Best Way To Experience Mendenhall Glacier?

commila

Hello,

We are first-time cruisers in our early 30s and we're headed to Alaska soon. I naively thought that we'd be able to walk up to Mendenhall Glacier and stand on it, but as I do more research I'm seeing that this is definitely not the case (short of paying for a very expensive helicopter ride or taking a very strenuous guided hike, neither of which we're willing to do). With our trip rapidly approaching, we are trying to gauge how much to invest in making the most of our visit to Mendenhall Glacier. It would be cheapest and easiest to just take the shuttle to the visitor's center, but from what I understand we would just be viewing the glacier from a distance, which doesn't sound overly exciting (we're from the Pacific Northwest, and have seen glaciers on our local mountains). I've also seen that there are more expensive trips that allow you to kayak towards the glacier, though I'm not sure how close you get and am not sure if being out on a kayak for several hours would be the highlight of our trip or just cold, haha. We're also considering the combination whale watching and glacier excursions, though again, we'd just be at the visitors center viewing from a distance. Any advice regarding which types of experiences are "worth it" if we book a more expensive tour (subjective, I know) in order to make the trip to the glacier more memorable (given that we now realize we can't walk across it)? Thanks!

We went in 2010 and took the Big Blue bus to the glacier and walked up to see the glacier. Also right next to it is Nugget Falls (I believe that is the name). It was great seeing the rushing water and the glacier not that far away. If you do this it is not a strenuous hike and we spent maybe an hour or so at the location with the hike, snapping photos and just standing in awe..as you can still grasp its greatness even more I felt being on the ground looking up at it. We also dipped our fingers in the water to see just how cold it was, we also saw some who were trying to get that perfect pic of the waterfall and slipped off the rocks...luckily the water there was only about shin deep which is why we wanted to see how cold it was...pretty cold. If you are looking for cheap then the shuttle is best, if you want to be "on" it then expensive is probably the only way to do that...but we still felt our cheap option was great to see it...

Thank you! While I'm at it, I should ask the following:

1) Is Nugget Falls trail open year round? I thought I read at one point that the trails can be closed at certain times of year due to bears. On a related note, are we apt to see bears along the hike?

2) Recommendations for groups to do the Kayak Tour with?

Thanks!

The issue with the glacier, you will learn when you go there, is that it has receded tremendously since the visitor center was built so now there is water between it and the glacier. When we were there, the largest, fattest beaver I have EVER seen was at the waters edge eating. We are from VA and thought it was impressive.

What was more impressive and memorable was the Harv and Marv whale watching that we did just before that. Single small boat. Just our family. Awesome. They dropped us right at the dock near the visitor center.

We went last month via the white shuttle and hiked to nugget falls. Yes the glacier is at a distance but still worth seeing. We thought it was very enjoyable and got great pictures.

That being said, the heli trip and kayak trips sound amazing. Having seen kayakers getting close the glaciers, I definitely want to do that on another trip to Alaska.

If you want to get up close to the glacier, I would recommend the kayak trip. I am not sure where you would book this but the sister site to this, Trip Advisor, would give you some great ideas. Personally, this is what I'd like to do and I believe you get suited up so it isn't so cold. You will be kayaking right up next to the seals hanging out on the ice in the water. You can get pretty close but still won't be able to just walk up onto the glacier.

I thought the tour that was offered right from the cruiseline for the glacier and visitor's center was pretty good but not a lot of time for hiking. The time we took that tour, it was pretty cold out so nobody was really in the mood for hiking even if we were. The public bus up there might be the way to go if you want to do any hiking. I have also heard stories that bears might be on that trail so would proceed with some caution. But, bears can be a problem all throughout these ports ... you will see bear proof trash cans all throughout town.

You can also just book a tour right there in town but I would be sure that the tour does stop at the visitor's center at the glacier. I think, even though not the highlight of the tour, it is an interesting place to spend about 45 minutes learning more about glaciers in general.

Be sure to save some time to hit the Red Dog Saloon in town. It's pretty fun and much like the Mendenhall Glacier, it is a touristy must see.

There are so many awesome things to do in Juneau ....it's hard to pick just one. This is probably why we've been nearly a dozen times and already planning our next cruise up that way.

Thanks for your input, everyone. We ended up booking the kayaking trip in Mendenhall Lake. My advice to others in our spot, if you want to pay $100 more per person and do the ice caves/trekking onto the glacier in addition to the kayaking (which seems REALLY cool, and has amazing reviews online), is to BOOK EARLY! We don't have anyone to blame but ourselves since we are booking last minute, but we just spent the afternoon trying to get a spot on a tour like this and literally missed the chance by a few minutes (I called to get the info and there were spots, then hung up to relay the info to my husband, then called back and they were booked up). Apparently, they only allow so many permits for this type of excursion, so there is a hard stop on how many people can go (they won't open up new excursions for it). And there are apparently only two tour operators that do this - Liquid Alaska and Above & Beyond Alaska. It sounds like everyone else booking this tour is selling for these two tour operators. I was able to reach customer service at Liquid Alaska and they said that in 12 months, they've only had two cancellations for this tour (in terms of spots opening up once the tour is fully booked), so once it's full it's full. Learn from our mistakes and book this one early!!

The issue with the glacier, you will learn when you go there, is that it has receded tremendously since the visitor center was built so now there is water between it and the glacier. When we were there, the largest, fattest beaver I have EVER seen was at the waters edge eating. We are from VA and thought it was impressive.

What was more impressive and memorable was the Harv and Marv whale watching that we did just before that. Single small boat. Just our family. Awesome. They dropped us right at the dock near the visitor center.

Though I agree with your assessment of Harv and Marv (we "watched" with them three times) they are not allowed to drop you off at Mendenhall any longer, though you do go past it.

Thanks for your input, everyone. We ended up booking the kayaking trip in Mendenhall Lake. My advice to others in our spot, if you want to pay $100 more per person and do the ice caves/trekking onto the glacier in addition to the kayaking (which seems REALLY cool, and has amazing reviews online), is to BOOK EARLY! We don't have anyone to blame but ourselves since we are booking last minute, but we just spent the afternoon trying to get a spot on a tour like this and literally missed the chance by a few minutes (I called to get the info and there were spots, then hung up to relay the info to my husband, then called back and they were booked up). Apparently, they only allow so many permits for this type of excursion, so there is a hard stop on how many people can go (they won't open up new excursions for it). And there are apparently only two tour operators that do this - Liquid Alaska and Above & Beyond Alaska. It sounds like everyone else booking this tour is selling for these two tour operators. I was able to reach customer service at Liquid Alaska and they said that in 12 months, they've only had two cancellations for this tour (in terms of spots opening up once the tour is fully booked), so once it's full it's full. Learn from our mistakes and book this one early!!

we have cruised Alaska over 10 times and multiple land tours.

my present only somewhat regret is not doing the Mendenhall ice cave tour- should have done that vs whale watching this past trip.

we have seen beavers at Mendenhall.

we have seen bears on the boardwalk near parking lot but never hiking to nugget falls or the other trails we have gone on around the visitor center

we have cruised Alaska over 10 times and multiple land tours.

my present only somewhat regret is not doing the Mendenhall ice cave tour- should have done that vs whale watching this past trip.

we have seen beavers at Mendenhall.

we have seen bears on the boardwalk near parking lot but never hiking to nugget falls or the other trails we have gone on around the visitor center

I have to agree, the ice caves are magnificent, and how often will you get a chance to hike them? I always hate holding back when in destinations I know I will probably never return to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We did the canoe excursion across the lake towards the glacier. Same as the Kayak, but in a several person canoe. It was great. Hard to paddle once you are near the glacier as the glacier itself creates some wind. To walk on a glacier, my son hikes up to Coleman Glacier on Mount Baker, WA. Just be careful if you actually walk on it vs. touch it. You can fall into the Cravasses.

If anyone has a America the Beautiful Pass or Golden Age Passport, don't forget to bring it with you.

"From May through September, a pass is required to view the exhibits and audio-visual presentations inside the center, and to use certain outside infrastructure, such as the Steep Creek trail, the Pavilion, the restrooms, and Photo Point trail. The fee is $5 per day, per person, or a Season's Pass can be purchased for $15 which is good for the pass holder and one friend. Federal Lands passes are also accepted. Kids 15 and under are free all year. This fee provides for maintenance of the facility, programs during summer, and updating exhibits in the center. Over 90% of the money collected from the fees remains on-site. There is no fee in the winter."