St. Petersburg and the Fjords

We are looking at taking a cruise next summer. We would like to see both the fjords and St. Petersburg. We can take a cruise as long as 2 weeks. So far, I have only found one cruise that seems to cover this itinerary on MSC cruises. We have never cruised with them and the mixed reviews make me a little nervous. Any other suggestions for cruises that have this itinerary? Or we could also book 2 shorter back to back cruises but that would seem to waste time moving from one ship to another. I'd appreciate any thoughts/ideas from people who have managed a vacation of this sort. We are very experienced cruises but we've never cruised in Europe before. We are looking at cruising this time because my husband's elderly parents will be with us and we thought it would be easier for them.

Viking Oceans' Viking Homelands cruise has an itinerary you might like. It covers fjords in southern Norway as well as several Baltic ports, including St. Petersburg ; in fact, we had similar criteria to yours when we were selecting a cruise. We sail on the Homelands cruise this September! I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

A travel agent or another cruise critic forum member may be able to find you more options. The Norwegian Star used to do both itineraries; now they have the Getaway on the Baltic and the Jade on the Fjords. You can search cruisesonly.com by filtering by cruise line, and then Northern Europe. You can check by cruise line, or filter by cruise ship and check the dates to see if there are any b2b you can put together. I just checked Norwegian and Cunard, and couldn't find anything for Norwegian since the Star is no longer doing the route. For Cunard, there is:

14 Night Baltic Highlights

4.0 /rating out of 5 (

62 reviews)

Queen Victoria

Departing from: Southampton (London), England

Ports of Call:

• Kristiansand, Norway •
  • Copenhagen, Denmark •
  • Stockholm, Sweden •
  • Tallinn, Estonia •
  • St. Petersburg, Russian Federation •
  • Helsinki, Finland •
  • Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

Sailing Dates:

• August 10, 2018

7 Night The Fjords

4.0 /rating out of 5 (

62 reviews)

Queen Victoria

Departing from: Southampton (London), England

Ports of Call:

• Bergen, Norway •
  • Flaam, Norway •
  • Alesund, Norway •
  • Stavanger, Norway

Sailing Dates:

• August 24, 2018

I believe it may be possible that Royal Caribbean may also have ships that do both itineraries (or that could have changed, as I last researched this 3 years ago prior to my Baltic cruise. Both cruises are amazing and I hope you have a great time).

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite a challenge to find cruise covering both destinations. As it was said above you could find two back-to-back cruises from Copenhagen but I've never seen any cruise with ports both in Fjords and Russia.

I just noticed that tor the 2018 season, HAL has cut back on the 2017 12-day Baltic cruise to a 2018 10-day cruise. It still has the overnight in St. Petersburg though. Add to that flying to Bergen and doing a Norway-in a-Nutshell by Express boat would still keep it at 14 days with cruising two scenic fjords.

• 2 weeks later...

I found one BTB on Royal Caribbean, and we've just booked it for August 2018! It's on Serenade of the Seas. The Baltic trip is 7 days RT Copenhagen; the fjords is 8 days RT Copenhagen -- all on the same ship, so you do not have to change. There is only one date for the fjords (8/11); however, you could do the other part before or after. We're doing before. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's good to know about the Royal Caribbean cruise. We did book on the MSC Preziosa. It had a good itinerary and a low down payment. I haven't sailed on MSC before but we don't require a ton of extra services on a trip like this so I think we will be very happy.

Viking Oceans' Viking Homelands cruise has an itinerary you might like. It covers fjords in southern Norway as well as several Baltic ports, including St. Petersburg ; in fact, we had similar criteria to yours when we were selecting a cruise. We sail on the Homelands cruise this September! I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

Soundcruiser -- We'd be very interested in hearing about your Viking Homelands cruise on your return as we are in the process of booking for next spring. We are new to Viking and selected it as the itinerary is perfect. I'm currently researching tour options, esp for St Petersburg as we are there on a very busy cruise port day.