St Maarten Airport Watching Tragedy

evandbob

What's AOL?

This is going to veer off topic, but I will never forget them.

"You've got mail!"

Steve Case

the modem screech

the acquisition of Time Warner

dozens of floppies and CDs

Back on topic, I'll say I'm sorry and quote someone who said something I agree with:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

just sitting on the beach is close enough, BTW the Sunset Bar just got completely renovated. They have a chalkboard listing all the landing for the day.

Thät was there eons ago. The renovations look great .

This is very sad, but stupid is, as stupid does. I've been to Maho beach 3 times. Never got closer than the bar. My mama didn't raise a fool.

I have seen the people get "blasted" with the sand, and I know that HURTS.

Never saw anyone get knocked down.

A death on the beach now, I'm afraid that people will get blocked from going on the sand. Especially if lawsuits happen.:(

Been there, done that and got a nice exfoliation from the blast while on the beach. I think the pilots enjoy it too. Gotta love when they open the window and give the people standing there the "thumbs up". Have a video I took while ducked down with my camera sticking up. Love Maho Beach and can't wait to go back again.

Been there, done that and got a nice exfoliation from the blast while on the beach. I think the pilots enjoy it too. Gotta love when they open the window and give the people standing there the "thumbs up". Have a video I took while ducked down with my camera sticking up. Love Maho Beach and can't wait to go back again.

We want to see that video :D

A death on the beach now, I'm afraid that people will get blocked from going on the sand.
I hope that does happen. Somewhere along the way a major error was made, whether it was placement of the airport or placement of the runway or simply the decision to develop that aspect of the island economy in that way. It should be a reasonable assumption that if it is allowed that it is reasonably safe. As it is, posting signs is a simply inadequate safety measure. People shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. With 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

I hope that does happen. Somewhere along the way a major error was made, whether it was placement of the airport or placement of the runway or simply the decision to develop that aspect of the island economy in that way. It should be a reasonable assumption that if it is allowed that it is reasonably safe. As it is, posting signs is a simply inadequate safety measure. People shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. With 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

Have you ever been to Maho Beach? Going there is voluntary. You know exactly what you are "getting into" so to speak when you go. I would venture to say hundreds of thousands of people go there every year without incident. If you choose to hang on to the fence blatantly ignoring all the signs, then you do so at your own risk. I hope they don't close the beach due to people not following the rules. Yep. More rule breakers trying to get it ruined for everyone.

Going there is voluntary.
I understand completely. I still believe that people shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. We don't have to agree about that.

More rule breakers trying to get it ruined for everyone.
Perhaps, but with 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

I understand completely. I still believe that people shouldn't be allowed where the operation of the airport could seriously endanger them. We don't have to agree about that.

Perhaps, but with 37 beaches on the island, there's truly no need for people to be on this one.

Sure there is. It's awesome to be able to see the planes fly right over you while you are in the water and to see the belly that close up. Plus it's a nice beach. Makes it unique. Don't like it, don't go. I won't go to any other beach on the island because they're just like all the others in the Caribbean. If you have ever been there, then you would know what I'm taking about.

In fact I booked my 2019 Edge cruise partly due to the fact that it goes to St Maarten and I can't wait to go back.

It IS reasonably safe. Two people have died in like the last six years, in totally freak accidents, out of how many tens of thousands that visit each year? If you don't want to ride the fence, don't go. It's good to see that not every nation feels compelled to be a nanny state.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It IS reasonably safe. Two people have died in like the last six years, in totally freak accidents, out of how many tens of thousands that visit each year? If you don't want to ride the fence, don't go. It's good to see that not every nation feels compelled to be a nanny state. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Exactly. Thank you. Anyone who has ever been there would know that it's not a constant barrage of jet blast that sends everyone airborne. You have plenty of warning to get out of the way and unless you're up against the fence with your fingers clenched hanging on, the most you're gonna get is some sand and wind if you're on the beach. Oh and hang on to your towels [emoji4]. It's not O'Hare International for Pete's sake and they have mostly smaller prop planes with a few of the big jets mixed in.

Also it's only on takeoff when you can ride the fence. Landings aren't anything except cool to look up and feel like you could touch the belly of the plane. My boys and I loved it.

To get an idea of how "busy" it is check out this site:http://www.stmartinisland.org/st-martin-st-maarten-travel-information/st-martin-by-plane/160-horaires-des-vols-a-larrivee-et-au-depart-de-sint-maarten.html

Not worth closing a whole beach over. I also saw where she was standing by the fence taking pictures and not hanging on. That's her fatal error right there.

Sure there is.
We don't have to agree about that.

It IS reasonably safe.
That is an open question. Reasonable people disagree. Please do get comfortable with disagreement about this.

It is clear that the authorities will be weighing the opposing perspectives (represented by yours on one side and mine on the other), respecting both, and making a determination what to do in response based on their appraisal of the merits on both sides.

We don't have to agree about that.

That is an open question. Reasonable people disagree. Please do get comfortable with disagreement about this.

It is clear that the authorities will be weighing the opposing perspectives (represented by yours on one side and mine on the other), respecting both, and making a determination what to do in response based on their appraisal of the merits on both sides.

I'll ask again. Have you ever been there? I'm guessing not because of you had, you could understand more of where we are coming from. It's kind of like trying to give advice on a cruise line you have never sailed.

I haven't been to that specific beach but I know that there are other beaches on St. Maarten from personal experience. All anyone needs to know about the danger is contained within your own first-hand description. You have chosen a perspective of callousness toward the consequences that others may suffer from the danger as you, yourself, described it. Others will choose to see your own description of the danger differently from how you see it.

You're a fan of the beach. You are biased in favor of keeping it open. You haven't displayed any willingness to accept that others can have reasonable perspectives about it without being a rabid fan like you. I have a bit of advice: Next time something changes that you find to be an incomprehensible change, please consider that it may be because you are not adequately making room in your consideration for perspectives opposed to your own. Claiming that only fans of the beach, like you, can have a perspectives on the danger is just a nonsensical attempt to brow beat away opposing perspectives, which will leave you without any means of understanding half of what causes things to change around you.

Myself, 88 year old Grandmom and three kids 8-11 were there last year for the day. What made the day fascinating was watching the ignorant people getting blown away by the jets. And by ignorant, I mean truly uninformed or oblivious. Our kids were in the water and it was fun to see the planes land over your head. But by no means was any of us going to stand behind two large jet engines and attempt to hold on to a fence. We saw people get knocked over, lose their articles of clothing, etc. Somehow, our spidey senses took over and we immediately realized the potential danger. Did many people go unharmed...definitely. If I was a teenager or 20-30 something would I try it...most likely. Like anything in life its a risk/benefit and for us it wasn't worth it.

It was a crazy experience to watch.

It was a crazy experience to watch.
And that's the real danger. The spectacle, itself. With so many other beaches, St. Maarten doesn't need to be tacitly condoning this activity by taking inadequate measures to preclude it.

It's a matter for the local government to decide. Just don't be surprised if they decide to be conservative, as I suggest, rather than take no action as others in this thread have suggested.

LOL....here come the hand holders who think it is their duty to control what other people can do.
I would rather have a mature and respectful sharing of opposing perspectives rather than engaging in childish name-calling. Is that okay with you?

I

You're a fan of the beach. You are biased in favor of keeping it open. You haven't displayed any willingness to accept that others can have reasonable perspectives about it without being a rabid fan like you. I have a bit of advice: Next time something changes that you find to be an incomprehensible change, please consider that it may be because you are not adequately making room in your consideration for perspectives opposed to your own. Claiming that only fans of the beach, like you, can have a perspectives on the danger is just a nonsensical attempt to brow beat away opposing perspectives, which will leave you without any means of understanding half of what causes things to change around you.

Yet, you're unwilling to entertain any opposing opinions yourself.;p