Royal IQ

Do you have to purchase the internet package to be able to communicate through the app? Example, texting with kids.

Thanks!

No internet needed.

Just pay the $7.95 per device to text onboard.

Does anyone know if Royal IQ will be on Symphony. Just booked it for June and will add to my list to research if it is.

Don't know for sure, but it seems that Royal installs Royal IQ functionality on their new ships.

Don't know for sure, but it seems that Royal installs Royal IQ functionality on their new ships.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out as more info on Symphony comes out. First time travelling with teenagers so the texting piece would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually really hated it in one way. I never ever buy the internet package on a cruise. I'm looking to disconnect from my real life and relax. You don't need the internet package to use Royal IQ, so I put the app on my phone to help manage reservations/schedules. When I was connected to the wifi network (again, just to be clear: just for Royal IQ, not for the internet package), my notifications all still came through on my phone. I got all my Facebook messages, Twitter notifications, etc. I turned off the connection most of the time, only turning it on once in a while to book reservations. I ended up finding out about things that I didn't want to know while on vacation... things that weren't emergencies or super urgent, but still added stress to what I wanted to be an escape.

I actually really hated it in one way. I never ever buy the internet package on a cruise. I'm looking to disconnect from my real life and relax. You don't need the internet package to use Royal IQ, so I put the app on my phone to help manage reservations/schedules. When I was connected to the wifi network (again, just to be clear: just for Royal IQ, not for the internet package), my notifications all still came through on my phone. I got all my Facebook messages, Twitter notifications, etc. I turned off the connection most of the time, only turning it on once in a while to book reservations. I ended up finding out about things that I didn't want to know while on vacation... things that weren't emergencies or super urgent, but still added stress to what I wanted to be an escape.

I've seen other reports of people getting some limited internet connectivity without having a package. On what ship did this happen?

yes using royal iq app

Thanks. This makes me very curious if it's the use of the Royal IQ app that inadvertantly opens up filters to other services, or if any WiFi user (without an internet package) gets access to those services.

Funny, this happened to us on our recent cruise. 3 out of 4 used the royal IQ, two on iPhones, one on an iPod touch. each paid 7.95 to chat with each other, none of us had the internet package. One of us ( on one of the iPhones) also got emails and such delivered, the other two didn't.

Funny, this happened to us on our recent cruise. 3 out of 4 used the royal IQ, two on iPhones, one on an iPod touch. each paid 7.95 to chat with each other, none of us had the internet package. One of us ( on one of the iPhones) also got emails and such delivered, the other two didn't.

So odd that the behavior was different with what sounds like the same exact conditions.

No. No internet package or communication package of any kind.

Thanks, that's the first report I've seen of someone getting some internet access without a package or using the Royal IQ app.

Thanks, that's the first report I've seen of someone getting some internet access without a package or using the Royal IQ app.

I didn't think it had anything to do with Royal IQ - it just seems to be some random thing that some phones get some internet traffic.

FWIW on Harmony last December everyone in our party was able to connect to royal-wifi and use iMessage to text each other and friends back home. Only one of us purchased the VOOM package, and only that person could access websites and use other social media apps. But for whatever reason, everyone was able to use iMessage on their phones while connected to the wifi network.