Food. Buffet. State Room.

Auntie Mae

You can even take food from the MDR back to your room.. or anywhere on the ship.

Not always. I have found this varies from ship to ship. It is at the discretion of the maître d' what items can be removed from the MDR.

Not always. I have found this varies from ship to ship. It is at the discretion of the maître d' what items can be removed from the MDR.

I always wondered about the MDR, as far as leftovers, etc were concerned. I have taken my desserts "to go" from the Steakhouse, but you pay extra for that.

I have issues eating, sometimes it will take me 2 hours to eat a plate. I bring my own Rubbermaid and have never had a problem leaving the MDR with my meal. It's pretty obvious tho when I'm not able to eat and many are sympathetic. Some even plate for me to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is a strange policy.

Some years ago our son was not feeling well and MD would not allow us to bring his dinner back to the cabin. He said room service would have to pick it up in the DR and bring it to the cabin.

We pointed out that he had been sleeping and why should room service have to wake him up to get it when we could deliver it ourselves.

He was not moved so we left his dinner there and brought back dinner from buffet. He was one MD that was not tipped or mentioned highly in comment card.

We have brought dessert out of the MDR several times. The wait staff puts a cover on it for us and we just carry it out.

I have also brought DH food when he wasn't feeling well.

I didn't realize that each ship had a different policy about that. We have done it on several different ones.

We have brought dessert out of the MDR several times. The wait staff puts a cover on it for us and we just carry it out.

I have also brought DH food when he wasn't feeling well.

I didn't realize that each ship had a different policy about that. We have done it on several different ones.

And it is possible MD in one DR has different policy than the MD in the other one. Very strange

Never have had a problem taking from DR; but only seldom do.

Never have been charged for to go dessert in steakhouse. Is this new?

DH likes to take one of the white bags from elevator to the hostesses and ask for a to go sandwich. ;p I try to make him behave, but it's hopeless...

It is a strange policy.

Some years ago our son was not feeling well and MD would not allow us to bring his dinner back to the cabin. He said room service would have to pick it up in the DR and bring it to the cabin.

We pointed out that he had been sleeping and why should room service have to wake him up to get it when we could deliver it ourselves.

He was not moved so we left his dinner there and brought back dinner from buffet. He was one MD that was not tipped or mentioned highly in comment card.

Stu I sympathize and know that you and Sheila were upset by this and I would be too. The lack of policy consistency is also an issue I share with you. However' date=' the reasoning explained to us is that [i']some [/i]Maitre d's know that Carnival is liable if the staff allow you to leave the MDR with food versus much less liable if a passenger chooses to take food from the buffet to their cabin. Other Maitre d's do not know this and thus are more likely to be more relaxed and permit the practice. Granted, the question of liability is a fine difference but it made sense to us so we did like you and got a plate from the buffet and took it to the cabin ourselves. Not a big deal. I have more of an issue with the policy not being enforced uniformly across the fleet than with the policy itself.

I never heard about this MD based policy. If the MD tried to stop me from taking some food to go... it would end up in a loud argument he would want to avoid.

It is not the policy of the Maitre d' it is Carnival Corporation from what we were told.

Just remember....on Carnival ships, there are no trays available in the Lido buffet, so whatever food you bring out, you have to juggle! One tip I heard, and used successfully, is to put the food on your plate, then take another plate and turn it upside down on top. That helps to contain the food, and also keep it a little warmer, and you have the top surface to balance a cup or another plate or bowl.

Never have been charged for to go dessert in steakhouse. Is this new?

I edited your post in my quote to keep it straight forward. I didn't mean you pay extra for dessert to go in the steakhouse, I meant to refer to the extra $35 charge to dine in the steakhouse in general as paying extra. Sorry for the confusion :)

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense that the MD would be held responsible for illness r/t food taken from DR with his permission. We certainly wouldn't want to put him in that spot; many are so accommodating and even friends.:D