gluten free desserts

Barbara H

Hi all, I've been enjoying reading about all the positive experiences on Princess. We've cruised with them in the past, but it's been a few years. I know that we can choose gluten free options the night before, which is wonderful. I was wondering about the possible options for gluten free desserts. My son and I have a sweet tooth, and wondered if the gluten free options are more the ice-cream, creme brûlée type, or if there are cake or pastry type options. I know taste is subjective, but if you've had some, how did you like them? Thanks so much.

Hi all, I've been enjoying reading about all the positive experiences on Princess. We've cruised with them in the past, but it's been a few years. I know that we can choose gluten free options the night before, which is wonderful. I was wondering about the possible options for gluten free desserts. My son and I have a sweet tooth, and wondered if the gluten free options are more the ice-cream, creme brûlée type, or if there are cake or pastry type options. I know taste is subjective, but if you've had some, how did you like them? Thanks so much.

They do have puddings and pies that I've seen.

I've tasted some of them & didn't much care for anything except the tapioca pudding which was tolerable at best.

I LOVE the gluten. Save yours for me. :D

Our daughter has to be gluten free. Yes, there was at least one cake type dessert each day. Creme Brûlée of course. Each day the head waiter went over the next day's menu so she could pre-select food.

My sister has celiacs. OP, do you and your son both have it? Otherwise, there is no good reason to be concerned about gluten in your diet, and you will gain weight on a gluten free diet.

Oh man, everyone's coming down with Celiac's as of late. lol.

Meanee I think you are living up to your name. Maybe those of us who have been diagnosed (by professionals - think gastroenterologist) are just happy to be able to go somewhere and eat something. You think most people would be gluten free if they had a choice? Gluten free food is CRAP! Those pinheads who think it's a funny little weight loss fad have ruined it for the people with the real problem. And people like you with your attitude don't help. Do you know how much I hate having to explain why I can't have what everyone else is having? It's embarrassing! I was diagnosed at 50 years old after a lifetime of stomach problems. I hope it happens to you so you know how it feels.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, we are both celiac, so not eating gluten free is not an option. We were diagnosed 16 years ago, so knowledge, taste, and availability have gotten better.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Cruise lines have gotten much better at having menus for diabetics and celiacs. You should find plenty of options.

Meanee I think you are living up to your name. Maybe those of us who have been diagnosed (by professionals - think gastroenterologist) are just happy to be able to go somewhere and eat something. You think most people would be gluten free if they had a choice? Gluten free food is CRAP! Those pinheads who think it's a funny little weight loss fad have ruined it for the people with the real problem. And people like you with your attitude don't help. Do you know how much I hate having to explain why I can't have what everyone else is having? It's embarrassing! I was diagnosed at 50 years old after a lifetime of stomach problems. I hope it happens to you so you know how it feels.

Vast majority of people following gluten-free diet have zero reason to do so. It's a stupid (but useful) fad. Suddenly, bunch of hipsters decided that gluten is a deadly poison and joined misinformed "Organic or bust" and "GMOs are poison!" crowd with "Gluten is deadly!" assumption. I used to work in a hospitality industry in NYC, the hotbed of this crap. Want a decent gluten-free meal? Head to hipster-infested neighborhood. You can get a table in completely GF restaurant, where not a single person has Celiac's. One of my former clients, who owns GF restaurant, was trying to convince me that gluten is not natural, and is a guaranteed way to get cancer. I poked fun at him, saying that gluten was probably invented by Monsanto, and he thought that it's a claim worth researching further...

Now, I am well-aware about Celiac's, and how horrible it can be. This fad is great for people who suffer from the disease, because it made more GF food available, and made it taste more appealing than wet cardboard.

I do have to commend you on a fine job of making assumptions that I know nothing about the disease, how bad the food can be and so on. Oh, and wishing that I end up with a disease. I happen to be a bit more informed than you believe. But hey assumptions are fun, right?

You are right. There are tons of misinformed people. They are the ones who follow GF diet for no valid medical reason.

My husband was healthy and fit 8 years ago. In four months time, he lost 30 pounds, had huge digestion issues and was exhausted. Numerous tests came back negative. While on vacation in the Rivera Maya, he collapsed and was admitted to the hospital with total kidney failure. They filled him up with fluids for five days to stabilize him enough to fly home. He was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease. Two days without wheat and he was almost completely fine. I am tired of self appointed dietary "experts" who claim to know what other people's diets should be. I have known many people who are not diagnosed with Celiac who have embraced the diet because it makes them feel better. Smug, superior attitudes regarding folks food choices are not helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums