Maho Incident, yes it is a tragedy

gtaylor

Sorry but I don't call this a tragedy. It was someone foolishly placing themselves in harms way and paying the ultimate price.

Having said that it is a shame that it happened and everyone should heed the warnings posted in the area to avoid the jets. If you think about it, two of those engines provide enough thrust to lift those planes into the air, what do you think they will do to a human that weighs less than a tire on one of the planes. Be smart people!

Parents, keep in mind that your children have no business going to this area, in the US it would be tantamount to child endangerment.

This would have been a horrible incident to witness and I think that it's a tradgedy that people enjoying a beach day had to witness this.

People liken it to bungee jumping or parasailing. To me it's more like street racing. There is no informed consent here or trained staff or safety measures. There is however, a very large sign warning you of the danger and telling you to not do it.

Very sad. There are lots of signs posted though, so I can't see how this could have happened without gross negligence on the deceased's part. It wasn't deserved, but it was perhaps expected.

I am going to Maho Beach in three weeks and it has always been on my 'bucket list' to see the planes. I am anxious to go and see the planes. However, there are Danger signs posted warning of what could happen and people choose to do what they do. While it was an accident, it was one that could have been avoided. It wasn't like the was passing by and it happened. She was there to feel the just blast. While I want to see it in person, I have no desire to put myself in harms way by standing right in front of the runway to feel the jet's blast like that. I am excited about standing on the beach though and watching the planes come in.