Shadowmeboy's Alaskan Adventure on the Sun

shadowmeboy

Today was Father's Day. So, Erik's parents, who live in Palmer, invited Erik, Nicole, Susan and I out to their place for Fathers Day dinner. So we headed there after Independence Mine.

i-mLs784j-L.jpg

i-GgvtSt5-L.jpg

i-GXbxGMv-L.jpg

Erik's Dad, Garry is a pilot so he had an airplane outside. They live in a converted hanger along a small airport.

After hanging out with Garry and Laura, Erik's Mom, we had to mosy on back to Anchorage. Susan and I had an early morning train to catch to Seward.

i-Sb6jXmJ-L.jpg

Saw this airplane on our way out of the airport.

i-GG4jpnr-L.jpg

i-GcCgSgR-L.jpg

Susan and I made sure everything was ready to go for the morning. As 4:30am would come very early.

4:30 am in the morning came way to early. Susan and I finished making sure everything was ready, all documents in order, and the cameras were fully charged. (Its important!)

Nicole drove us down to the train station. We bought our train tickets on the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic. This train departs Anchorage at 645am but you get to Seward at about 11am or so. This allows time to explore Seward.

Nicole was able to purchase the tickets back in January for us, so we just had to pick up the tickets on departure day.

i-7pq9GNf-L.jpg

Pulling up to the station.

i-6LWXZ42-L.jpg

The white tent is where all baggage is checked. On cruise days, the cruise line will have a truck waiting there. You can check the bags with the cruise line all the way to the ship. This means you don't have to worry about checked baggage in Seward, and moving it to the ship. If you go to Seward early (not on a cruise day) you can check baggage with the Alaska Railroad to Seward.

i-RsT5HhX-L.jpg

Alaska Railroad personnel helping load the truck. The lady has two of our bags. We had our bags pretagged, printing the tags at home then putting the tags on at Nicole's. We walked right up and handed the bags over, and it took maybe a minute from the car to the loading on the truck. We carried a small overnight bag with documents and electronics, the camera and its bag, a reusable grocery sack (for coats), and Susan's purse. Everything else got checked.

i-5X69Q3m-L.jpg

the first view of the train.

i-vjDcCdJ-L.jpg

Across the street from the station.

i-786gCt9-L.jpg

Alaska Railroad Anchorage station

i-pFZTPmQ-L.jpg

The station while waiting to pick up tickets.

i-RW5xrv3-L.jpg

We got them!

i-35vg79s-L.jpg

I am very excited!

i-W5RhfFC-L.jpg

Reading the ticket information.

After a short 30 minute wait, it was time to board.

i-tWsmNF8-L.jpg

i-mNZFHxC-L.jpg

We were near the front of Adventure Class. There are two classes on the train Goldstar and Adventure Class. Goldstar includes a meal and drinks plus a two level car where you are seated on the top level. We were in car C (A & B were Goldstar)

i-whC4PtK-L.jpg

Once onboard, we found our seats and got settled. Soon a couple sat down infront of us. I asked if they were headed down for the cruise and they said yes. I introduced myself and Susan, and they introduced themselves as well. Jeff and Angie are from northern California. They had arrived late the night before, and stayed near the train station.

i-Wth7JfB-L.jpg

The train started to move and we continued to talk with Jeff and Angie. They knew nothing about the itinerary change, so i filled them in. We found out they were first time cruisers. We asked what their plans were in Seward, and they said they were just going to head to the ship. We invited them to explore Seward with us, instead of heading straight there.

i-qFwk32s-L.jpg

The crew came through asking for breakfast reservations. Jeff and Angie said they were going to breakfast, and so were we. We decided to eat together and get to know them and talk about the cruise.

i-bnnSjdt-L.jpg

i-PGQQhWG-L.jpg

Seward Highway - after leaving Anchorage.

i-ffqgGZ2-L.jpg

i-44xhnx4-L.jpg

They soon called our car for breakfast service, so Jeff, Angie, Susan, and I went to the dining car. Susan and I got the French toast with Reindeer Sausage. Angie got this huge fruit parfait.

i-xgRz6Dt-L.jpg

Here is what it looked like, the french toast. (I had to get a picture of someone elses because I forgot to get a picture of my own).

i-fXP5XTj-L.jpg

a view of the car we were riding in.

i-gcgMrmW-L.jpg

i-t6QLfP7-L.jpg

i-zVNkBfm-L.jpg

The Engineers in the Engine would radio back anytime they saw wildlife, and slow down. This allowed us have an opportunity for some awesome pictures. Staff onboard also talked about the history and what we were seeing along the way.

i-8fZnbHh-L.jpg

i-nmwBqnC-L.jpg

i-DdbCJV7-L.jpg

It started to rain, which made taking pictures interesting.

i-HgTQz76-L.jpg

i-2S7C25q-L.jpg

i-dnQXL2M-L.jpg