St Maarten Airport Watching Tragedy

evandbob

So much more fun thinking of the Security guard with the German Shepherd and when someone approaches the fence the crowd jeering "Release the Hound!"

Naah. I'm thinking a moat with sharks. With frickin laser beams on their heads like Austin Powers. It won't kill them though, just stun 'em.

af9b6c70fb88bf4e93468338b77a20a6.jpg

I believe it has to do with whatever way the wind is blowing for maximum lift. They wouldn't put hundreds of passenger's lives on the line constantly everyday due to people blatantly ignoring all the things currently in place to keep everyone safe.

Precisely. And there are far simpler ways to increase the safety of the situation.

How's that for a positive solution that doesn't involve draconian rules being placed on the public?
I'm sure that some would still beat their chests claiming that it is an imposition on the public. It would be an excellent idea though. You see these kinds of barriers at airports all across the United States.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Besides shutting the whole beach down.

A suggestion you'll note that I never typed. See how easy it is for partisans to trick people into thinking that their opponents suggested things that they did not suggest?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A suggestion you'll note that I never typed. See how easy it is for partisans to trick people into thinking that their opponents suggested things that they did not suggest?

Sure sounds that way to me. If not, maybe you should have clarified when making the statements originally. True, later on you may have switched slightly to be open to "additional safety measures", but the reason you called me "rabid" was due to my opposition of closing the beach - NOT fixing something that is truly a clear and present danger to the general public which this beach is not. In fact, I said that I have actually visited the beach and know firsthand of what safety measures are already there and if I thought they were inadequate or people were constantly getting hurt, then I would be 100% onboard with making changes.

As has been previously posted, the beach has a perfect safety record for those that heed the multiple layers of protection that are already in place. But continue to argue if you must. Reasonable people also admit when they are wrong and quit picking fights without facts.

I'm having problems trying to do multi quotes but I will keep trying. Posts 37, 40, and 46 are of particular interest.

Post 37:

I hope that does happen. Somewhere along the way a major error was made, whether it was placement of the airport or placement of the runway or simply the decision to develop that aspect of the island economy in that way. It should be a reasonable assumption that if it is allowed that it is reasonably safe. As it is, posting signs is a simply inadequate safety measure. People shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. With 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

Post 40:

I understand completely. I still believe that people shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. We don't have to agree about that.

Perhaps, but with 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

Post 46:

I haven't been to that specific beach but I know that there are other beaches on St. Maarten from personal experience. All anyone needs to know about the danger is contained within your own first-hand description. You have chosen a perspective of callousness toward the consequences that others may suffer from the danger as you, yourself, described it. Others will choose to see your own description of the danger differently from how you see it.

You're a fan of the beach. You are biased in favor of keeping it open. You haven't displayed any willingness to accept that others can have reasonable perspectives about it without being a rabid fan like you. I have a bit of advice: Next time something changes that you find to be an incomprehensible change, please consider that it may be because you are not adequately making room in your consideration for perspectives opposed to your own. Claiming that only fans of the beach, like you, can have a perspectives on the danger is just a nonsensical attempt to brow beat away opposing perspectives, which will leave you without any means of understanding half of what causes things to change around you.

Stop presenting your wild ass guesses about what I have "ignored" as if you have the slightest idea what I have and haven't factored in. You don't. Who the heck do you think you are, implying you know what I'm thinking beyond what I have explicitly written?

Reasonable people disagree with each other. Why are you so abusively incapable of respectfully granting that? And let's stop this idiotic nonsense you're trying to peddle, that my saying that reasonable people disagree with each other is me saying that other perspectives are unreasonable. If you are going to directly lie about what I'm writing in your responses to my comments, then why even post?

It is time to stop with the nonsense. Accept that reasonable people disagree with each other. Just because you don't like the idea of there being action taken to address this most recent tragedy doesn't mean that the opposing perspective is any less valid. Show the kind of respect for opposing perspectives that you want afforded to your perspective in return.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You expect respect for your opposing views, yet you are being very disrespectful to those of us with an opposing view. You respond to me and use phrases like "abusively incapable of" and "idiotic nonsense you're trying to peddle," and then you expect me to respect your views? Where I come from, respect is earned, not given. And you don't earn someone's respect by trying to belittle their intelligence.

Oy vey, enough of the "reasonable people" nonsense. When you repeatedly tell everyone that you are the reasonable one, you are most certainly implying that anyone who disagrees is unreasonable. If that isn't your intention, you're doing a terrible job at it.

When did I say I didn't like the idea of there being action taken to address this tragedy? I said you can't place guards everywhere there's danger. I said people have to police themselves. I never said there's nothing that can be done to address the danger. I'm not sure what can be done, but shutting it down is an extreme I don't think is necessary at this time, in my opinion. Funny, you accused me of lying about something you did, or didn't do, then go on to put words in my mouth about something I didn't say. That's awful unreasonable of you. ;)

Consider a small pebble (or larger rock) that happens to be sitting on the road (or nearby). The jet exhaust catches that item (in the air force we called it "FOD") and accelerates it at a very high rate of speed (like a bullet).
Breaking red for the morning FOD walk. ;):D

Mythbusters once tested the force of a 747 (but it could just as easily be a smaller commercial aircraft when people are substituted). They placed a car, a large 4-door sedan, 100 ft. back from the aircraft and towed it into the path of the jet wash. It easily launched the car in the air, rolled it over several times, and dumped it far from where it began. Then they did it using a school bus with nearly the exact same results.

I say give the people the ride they paid for and go ahead and install the whole package. Catapults!
That's pretty much the affect the jet wash has. LOL Edited by Organized Chaos

Are these not your suggestions to close the beach?

A death on the beach now, I'm afraid that people will get blocked from going on the sand. Especially if lawsuits happen.clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

I hope that does happen. Somewhere along the way a major error was made, whether it was placement of the airport or placement of the runway or simply the decision to develop that aspect of the island economy in that way. It should be a reasonable assumption that if it is allowed that it is reasonably safe. As it is, posting signs is a simply inadequate safety measure. People shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. With 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.
Perhaps, but with 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

I was talking about the pic that Thorncroft posted of the aircraft carrier. The catapults are meant for the planes taking off to go along with the jet blast deflector :D.
Yeah, I know what the catapults do. I thought you were joking that the catapults could be for the fence riders...to help them along. LMAO

You expect respect for your opposing views, yet you are being very disrespectful to those of us with an opposing view.
No, I'm not. That's the point. I've been far more courteous. And that's despite the disrespect directed at me. By refusing to grant that reasonable people can disagree with each other, you've made clear that the only definition of respect you're willing to accept is capitulation to your perspective. That's offensive.

Are these not your suggestions to close the beach?
Where in that post did I say that the whole beach needed to be closed? Where in that post did I say that that was the only possible resolution. You posted a knee jerk reaction to what you saw, without actually reading it for understanding, without demonstrating any interest in actually coming to know what I was saying. When you started in with that bit of disrespect, you set the tone for our interchange. You. And you continue to roll with your original belligerently wrong interpretation of my comments despite the myriad posts I've made since that would, if you would allow them to shape your understanding of what I've been saying, would show clearly that your disrespect led you to misconstrue what I wrote. I give you more credit than to think you did it out of ignorance. It seems that you saw the opportunity to be part of an attack mob of similarly minded people. If you have another explanation for why you failed to factor in all I wrote in your development of your understanding of my perspective, I'm all ears.

As it is now, I'm sick and tired of sitting back courteously why you and others piled on more and more disrespect in a vapid aim to defend this beach you love so much. Have the last word. I'm done with y'all for now. I doubt anyone other than rabid partisans are left reading this thread at this point.

Edited by bUU

No, I'm not. That's the point. I've been far more courteous. And that's despite the disrespect directed at me. By refusing to grant that reasonable people can disagree with each other, you've made clear that the only definition of respect you're willing to accept is capitulation to your perspective. That's offensive.

Where in that post did I say that the whole beach needed to be closed? Where in that post did I say that that was the only possible resolution. You posted a knee jerk reaction to what you saw, without actually reading it for understanding, without demonstrating any interest in actually coming to know what I was saying. When you started in with that bit of disrespect, you set the tone for our interchange. You. And you continue to roll with your original belligerently wrong interpretation of my comments despite the myriad posts I've made since that would, if you would allow them to shape your understanding of what I've been saying, would show clearly that your disrespect led you to misconstrue what I wrote. I give you more credit than to think you did it out of ignorance. It seems that you saw the opportunity to be part of an attack mob of similarly minded people. If you have another explanation for why you failed to factor in all I wrote in your development of your understanding of my perspective, I'm all ears.

As it is now, I'm sick and tired of sitting back courteously why you and others piled on more and more disrespect in a vapid aim to defend this beach you love so much. Have the last word. I'm done with y'all for now. I doubt anyone other than rabid partisans are left reading this thread at this point.

Has anyone ever told you that you are an expert at deflection and redirection? Disrespecting and insulting others, all while trying to convince everyone else you're the victim. Do you think that just because you hide it behind a thesaurus, no one will notice?

bUU, what do you propose the government of St Maarten should do to encourage tourists to use one of the other 36 beaches instead of Maho?

There are a few resorts right next to Maho beach and two Beach bars that serve the customers of this beach so completely closing it would create an interesting conversation I would think.

There are a few resorts right next to Maho beach and two Beach bars that serve the customers of this beach so completely closing it would create an interesting conversation I would think.

So can the majority of the people agree that discussion of closing the beach DID come into play in the earlier posts of this thread as evidenced by the ones I quoted? I agree that later on it switched tone, but I am specifically talking about the 3 I highlighted (37,40, and 46).

Edited by firemanbobswife

So can the majority of the people agree that discussion of closing the beach DID come into play in the earlier posts of this thread as evidenced by the ones I quoted? I agree that later on it switched tone, but I am specifically talking about the 3 I highlighted 37,40, and 46).

I haven't gone back to re-read (are you kidding me?) but I could swear that closing the beach was floated by boo, based on the premise that there's 36 other beaches on the island. Now, most people will realize that Maho Beach is the face of the island. Many people won't even have a clue what else is on the island, but they know about Maho. The island govt is not likely to kill their golden goose. If anything at all is done, I would guess that it will be on the airport grounds and not the public beach or road.

I haven't gone back to re-read (are you kidding me?) but I could swear that closing the beach was floated by boo, based on the premise that there's 36 other beaches on the island. Now, most people will realize that Maho Beach is the face of the island. Many people won't even have a clue what else is on the island, but they know about Maho. The island govt is not likely to kill their golden goose. If anything at all is done, I would guess that it will be on the airport grounds and not the public beach or road.

It was. Go to posts 108,109,113 and see what you think. The 3 posts that mentioned it were quoted in those posts. That way you don't have to scroll as far back [emoji4].