Dinner after Evening Whale Watch in Juneau?

Izjezted

We are booked on the Mendenhall & Evening Whale Watch excursion. The excursion ends at 9:00 pm. Should I book a specialty restaurant that night (Tamarind)? Or should we ask the MDR to accommodate us that night? My elderly parents and 9 yo daughter might fill up on the buffet provided on this excursion because 9:00 might be too late for them to eat. We are also doing Tracy Arm one way excursion that morning. I am guessing that we will have to order room service for breakfast and purchase lunch on the morning excursion. I am the one doing all of the planning because my family does not want to know any of the details.

You may or may not return to the ship by 9pm. The boat for the whale watch is relatively close (walk), but if sightings are good, they have been known to extend the tour. If the glacier is last (whale watch first), you will be returning by bus, but may not make it by 9. In any case, I am unaware if the main dining room will remain open that late, they are clearing out the second service pretty well by 9:30. Also don't know if the specialty restaurants offer reservations that late. Most reliable way to get what you want is via room service, or the Lido. You can get pretty much what you want there, and if you've filled up on your excursion, you might want desserts or a light snack.

The main dining room -- open seating -- closes at 9. If you arrive after 9 -- they will not let you in.

The specialty restaurants have their last reservations at 9 -- but again you have to be on time.

The Lido closes down at 8 for dinner. And doesn't open until 10:30 or 11 for late night snacks.

Your best bet is the in-cabin service.

Is there a reason why everybody doesn't eat the food provided by the excursion?

igraf

...My elderly parents and 9 yo daughter might fill up on the buffet provided on this excursion because 9:00 might be too late for them to eat. ....

My HAL-sponsored Tracy Arm excursion had a delicious free box lunch provided by the vendor.

The Pizza Inn on the aft Lido Deck is open until midnight for pizza, salads, and desserts. The Lido Market has a themed Late Snack from 1030 to 11:30 PM.

Here is the NY Pizza menu:

IMG_0697-Large.jpg

Here is a link to my photo review of the Nieuw Amsterdam to help with your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/