Carnival Sensation vs RCCL Adventure of the Seas

Kelli0927

Have a limited time frame for a cruise in February due to son having a few days off school. For those who have sailed these ships, do you have a preference on which is better? We have only cruised once on RCCL Brilliance so don't have a lot of experience. Either itinerary would work for us. Thanks!!

You don't mention if there's a price differential that matters to you but if it were me (and the price difference was small), I would go with RCI this time. Adventure is newer, larger and will likely have a bit more that your son might enjoy. We've been on the Fantasy class ships and they're OK but as far as simple comparisons go, Adventure I think would be a better choice. :)

Have a limited time frame for a cruise in February due to son having a few days off school. For those who have sailed these ships, do you have a preference on which is better? We have only cruised once on RCCL Brilliance so don't have a lot of experience. Either itinerary would work for us. Thanks!!

I was curious as to Adventure's itinerary in February 2018 so I looked and it was really confusing until I found that it will be in dry dock for upgrades and maintenance in January (finishing on Feb. 10th), with essentially a 5 day reposition cruise from Miami to San Juan on February 12th. Is that the one you were looking at or one of the subsequent 7 day sailings from SJ?

I was curious as to Adventure's itinerary in February 2018 so I looked and it was really confusing until I found that it will be in dry dock for upgrades and maintenance in January (finishing on Feb. 10th), with essentially a 5 day reposition cruise from Miami to San Juan on February 12th. Is that the one you were looking at or one of the subsequent 7 day sailings from SJ?

We would be doing the Cruise from Miami to San Juan. I checked out Southwest flights and they are pretty reasonable, so cost wouldn't really be a factor.

We would be doing the Cruise from Miami to San Juan. I checked out Southwest flights and they are pretty reasonable, so cost wouldn't really be a factor.

Thanks for verifying. It's weird that the schedules still show the late January/early February Adventure sailings with a 5-day Miami to SJ that doesn't fit with the rest of the schedule. I guess the cancelled cruises haven't been pulled from the web site yet.

Edit: I know some people are wary of those first cruises following a dry dock (we are among them), I trust it's not an issue for you.

Thanks for verifying. It's weird that the schedules still show the late January/early February Adventure sailings with a 5-day Miami to SJ that doesn't fit with the rest of the schedule. I guess the cancelled cruises haven't been pulled from the web site yet.

Edit: I know some people are wary of those first cruises following a dry dock (we are among them), I trust it's not an issue for you.

We travel a lot, but are not avid cruisers (only been on one actually). What are some of the reasons people are wary after dry dock? We haven't committed to cruising just yet. All-inclusives in Punta Cana or Disney World are also contenders at this time.

We travel a lot, but are not avid cruisers (only been on one actually). What are some of the reasons people are wary after dry dock? We haven't committed to cruising just yet. All-inclusives in Punta Cana or Disney World are also contenders at this time.

1. They run in to bigger issues during refurbishment and cancel the first sailing after dry dock.

2. All the work is not competed and you may encounter some areas still closed off.

3. Sometimes a large chunk of the staff is just joining the ship and they haven't gotten in a "routine" yet.

Don't think any of these are worth not booking a post dry dock cruise. Just stuff to keep in mind. Even if they cancel, you will most likely get a refund plus 50% off a future sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think jetexpress covered most of the issues people discover with respect to that first cruise after a dry dock. Some people don't really care about any disruptions, inconvenience or lack of access to some on-board facilities, others do. There's also the chance that all the dry dock maintenance/update work will be completely finished before your cruise and you won't notice anything at all. I just mention it as a possibility that I know is oft reported here on CC.

• 5 weeks later...

Since you will be on the trip right after dry-dock, you have to be comfortable with a few things not being completed or the trip canceled because of delays during the dry-dock process. We have sailed on the Sensation several times and find it to be a good ship that is older and smaller, with all the latest upgrades.

Unless Sensation is half the price, then its no contest, book Adventure. Sensation is 24 years old and has very outdated, tacky decor, and limited facilities. Adventure is 19 years old, has much more current, modern looking decor and a lot more to offer in terms of dining options, activities and amenities.