Cruising from New Jersey vs. Florida

We have done this cruise several times (Explorer, Quantum) and have another one booked (Anthem). I'm mainly doing it to reconnect with cruise buddies who typically cruise out of New Jersey. We typically cruise in the early winter and early spring. We have left NJ with the ship covered in snow. (kind of cool for a cruise ship) It does take a few days to get to the islands, but, I don't mind that as a like the sea days. We have been through some bad weather, but generally things are OK.

I am reluctant to do these cruises as often as I once did, just because of the weather. Basically I want to get warm quickly, and if I have to spend a couple days being cold on each end of the cruise I fell like I can do that for free at home. I actually prefer San Juan. Warm right away, every time. Florida has been chilly.

I did enjoy the Quntum we had a SJS and we had access to CK. We have a GS on Anthem...I feel like CK is a great alternative for meals. If you have the option, give it a whirl.

<p><span style="font-size: 16px;">"Not possible to predict the weather conditions that far in advance."</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 16px;">Thanks Bob. I will definitely add the accuweather to my home screen and check it daily. for clear weather! </span></p><p><span style="font-size: 16px;"><br></span></p><p><span style="font-size: 16px;">At CRUISINCK, I think I'm going to duplicate your feelings. I'm so Oasised, Freedomed, Visioned and Sovereigned out. Even with the threat of snowy, cold weather and choppy waters, I am welcoming this cruise with open arms and an open mind.</span></p>

Good morning! I will have the pleasure of sailing this beautiful ship for the first time SOLO:D in December. I was reading all of your comments and I had to chuckle, :') because I'm a Florida girl, flying to Jersey to take a trip to Florida and the Bahamas. :eek: Yes crazy me, I know, but the flight was free and I was looking to do something completely different. My question to you all, I hear the weather is hit or miss there. Does the snow start in December or in the actual winter months? (JFM) Someone, please elaborate on the choppy waters. Will it be for the 1st night or pretty much throughout the cruise? We actually sailed the Enchantment from Miami mid December 20160 and the waters were just fine. I expect the 1st and last day to be cold, but does it warm up by day 2? :o We don't arrive to Florida until day 4. I was hoping that I would at least get to enjoy my balcony on day 2. Any info you'd care to share is truly appreciated.

Since you are flying all the way from Florida, have you considered taking the longer cruise to the Caribbean on 2 December, instead of the Florida cruise?

We are considering giving the Anthem a shot next May or June, but are a bit skeptical of cruising from New Jersey. We always cruise from Florida and figured we would give this a shot. We usually go on Freedom and Oasis class ships and never went on a Quantum Class ship or out of New Jersey. Has anyone else been in the same situation and how did it turn out ship, weather, and cruise wise when sailing in May or June out of NJ vs. on Freedom or Oasis class out of Florida?

Weather in New Jersey as you consider in May or June is nice. Experience Anthem,

Weather in New Jersey as you consider in May or June is nice. Experience Anthem,

I live in New England and cruise out of New Jersey often. I have only hit rough seas once (2014, we sailed around a hurricane). The Anthem is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to go back on December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We fly to Florida for most of our cruises, but we recently left from home on Anthem. In the late spring/early summer it's great. our Canada/NE cruise was beautiful. It was cool out on deck but the solarium was delightful. North Atlantic water is always a bit rougher but I didn't feel much on our June cruise. We're taking Anthem to Bermuda in October so I'll see what that's like, but I doubt I'd want to sail from here in the winter. I hate the cold. That's why I prefer to escape to Florida ports.

As a Floridian,we cruise mostly from FL,but last month,we went to Bermuda,which meant cruising from somewhere else.

We went out of Bayonne and it was FABULOUS......As a former New Yorker,I LOVED seeing the city skyline and the Statue of Liberty. Then going under the Verranzano Bridge.:hearteyes:..I loved it so much,I want to go again.

From Newark to the port is about 15 minutes........easy commute.....we used the cruise line transfer........

@EMTB12

Funny you mention the 12 night cruise. I actually booked that cruise thru next cruise while on the ship last December. I was not able to get the weeks needed to take that cruise, so I switched it to the 9 day Bermuda, Southern Caribbean cruise for my birthday in June 2018. My mom wanted to take her 3 grandsons on a cruse for their 16th bday next year, and I was tasked with finding a ship. I said earlier, we are in need of something different. Because we live in Florida, we take several cruises a year, and none of them are anything like the quantum class. Well, I was able to secure vacation the week before Christmas and I saw this cruise was available, so I made an impulsive decision and booked it for 2 reasons. The 1st was for comparison purposes for the boys' cruise and the 2nd was for 4R for me, meaning to relax, regale, rest, repeat.