Allure of the seas, virus

Thanks to the media, assorted varieties of stomach issues have become pretty much synonymous with cruise ships. In fact, I've heard news reports refer to stomach viruses as the cruise ship disease. It's interesting that noro- and other viral outbreaks that frequently occur in schools, hospitals, nursing homes and offices, never have the same stigma attached to them as do similar outbreaks on cruise ships, which likely occur with lesser frequency than in the aforementioned schools, etc. I guess the idea of people getting sick while vacationing on a cruise ship is just a lot sexier and therefore, more news-worthy than a bunch of people working in the same office coming down with the same bug. And it's not just stomach bugs. Over the years, there have been more posts than I care to count by pax putting everyone on notice that they arrived home after a cruise with a stomach virus, a head cold, a sinus infection, a sore throat, a cough - somehow suggesting their unwanted souvenir was courtesy of the ship they were on. Ships don't make people sick; people make people sick. And that includes people you come into contact with before leaving home, people at the airport, on your flight, at your pre-cruise hotel and the restaurant where you had dinner or breakfast, as well as pax and crew on the ship and people with whom you came in contact while ashore. JMHO.

Edited by lysolqn

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the op flew in, but airplanes are full of germs. I'm far more concerned with planes than being on a cruise ship where one can wash hands, not touch railings, etc.

Longing for the day when we live in FL and can drive to the ports.

We live in Atlanta and strongly prefer sailing out of Port Canaveral so we can drive. The drive from ATL to the port is about 7 1/2 with breaks for lunch, restrooms. Flying takes about 9 to 10 hours with people pawing at you and your luggage and then catching a shuttle from Orlando to the port. We normally drive down a day or two before and stay near the port at hotels that provide weekly parking and shuttles to/from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We live in Atlanta and strongly prefer sailing out of Port Canaveral so we can drive. The drive from ATL to the port is about 7 1/2 with breaks for lunch, restrooms. Flying takes about 9 to 10 hours with people pawing at you and your luggage and then catching a shuttle from Orlando to the port. We normally drive down a day or two before and stay near the port at hotels that provide weekly parking and shuttles to/from the ship.

[

We have a 2 hour drive to STL to fly and can make it to Port Canaveral in 7-8 hours.