Dropping off luggage to relatives at port of call, is this OK?

maricontessa

Duty-free allowance

Duty-free allowance is a tax exemption granted by the Mexican Government to a national or foreign passenger for certain merchandise he is bringing in Mexico.

• Passengers entering Mexico by land are allowed to import merchandise additional to their baggage for up to $300.00 USD.*
  • Persons that reside in the north border are allowed to import merchandise for up to $150.00 USD.*
  • During holiday periods –Easter, Summer, Christmas, New Year-, passengers may import up to $500.00 USD.*1
  • Passengers entering Mexico by air or a maritime port may import up to $500.00 USD.

Assuming the above is correct, it should be very helpful to OP.

Unless the OP lives in Mexico, why would you suggest he/she has a duty free allowance? Also.......... those to whom he/she is giving the 'suitcase', who li ve in Mexcico, don't get duty free allowance.... Ha d they been on the ship an left with gthe other t ourists, they woldl receive the items while on the ship and would make a customs declarration. tio...... If they have not left the country, they don't get a duty free allowance for receiving a gift.

The link offered by Mcdonaldban in post 5 (which I read prior to posting), and quoted in post 25, suggests a $500 maximum duty free allowance. I don't know how much the OP was planning to bring but a suitcase full of new clothing might have a value exceeding $500.

You post is utter rubbish. I assume you got you "facts" out of thin air. Countries have a duty free allowance for incoming visitors. Personal items in luggage, such as clothing you'll be wearing then bringing home, are generally excluded. Items like liquor frequently have a limit. Items you'll be selling or giving away are subject to limits. Some items (clothing for example) given to certain charities might be exempt.

It doesn't really affect most cruise passengers. Passengers are looking to purchase duty free liquor and bring it back on the ship, not the other way around. Passengers generally leave their luggage on the ship. Immigration and customs clearance for most passenger at port are streamlined.

As was said before, carrying off a back pack and a large beach bag is not a problem anywhere (not food). I have seen the crew unload a lot of large boxes and other items for schools in Ecuador and Brazil. In Manila, crew took off gifts for family in really large bags that they were able to carry. So it is possible, but I don't know about Mexico. I don't remember seeing any customs officers or other officials in Cozumel. Some other ports around the world have bio product checks with sniffer dogs.

In Cozumel, they do use sniffer dogs looking for food, specifically produce. The ship staff warned passengers repeatedly not to take fruit off of the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums