General Airfare question, aplogies if it's in the wrong place

baronessk

Hi, in addition to cruises, which I usually book 6-8 months prior, I also take a land based trip to Europe. I am wondering what exactly cruisers do regarding airfare, when you book cruises 18-24 months ahead. I am finding most airfares are showing only 12 months out. Do you just roll the dice and if you cannot find an affordable airfare, cancel the cruise?

I'm not sure why airline only seem to allow you to book a flight 12 months out. Thanks for your input and I apologize if this is off topic or in the wrong forum, but I usually only cruise with Princess. TIA.

Airlines usually post prices about 330 days out. We book our cruise and then wait. At the right time we check air with the cruiseline and also with each airline to find the best deal. We've only had to cancel a cruise once, due to the airfare being exorbitant. Princess air usually provides fares to Europe at a very competitive price and sometimes much less expensive than the airline and most often at a Flexible Rate.

Hi, in addition to cruises, which I usually book 6-8 months prior, I also take a land based trip to Europe. I am wondering what exactly cruisers do regarding airfare, when you book cruises 18-24 months ahead. I am finding most airfares are showing only 12 months out. Do you just roll the dice and if you cannot find an affordable airfare, cancel the cruise?

I'm not sure why airline only seem to allow you to book a flight 12 months out. Thanks for your input and I apologize if this is off topic or in the wrong forum, but I usually only cruise with Princess. TIA.

Airlines don't let you book that far out because they often change the schedule and the aircraft they use. (they might still change it after you book your air too)

As far as booking in advance of the air being available, yes I often do. If affordable air did not become available I would cancel. Never had to yet. Also I have often waited for better airfare even when airfare was available when I booked the cruise.

Airlines usually post prices about 330 days out. We book our cruise and then wait. At the right time we check air with the cruiseline and also with each airline to find the best deal. We've only had to cancel a cruise once, due to the airfare being exorbitant. Princess air usually provides fares to Europe at a very competitive price and sometimes much less expensive than the airline and most often at a Flexible Rate.

Definitely they should look into Princess Air. On my upcoming cruise I had the flexible air and it was the least expensive air I was finding. Close to final payment I found an better option using points so I was able to cancel the Princess Air with no penalty since it was the flexible option.

We have a benchmark air fare when we decide on a cruise. Higher price will not be the basis for cruise cancellation. With regular checking of plane fares across the board after booking the cruise, we usually get good rates around 8-10 months far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never let airfare prices dictate whether I'll do a Europe cruise or not. I'm okay with that. I just monitor a few sites for months before bookings actually open up. I find the lowest price for same basic flights I want and use that as a goal. Once my dates open up for booking, I try to get the best price possible. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Either way, I go. ;)

Definitely they should look into Princess Air. On my upcoming cruise I had the flexible air and it was the least expensive air I was finding. Close to final payment I found an better option using points so I was able to cancel the Princess Air with no penalty since it was the flexible option.

I agree with Charles. Definitely look into EZ Air. If you choose a refundable fare, you don't have to pay until final payment time. You've locked in a rate when you choose the flights. If the price goes down, they'll adjust the price on your airfare. It's a win-win situation. Plus, they guarantee to get you to the ship so that's less insurance I need to buy to cover the flights.