Recommended Gear for Alaska in June

emcee5

Hello. We are taking our first Alaska cruise the first week of June. What do you veterans recommend in terms of clothes to pack? I know layers always work. What kind of coat do you recommend? Do we need winter coats or will just a jacket do? Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately you never can be sure of the weather. We were in Alaska the May 29 - June 10 this year and had outstanding weather for the most part.

My best investment prior to the trip was a 3 in 1 jacket from Columbia sportswear it has a waterproof outer jacket with a hood and a removable fleece liner which can be worn seperately. A different time I wore both pieces together and seperately. The fleece inner jacket came in handy just on board the ship in place of a cardigan which I usually need since some area are colder than others. I also recommend a small folding umbrella which you can find for a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart and if it's cheap enough just leave it on board (I had a really old one that I left behind)

You need a lightweight lined jacket and layers. I don't recommend going out and purchasing a coat you won't use again. The above which you can cheaply purchase at Walmart in the $20++ range works great with a sweatshirt if necessary. Pack also knit hat, gloves, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes. I always do my laundry, greatly cuts down on bulk.

I agree you shouldn't purchase a coat you won't use again. But since I'm near Chicago I can use the one I purchased pretty much year round. If you wait until March or April you can also find them half price on line and on sale at most stores for 50% off or less.

Archived