Cruising from New Jersey vs. Florida

We are considering giving the Anthem a shot next May or June, but are a bit skeptical of cruising from New Jersey. We always cruise from Florida and figured we would give this a shot. We usually go on Freedom and Oasis class ships and never went on a Quantum Class ship or out of New Jersey. Has anyone else been in the same situation and how did it turn out ship, weather, and cruise wise when sailing in May or June out of NJ vs. on Freedom or Oasis class out of Florida?

Made the mistake of gambling and going out of NJ in March. If we had gone one week earlier it would have been fine. Instead it was in the 30's and it never got really warm. It was our choice but we gambled and lost. The weather put a damper on the whole trip.

I would think May/June would be fine.

Made the mistake of gambling and going out of NJ in March. If we had gone one week earlier it would have been fine. Instead it was in the 30's and it never got really warm. It was our choice but we gambled and lost. The weather put a damper on the whole trip.

I would think May/June would be fine.

We went in March of 2016 and it was perfect! There is so much to do with the beautiful Solarium. We sailed for 12 days to the Southern Caribbean. Definitely do it again! And no air.:D

I've sailed out of both places. NJ was October and March - weather is hit or miss up here. I've also sailed out of NYC in April and you have to deal with the spring rains. I was on Quantum for the March sailing and having all the indoor activities made up for the weather. Indoor pool means no matter what the weather you can get wet on day 1. I was on Explorer for the October sailing and we were in jackets on boarding day and the following day.

Anthem is unlike any other ship out there, so I personally think it's worth it. Where else can you ride bumper cars at sea? LOL Plus, by 2018 I think all the bridge construction will be done and it'll be easier to navigate your way there. It's easy to get in and out of, parking is close by, and watching the boat JUUSSSTTTT make it under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is so much fun. Sailing past NYC...Statue of Liberty in the distance...I think it's something every cruising addict should do at least once.

i've sailed out of both places. Nj was october and march - weather is hit or miss up here. I've also sailed out of nyc in april and you have to deal with the spring rains. I was on quantum for the march sailing and having all the indoor activities made up for the weather. Indoor pool means no matter what the weather you can get wet on day 1. I was on explorer for the october sailing and we were in jackets on boarding day and the following day.

Anthem is unlike any other ship out there, so i personally think it's worth it. Where else can you ride bumper cars at sea? Lol plus, by 2018 i think all the bridge construction will be done and it'll be easier to navigate your way there. It's easy to get in and out of, parking is close by, and watching the boat juussstttt make it under the verrazano narrows bridge is so much fun. Sailing past nyc...statue of liberty in the distance...i think it's something every cruising addict should do at least once.

plus 1 :d

We have sailed anthem twice in may 5 night Bermuda & 9 night Caribbean. Weather not a warm as Florida getting on ship and last day back to NJ. Both times it has been very choppy first and last night compared to leaving from Florida.anthem has great indoor space with a ton of things to do.Bermuda is a great place but ocean temp don't heat up till mid June!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would fly there to take a ship to Bermuda or Canada. I would not fly to NY or NJ to take a cruise to the Bahamas though.

I agree with this, and add the Caribbean, as well.

Now the question becomes more debatable for those of us living within driving distance of Cape Liberty, and deciding whether or not to fly to Florida for a winter cruise, or cruise right from Cape Liberty...pro's and con's to each decision.

Personally, I side with cruising from Cape Liberty, especially on a longer 12 or 14 day itinerary. Love to not have to fly in winter weather conditions. I don't mind the couple of cool or cold days going to or from the tropics, as they give me a chance to unwind from work and enjoy what the ship has to offer before an intensive series of port calls, and then relax for a few days on the way home, afterward...

Other's don't want to contend with sometimes rough seas, or cold weather on their vacation (especially if only a week), and would rather fly to the tropic's to begin their cruise....

We have sailed anthem twice in may 5 night Bermuda & 9 night Caribbean. Weather not a warm as Florida getting on ship and last day back to NJ. Both times it has been very choppy first and last night compared to leaving from Florida.anthem has great indoor space with a ton of things to do.Bermuda is a great place but ocean temp don't heat up till mid June!

I'm 90 minutes from Baltimore but still haven't cruised from there.

Did 2 cruises from NY and one from Philly back in the day. Water always rough either coming or going.

I'd rather fly to Florida and be in the Caribbean Sea instead of the Atlantic Ocean.

YMMV

Bill

We had always sailed from Florida in January, loved the fact that we had warm temps from the very start of the cruise:) With that said,we hated driving from N.J., flying was not an option,I have too much luggage:rolleyes:We now cruise on the Anthem(#3 in Jan'18)and love the short ride to the port,I can take as many bags as I want,the Ship is great and the price for 12 nights comes to less than 10 on say the Freedom out of Port Canaveral because no extra cost of pre-night stay plus travel expenses.

I agree with sailing from NJ when sailing to NE/Canada ports and Bermuda. As for the Caribbean ports that run during the winter, you just have to have a mind set that day 1 and the last day will be cold. That was a bit of an adjustment for me. We sailed on a Carnival ship in February and it was really cold. At least Anthem has the solarium pool and indoor pool areas, this carnival ship didn't.

Also, keep in mind the snow weather. We sailed out of Baltimore the day after a foot and half blizzard. Not fun and very nervous as to whether we would make it to the port. I have decided I will not sail out of Baltimore or NJ/NY between December and February LOL

Good morning! I will have the pleasure of sailing this beautiful ship for the first time SOLO:D in December. I was reading all of your comments and I had to chuckle, :') because I'm a Florida girl, flying to Jersey to take a trip to Florida and the Bahamas. :eek: Yes crazy me, I know, but the flight was free and I was looking to do something completely different. My question to you all, I hear the weather is hit or miss there. Does the snow start in December or in the actual winter months? (JFM) Someone, please elaborate on the choppy waters. Will it be for the 1st night or pretty much throughout the cruise? We actually sailed the Enchantment from Miami mid December 20160 and the waters were just fine. I expect the 1st and last day to be cold, but does it warm up by day 2? :o We don't arrive to Florida until day 4. I was hoping that I would at least get to enjoy my balcony on day 2. Any info you'd care to share is truly appreciated.

... Someone, please elaborate on the choppy waters. Will it be for the 1st night or pretty much throughout the cruise? ...

Not possible to predict the weather conditions that far in advance.

I think if you sail out of NJ it's for the cruise ship and/or convenience (if you live driving distance). If you had to fly either way, I'd choose out of Florida/South.

With that being said, I curise out of NJ/NYC in March as it saves me a flight (extra cost) that I can reallocate to the cruise...just happy to vacation!

I agree with sailing from NJ when sailing to NE/Canada ports and Bermuda. . . .

I have decided I will not sail out of Baltimore or NJ/NY between December and February LOL

We have also decided not to sail from Baltimore or N J during the winter months. The first 1.5 days and last day are always cold. Even March is pretty chilly. the water temp takes longer to heat up. this makes for VERY cold winds on the pool deck.

. . . and we frequently run into a nor'easter [or high waves] off the coast of Cape Hatteras NC.

I think if you sail out of NJ it's for the cruise ship and/or convenience (if you live driving distance). If you had to fly either way, I'd choose out of Florida/South.

I agree with this. :D

We are considering giving the Anthem a shot next May or June, but are a bit skeptical of cruising from New Jersey. We always cruise from Florida and figured we would give this a shot. We usually go on Freedom and Oasis class ships and never went on a Quantum Class ship or out of New Jersey. Has anyone else been in the same situation and how did it turn out ship, weather, and cruise wise when sailing in May or June out of NJ vs. on Freedom or Oasis class out of Florida?

We just cruised on Anthem in May for 9 days to Bermuda and the Caribbean. We live 15 minutes from Port Everglades and can be at any Florida port within 3 hours. With that being said I wanted to do Anthem and Bermuda.

We loved Anthem and really enjoyed our trip. We thought we would be a one and done on Anthem but I am now looking at a New England/Canada cruise on Anthem.

Anthem is completely different then Freedom and Oasis class and is definitely designed to be a cold weather ship.

I'm wondering the same. Hubby says no way to nj port. And I'm like why not. We've sailed twice out of fll on oasis class and I want to try the anthem. I don't care if some is indoors because we travel in June and Its hot and humid outside as well . I'd love to do the southern itinerary. So following along. As to pro/cons or if any. And differences in ship