-intensive cruise, and we are all fairly active doing things around the ship (except for when I was sick), the balcony room was large enough to accommodate my family of four – including our DD17, who is adult size. As mentioned, the balcony became a second room for me to hang out in the mornings when all four of us are trying to get ready.

If we have an outside cabin, I generally try to get one as high up as possible. When in port it provides a better initial view of the city/town and its vistas.

Another major factor in the selection of cabins is to see what it above and below the cabin. For this cruise, I was sandwiched in-between two decks of staterooms. You do not want to be underneath anything else – we learned this the hard way when we were below the pool, which was emptied due to the weather, and we heard things clinging and banging all nightlong.

Although you want to be close to an elevator, you do not want to be right next to it –there is too much pedestrian traffic all day/night.

What it Includes

As mentioned, there are a gazillion posts about what is included in a mini-suite cabin on the Getaway, so I'll make this brief (or as brief as I can make it):

If you would like to take a virtual tour of our actual cabin, I found one on YouTube from a former resident: Stateroom # 13834 (Mini Suite (MA)) [

]

Justa few random comments about the cabin:

• There is a key card slot once you enter the room where you need to place a key card for the electricity in the room to be turned on. Note, however, you can use any card that has a magnetic strip – such as an old credit card, or the room card fromthe hotel you stayed at pre-cruise (which is what we did)
  • The shower has a cascading waterfall stream –but be weary, the first time I tried it, one of the streams was eye-level and almost hit me directly in the eye.
  • There are buttons for do not disturb and to make your room. I could not figure out which button to press for what. I left it up to my wife to do.
  • The balcony was the smallest I have ever been onfor a cruise. However, for my purposes, it was fine. I was not throwing any parties, and was able to rest, read, and listen to music – although it could have been larger (TWSS).
  • The angle of the TV is not great for watchingfrom both the bed and the bunks at the same time.
  • The TV selection was horrible, but I guess itusually is. We usually do not watch much TV on cruises, so I never really cared about it. However, when I was sick I wasin the cabin for most of the day, and had the opportunity to notice it. Also,it would be nice if they provided a time table of the movies that would be showing.
  • To listen to the ship’s announcements (in your cabin) you had to have your TV on – so thee were times when an announcement wa sbeginning (you could hear it in the hallway) and we scurried to find the remote to turn the television on.
  • The bathroom in the mini-suite is a very nice size. There is soap at the sink, and soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower. There is a lot of closet room around the sink area. We forgot to bring a door shoe rack, and we did not even need it – there was ample storage space.
  • As noted above, there was ample storage spacefor all of our items in this cabin. Just look closely, there are hidden closets everywhere. All four of our suitcasesalso fit easily under the bed.

If anyone has any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Have you been through Manchester before?

Have you booked the NCL transfer to the ship?

I'm from Manchester and was on the 18th July Getaway cruise so if you need any tips just shout.

Have you been through Manchester before?

Have you booked the NCL transfer to the ship?

I'm from Manchester and was on the 18th July Getaway cruise so if you need any tips just shout.

How nice! We just have a layover in Manchester to change planes-from Virgin Atlantic to SAS. So not much time. We are scheduled to arrive in Copenhagen a day ahead of the cruise, so when we get there, will head to the hotel. I think we will take a cab. I hesitate to lug around the luggage on a train or a bus especially since this is our first time in Denmark. Thank you for the offer!

CROWD CONTROL

This was not a topic originally on my list, but I did not really include it in my discussion on public spaces, and with 4600 passengers on the ship (for our sailing), crowds are an issue that deserves its own post.

When I think back, I can fortunately state that there were only a minuscule number of times over the 10 days where crowds were an issue. However, I think that was due to proper scheduling and doing some research in advance to avoid the crowds.

The times we experienced crowds where it actually had an effect on us:

• First morning departing Russia – Yes, there were crowds, but in this case we were lucky in that our group met at Moderno, and were ready to leave early, and got on line as soon as possible. It probably took us no longer than 35-40 minutes to get from the point on the stairs of the ship where we began waiting to leave, until we were through customs and on the bus. What worked the first day also worked on the second.
  • Welcome Aboard in the Theater – We only arrived about 5-10 minutes early. The theater was crowded at this point, and two adjoining seats were barely available. However, we used that as a learning moment – thereafter, we arrived about 25-30 minutes prior to all shows, and never had to deal with crowd (while getting the pick of our seats). No, this is not what I consider "freestyle," but it is better than dealing with the crowds.
  • Buffet – It was a madhouse in there almost every time we went there – and only dined there when necessary. There was one time between breakfast and lunch where it was not crazy, and after 10 PM the crowds are doable (although there is a limited food selection available). By eating at the other venues, we avoided the crowds there.
  • O’Sheehans: one time – I think we ate there 5 times, and on only one occasion we dined there for lunch. It was busy, but we were seated fairly quickly by sitting in the bar booths. However, this did lead to us having the worst wait staff of the cruise.
  • Boarding: I am not sure if I should include this on the list. Yes, there was a long line, but it moved very quickly, and was not as crowded as I had seen boarding for smaller ships we have been on.
  • Teen (Entourage) Club: I will include the following – My DD17 stated that some evenings the club was crowded and at times reached capacity. When that happened, if she (and her friends) left the club, and someone else came in, they may not be allowed back in until the club went back under its capacity.

One of my biggest concerns about this trip was whether the Getaway would be toocrowded. As mentioned, the number of passengers (about 4600) did not really affect us or impact the enjoyment of our vacation.

Some Tips on How We Avoided the Crowds

• Make reservations for dinner. If you can make reservations, they will have a place for you, with little or no waiting. This goes for both the MDRs and the specialty restaurants.
  • Dine during off hours. Yes, some people do not like to eat too early/late, or they need to have dinner/lunch at a specific time. However, if you go before or later than the busy period, you will not experience the rush.
  • Express breakfast vs. Buffet. If you have an early outing, instead of dealing with the mayhem of the large buffet, go to the Express Breakfast at Moderno. Yes, less variety, but a lot less people.
  • Make reservations for shows. If you go on standby, you will wait, and experience the crowds
  • Get to shows early (25 minutes early). If you get to the shows early you can avoid the crowds and get you pick of seats. Although the theaters will become crowded later on, the only affect is the normal bottlenecking of people at the finish of the show when everyone is leaving. Unfortunately, this also includes shows in the Atrium. [This is also not what I would consider as “freestyle,” but it works.]
  • Avoid the buffet. I found the buffet to be the most crowded place on the ship. There are a number of other food options available on the ship – so we used them when possible.

The one variable that I have not brought into this discussion is the pool and deck areas. Unfortunately the weather for this cruise was not conducive to outdoor activities, so I could not see for myself how this would have played out. With the size of the pool on the Getaway, I can imagine people fighting tooth and claw for every inch of this prime real estate. And there ain’t no way 4600 people, or even half of that amount would be able to worship the sun at the same time. But, I guess that is something I need to research on a future voyage.

Okay gang, only three more topics left to post:

* My thoughts on "Freestyle"

* A comparison with RCI and Carnival

* Disembarking and Coming Home

Thank you so much for this very detailed and addictive review. I do not want it to come to an end. I have picked up so much information from your excellent and very thorough review.

I thought you done this cruise during the summer? We are going September 28th and I am hoping to enjoy some autumnal weather but am now not so sure this will be the case. If you were unable to enjoy any time on upper decks the likelihood of being able to do this late September does not look good. I have looked for typical weather conditions but from what I can see it can do almost anything weather-wise so I suppose go prepared for everything and we will not go wrong.

Once again thank you for all the time you have put into putting this together:)

Thank you so much for this very detailed and addictive review. I do not want it to come to an end. I have picked up so much information from your excellent and very thorough review.

I thought you done this cruise during the summer? We are going September 28th and I am hoping to enjoy some autumnal weather but am now not so sure this will be the case. If you were unable to enjoy any time on upper decks the likelihood of being able to do this late September does not look good. I have looked for typical weather conditions but from what I can see it can do almost anything weather-wise so I suppose go prepared for everything and we will not go wrong.

Once again thank you for all the time you have put into putting this together:)

This thread has been going on for almost two months. I want to make sure I share as much information as possible, and because of family, work, and all of the things I am involved in, I am not able to just sit down and finish it. However, it has allowed me to return to these boards and answer peoples questions. I believe she heads back on October 15th for a TA, leaving from Copenhagen, so people are still doing research for this cruise season (although I hope to be done by then :). On a personal note, I am enjoying re-living the cruise as I write about it - so there is some benefit to me.

When I originally did my research on weather for the Baltics, I saw figures anywhere from 68 to 72 degrees (F) as the average (out itinerary was early July). I figured that if it was the average, then there should be some days in the upper 70s. However, the week we were there was cooler than the norm.

If you talk to any of the locals, or even the tour guides, about the weather, the word "unpredictable" came up quite often. The guide in Tallinn said she keeps an umbrella with her at all times. Even if it looks sunny in the morning, that could change at any time during the day.

Since we were a little on the cool side early in the summer, hopefully that means you will be a little warmer on you journey.

You are correct - hope for good weather, but prepare for the not-as-good. Make sure you dress in layers. [bring a back-pack so you can add/remove layers as needed - and if on paid tours, you can most likely leave the clothing/back pack in the bus.] Have shorts and long pants. My usual excursion outfit was a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and light rain jacket. My DW and DDs dressed mostly as I did, but had heavier rain jackets (and sometimes they would wear long-sleeve shirts). I also wore a baseball cap to keep the rain and sun out of my eyes.

The positive is that there are a lot of benefits to touring a port when it is a little cool than when it is too hot.

Thanks for the enjoyable review. Our first cruise on NCL was aboard the Dream, back when it was a 12-day from Dover. We've been on many terrific cruises with NCL since then, but the Baltic still remains far and away our favorite. Thanks for rekindling fond memories.

Thanks for the enjoyable review. Our first cruise on NCL was aboard the Dream, back when it was a 12-day from Dover. We've been on many terrific cruises with NCL since then, but the Baltic still remains far and away our favorite. Thanks for rekindling fond memories.

Looking at your signature, you have been on some pretty cool itineraries. This was definitely an amazing experience for us - and one that hopefully will stay with my daughters for years to come.

And thank you for your service!

FREESTYLE

Let me preface this post by stating that we really enjoyed our cruise. The below is not a criticism of NCL, but of the way they have branded their onboard experience.

I can only speak from the perspective of my one cruise on NLC, which also happened to be on a port-intensive cruise in the Baltic Sea. My experiences and therefore, my opinions would probably be very different if I had been sailing on a warm Caribbean cruise.

[Over the course of this review I have hit on all of the points I will rehash below, but they have been consolidated into one post.]

In one advertisement for NCL I had heard, I do not remember the tag line, but what I absorbed from it was that you could do what you like, whenever you like it. Another print ad asks is you would want to “Feel like following the sun/stars instead of a schedule?” However, in the reality that is the world of Travel R, if I did not schedule (and sometimes over-schedule) as many of the activities as possible, either I would have missed out on a number of offerings or would have been frustrated by the crowds.

Freestyle Dining

Theconcept of freestyle dining was ingenious when NCL rolled out this concept on May 28, 2000. However, over the last 17 years, the other cruise lines have caught on. For instance on my 2013 trip on RCI, I opted for their My Time dining, where I was able to make reservations for each meal, just like on NCL. That was also a port-intensive cruise, so having the flexibility of changing the time if I am coming back from a shore excursion very late was awesome. On my 2015 cruise on Carnival, since it wasn ot port-intensive, and we were travelling with a number of kids, and another family, the traditional dining option was perfect to meed our needs.

However, in order to make the dining work for us, we had to make our reservations as the bell tolled at 12:00 am on the 90th day prior to departure to ensure that we reserved the venues at the times that would make the most sense for us based upon our late returns from port as well as coordinate it with the reservations for the entertainment options we wanted to see. With 4600 other people vying for the same dining and entertainment venues, it was a necessity (for me) to make thereservations, and as early as possible.

Having to make reservations for so many things did not feel like freestyle to me. For the nights we ate dinner at or before 6:15, there was no wait. However, for later dinners in the heat of the busy period, especially in the specialty restaurants, reservations are needed, or you wait. For my family, after a long day ashore, we really did not want to wait, especially to eat. For shows, even after reserving, you still had to get there early to get a good seat. Once again, this is not very freestyle-like. Yes, you do not have to make reservations, and go on standby, but then your seats may not be that great, may have to sit apart from your group, or you may have to sit on the stairs (which I had observed).

I know that I am in a growing minority on this, but in some ways I do miss traditional dining. Sitting with “strangers” has never been an issue for me, and then by the end of the cruise, they become friends. Some people write about this like it is almost like a prison sentence. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, not only for food (as everyonec ontinuously mentions), but for most other things, like social interactions. For us, there is also the plus of having the same wait staff each night – if they are good, they quickly know your likes and dislikes, or what beverage or type of rolls to bring you asyou enter the venue. Although there are also those that do not care about socializing with their wait staff, I find it enjoyable to know a little bit about them, and they may enjoy what I share about myself. Or sometimes the little things a waiter does when they know you after a few nights is immeasurable. If you hav enever had that type of experience with your wait staff, then you have no idea what I am talking about.

Freestyle Entertainment

Even making reservations did not assure you a seat, or a good one, at that. As mentioned in an earlier post that they messed up with some of our reservations. Also, even when we went tothe box office (for things that could not be booked prior to the cruise), it was too late and a number of the shows had already been booked solid. Once again, not my idea of freestyle.

Although I would agree with many critics that the theater on the Getaway is too small for this many passengers, it is what it is. If you want to take freestyle to heart, you may miss out. If you do your research, and schedule accordingly, you can try to fit in, and see everything you would like. But then isn’t that the same thing on any other cruise ship?

You can follow the stars instead of a schedule, but that might only lead you directly into a closed door or a seat in the back of a packed theater. The advertisements and the brochures make it all seem so wonderful and carefree, but in reality – scratch that – in my reality, in order to make everything so wonderful on this cruise, a lot of pre-scheduling needed to take place. Or at least try to have a schedule in place. As is clear, I am one that believes in making a schedule, but if you have been reading along and looking at the proposed schedule to what had transpired each day, we didnot always follow what was written down.

While my first rule for vacation is that a schedule must be crated, my second hard-and-fast rule is that schedules are made to be broken. In creating a schedule you need to look at all of the options available, so when things begin to go in a different direction, you already have knowledge of these options as a backup.

If we ever go back on the Getaway, it would also make scheduling a lot easier. I would not need to reserve Burn the Floor, Cirque, or the Escape The Big Top, which opens up the times we are available for a lot of other things. I would also go to the Box Office when I first arrive on the ship to make reservations for the options available through their booth. [Note, however, I would see Million Dollar Quartet again.]

Freestyle Dress

Being away from home for so long meant that space in the suitcase was limited. Although I do enjoy dressing up (getting into a suit and tie), packing a full suit just was not a real option for us. The fact that NCL does not have a true formal night made this a perfect option for us for this vacation. [Although there were a few nights where I did wear a button-down and tie with slacks.]

However, on our Carnival cruise two years ago, many did not really adhere to the dress code even when there was an actual formal night. The idea of dressing up, or not, is becoming more of a reality, and IMHO pretty soon all cruise lines will be adhering to something like this. I even wore a t-shirt one evening to the MDR on NCL, which was something I had never, ever, done before oneight cruises (and the world did not come to an end).

That being said, I do miss the “formal nights.” I miss the melted butter, lobster, and melted butter with shrimp on those nights. No, it was not the best lobster in the world, but it was a very enjoyable night. Everyone was dressed up, everyone (at least at my table) seemed to be enjoying themselves, and a little more drink was had on that night of the cruise than on the others. Then they would have the waiters’ parade around with the baked Alaska or some other fancy desserts. It was all fun and enjoyable. Could I do without it, well yes, obviously – but it is one of those little things that transformed a vacation into a cruise experience.

The point being is that NCL is not the only cruise line where you have to adhere to a dress code – the other companies are either allowing this dress code, or not enforcing their own rules.

Summary

So, what it comes down to is this – for me the term “freestyle” does not define my experience with NCL. I had to make a number of reservations before the cruise, and again once on board. Then to assure that I had decent seats I would have to arrive 25 minutes before any given show (including Cirque). For me, this is not what I would call freestyle. Did we still have a great time – yes. However, if I did not spend the time scheduling, I am not sure that we would have had a good a time as we had and would have missed out on a few things.

As I had opened up this thread, we are all on our own journey. In this case, my journey included scheduling, while yours may not.

COMPARISON WITH RCI & CARNIVAL

I could use this space to bash or criticize the various cruise lines, but instead I am going to try to list the things from my past cruise experiences that would make for the perfect cruise ship. Note that I am not going to include our cruise on the Royal Majesty, since that line is now defunct, and we were on it two decades ago - although it would win in the category of food (all categories) and service (especially of the wait staff).

This is only comparing my last three cruises: RCI Legend, Carnival Splendor, and NCL Getaway (the others were too long ago):

Staterooms – RCI

Pool – Tied – slight edge for Legend

Pool Slides – NCL (although I did not get a chance to use them)

Deck Covering – Carnival (this would have been perfect for a Baltic Cruise)

Movie Screen – Carnival (by pool area, underthe closed covering at night when cold)

Outside Activities – NLC (once again, I did not get to use them)

MDR – RCI

Buffet – RCI

Indian foodin Buffet – Carnival

Late Night/24 Hour Food – NCL (O'Sheehans)

Specialty Restaurants - None

Kids Club –NCL & RCI

Teen Club – Tied: RCI & Carnival

Evening Activities – NCL edges of RCI (b/c of Howl at Moon)

Entertainment – Tied NCL & RCI (although Getaway had MDQ, Burn theFloor, and Cirque ($) the non-highlighted entertainment was not very good. In comparison our cruise on the Legend had some great entertainment, including the aerial show and a lot of solid acts non-headliner acts throughout the cruise. Caranival's live entertainment was "okay" at best, but the movies were good.

Public Spaces – RCI – We like the flow of the RCI ships better, including the larger atrium, and the entertainment venues are larger to accommodate the number of passengers on the ship. I would also add that the Legend was a little nicer on its interior decor.

Wait Staff – RCI – We had the same staff each night, and they were very attentive, especially the assistant waiter.

Room Seward – RCI – I could not have asked for a better Seward. One night I had trouble opening a bottle of wine (the cork broke), so we went to dinner without it. When we returned, the cork was removed and two wine glasses were also provided (and that is just one of the little niceties he did during the cruise). This is in comparison to Carnival where we literally never saw our Seward (I do not even know if they were male or female).

Towel Animals – NCL – we had one almost every night (even better than Carnival, which was every other night and even with their towel menagerie by the pool).

Boarding & Disembarking – NCL (although pretty close between all three, I was impressed with how fast we were onboard with that amount of passengers)

Dailies – Tied Carnival & NCL

Atrium – RCI

Fitness Center – RCI – they have more treadmills & bicycles (at the front of the ship) and weight area had more equipment

Summary

When it comes down to it - I would not hesitate to sail on either RCI or NCL for my next cruise. It will come down to the itinerary, time of year, and cost more than which cruise line or ship.

Down to one final post -- coming home. I will try to have it completed in the next day or two. In the mean time, I will continue to check this thread for any questions.

Disembark Ship and the Flight Home (Sun 7/9)

Proposed – Take bus to airport, check in bags, then walk or take short cab ride ($15) to aquarium (1.1 miles away).

1. Breakfast – Whatever breakfast option is available

2. Disembark

3. Go to Airport & Check in bags

4. Visit Aquarium

5. Back to Airport

6. Fly to US (short stopover in Iceland)

7. Car service home

FAREWELL TO THE GETAWAY AND OUR JOURNEY HOME

A good day’s rest and being early abed did little to curb the attack of unknown microscopic invaders upon my body. Luckily it was the day we were least looking forward to – the day we travel home. Our amazing adventure was coming to an end.

[back in the Port of Copenhagen:]

enhance

We opted for self-disembarkment, so there was no need to pack up the night before to have out bags outside the door. There was also no need to sit and wait for our number (color) to be called. We were able to awake slightly late, get dressed, then head down for our last meal aboard the Getaway.

Due to my illness, the entries in my journal for this final day are blank, so my memories are not very vivid. We went to dinner at either Savor or Taste. I do not know what I ate, but I am sure I had tea. We went back to our room, finished packing, then left the ship.

We had intended to take a bus back to the airport, but my wife looked at me and said, let’s just take a taxi. Not that the bus would have been such a hassle, but when you are feeling like I did, it was a good idea.

[A pic of the bus stop from our balcony:]

enhance

We went downstairs, exited the ship very quickly, and got on a line for the taxis. There were a few people on the line, but they moved us along very quickly. There was a line of taxis, and a person at the head of the line asking us how many and to where, then called over a taxi for us. They said the cost would be about 70 dollars (US), but when I received the credit card bill, it only totaled $56. [Note, there were plenty of taxis in line and we did not get out early.]

[A last look at the Getaway:]

enhance