Liberty of the Seas - July 23 2017 sailing

Traffic was starting to line up on the road outside of the port. We had to wait through four cycles of the left turn light before we could enter the port.

Tip: If you are driving down Harborside Drive, stay in the right lane and go past the left turn to the cruise (22nd street) by 2 or 3 blocks (around 20th or 19th street), make a U-turn and turn right on 22nd street into the cruise terminal drive (around 20th or 19th street).

Thanks for sharing your awesome review!!! We will be on LOS in November for the second time, so your feedback on First Night Done Right and dinner reservations was super helpful.

However vacations, and especially cruise vacations, demand drinks with cool names like Miami Vice, Mai Tai, Bahama Mama. Or a Dark and Stormy, which is more of a pirate drink. All in all a wonderful, fun and peaceful day.

Just curious -- did you all do the drink package or a la carte? I want to try those drinks, and many more...just not sure if I can handle 7 days of all I can drink!

Following...looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Just curious -- did you all do the drink package or a la carte? I want to try those drinks, and many more...just not sure if I can handle 7 days of all I can drink!

Following...looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

I did the drink package while my wife did the non alcohol drink package. My liver was sore after 7 days. I will say that with the drink package I have the freedom to try new and different drinks. If I don't like it, I don't feel bad about putting it down and ordering something different.

Andy

Sea day #2

After our breakfast on the balcony we went searching for loungers at the pool. We were lucky and scored some in partial shade, however they were near the smoking section. We planned on spending most of the day by the pool. The children were off having fun and I was able to read and relax with my wife. The oldest showed up eventually and we were lucky enough to grab a lounger next to us when someone left. As the day went on, the music became louder as if they were turning up the volume every hour. After the belly flop contest, the volume was turned up again. Eventually we couldn't stand it anymore and retreated to our stateroom. Boom-chick-a-bow-wow and an afternoon nap before we got ready for dinner.

I normally finish getting ready way before my wife, but this is planned :evilsmile: so I can have a pre-dinner martini. I tried different lounges hoping to find the right combination of people watching and a bartender who makes excellent drinks. Schooners - easy to get to from our stateroom, but bad drinks (I know, how can you screw up a martini!?!). Olive or Twist is supposed to be the martini bar, but every time I visited it was closed or empty, plus the service was terrible. I finally set on Boleros. It is close to the dining room, which is a plus, but had excellent bartenders. By the end of the cruise they would see me coming and have one of my favorites started.

The food at dinner tonight was kind of blah for me. I have a meat allergy, so I'm limited to fish and foul for protein. Tonight the entrees didn't interest me, so I went with the pasta with marina sauce that is available every night. I found it uninspired and needing spice. I hate to say it, but it compared to a cheap jar of sauce from the grocery store.

This was the night that our children discovered that Shirley Temples were included in the soda package. woo hoo - they had them for the rest of the cruise. We are not big soda drinkers and we limit our children's consumption of soda at home; however since there aren't a lot of options and we were on vacation, we purchased the soda package for them. They were sick of soda by the end of the week.

Andy

Tip: If you are driving down Harborside Drive, stay in the right lane and go past the left turn to the cruise (22nd street) by 2 or 3 blocks (around 20th or 19th street), make a U-turn and turn right on 22nd street into the cruise terminal drive (around 20th or 19th street).

Excellent tip! Thank you for sharing.

I agree. I saw this happening as I approached the light. I would have done it, but saw I was so close I didn't need to risk jumping out to the right lane with traffic approaching.

Andy

Another option is to stay straight on I-45.

It ends and becomes Broadway.

Turn left on 22nd street / Kempner Street (just past 23rd street).

Stay straight on 22nd / Kempner past Harborside to the cruise port.

This way is longer, but you do get to see some of historic Galveston.

Oh, and pay close attention to the signs when you enter the cruise port.

Carnival is the first terminal

You can skip around it by taking a cuttoff to the left just after you cross Harborside (or turn off of Harborside onto 22nd street).

Follow the signs to Terminal 2.

Also, many parking facilities have free shuttles for up to 4 passengers with luggage.

We park at EZ Cruise without driving through the actual cruise terminal area.

Some of these places such as EZ Cruise give a slight discount if you don't take the shuttle and walk to the ship, but walking across Harborside without a light is dangerous.

Lights are at 25th and 22nd streets, not always convenient to parking areas.

Edited by Jimnbigd

R Bar is the place for Martinis and they host the Martini Seminar! Great value and lots of fun!

Hi, we are on Liberty in about 9 days. We have not been on this class ship since they remade the champagne bar into R Bar. We enjoyed the location and drinks at the champagne bar on several ships including Liberty but are wondering if there is more to the R Bar than just the decor change. If you have been to Alchemy on a Carnival ship, how does it compare? We really liked the Alchemy and we are hoping that the R Bar is similar. Thanks.

Roatan

Finally after two sea days we arrive at our first port. We'd been to Roatan with the children on a previous cruise and had done zip lining. By the way - that experience requires it's own post altogether. Let's just say it was the first time any of us went zip lining and we didn't realize until our second zip line adventure how unsafe the first was.

So this time I convinced everyone to go snorkeling because the reef that encircles the island is supposed to be so beautiful and because it was so much safer. I found an excursion company based on Roatan that would take us boat snorkeling then to a beach resort. Great - everyone was happy.

The tour started off good. The company rep was outside the port where they were supposed to be and we hopped into a van and took off. I forgot how bad the roads are in the Caribbean. Be sure to empty your bladder before hand because you will be tested with all the bumps, pot holes and crazy driving. We arrived at a beautifully manicured area with loungers under the palm trees. Our driver is in heated conversation with someone and then explains to me that we were not expected. No one had set up a reservation. Great... The owner starts making phone calls and 15 minutes later they pull a boat out to begin our boarding.

It was cloudy when we arrived at this side of the island, but now is was darkening and getting very breezy. It was definitely going to rain. No worries, says the captain and we hope in the boat. A short 5 minute ride out to the reef and we tie up to a buoy. We get our gear and jump in the water and all we see is sand. The captain is still in the boat and I ask where to go. So far the only words of English he has spoken is "no worries" and I'm wondering if he understands me. He points in a direction and dives into the water. My son follows him and I tag along while the girls are following slowly. Suddenly the captain comes up holding an enormous reddish orange star fish. Very cool. He hands it to me and leaves. I hold on to it and show the girls when they show up and point to where the captain disappeared. Since it was so cloudy, the water visibility was poor, but we finally found the reef and all the fish. I dove down closer to the reef and my goggles begin to leak. Crap, leaky goggles are the worst while trying to snorkel. The captain suddenly appears holding a tiny lobster. Like a small shrimp. He hands it to my son and then suddenly disappears again. Bizzaro I'm thinking. I look up and my wife and the girls are back up on the boat, so I deduce something must be wrong. My son, code name Omega, and I head back to find out what's wrong. Jelly fish have "attacked" the girls. One on the leg, one on the arm and my wife across her upper lip and down her cheek. I offer up the urine solution, but no one sees the humor.

It's raining, they are cold and unhappy. The captain shows up and I try to explain what's going on. He nods, starts the engines and takes us back. It's probably for the best, but not a great start to Roatan.

We decide to head to the beach which is at the Parrot Tree Plantation resort. It begins to rain hard and is starting to get steamy in the van. We bumpy, bump bump to the resort and wait in the van until the worst of it is over. We make a dash for the beach and see a large tiki hut with the bar and about 15 tables and a lot of drums by the sound of it.

It starts to pour again and we arrive under the tiki hut to find that all the tables are taken and there is some sort of island dance group gyrating to a drum band. What a mess. I spy a small tiki hut with a single table out by the beach and I herd every one there. It was away from the noise and we had a dry place to sit.

more to come...

Parrot Tree Resort continued

There were a number of these tiki hut tables along the beach and turned out to be a perfect refuge from the rain. A server braved the rain with an umbrella and took drink orders and was very helpful with the menu. Once ordered, drinks and food came out fast and were very good. Attached pictures hopefully show the tiki huts with the tables, plus give an idea of the drinks. That's a shrimp cocktail that my son ordered with very large and sweet shrimp.

During lunch it had started to lighten up and we were hopeful we could warm up and maybe go into the water as we were sitting right on the beach. However another line of storms appeared quickly. According to our server, "July Squalls" are common this time of year.

Dad - what's wrong with your legs? I looked like I had hives on my legs. My wife starts freaking out because the EpiPen was on the ship. I knew from experience these weren't hives, but didn't know what it was. It didn't matter, my wife was cold and wet and just wanted to go back to the ship since the weather wasn't cooperating. Our driver told me I had found the sand fleas.

As my wife and I discussed the day, we wish we would have remembered the beautiful pool at the resort and had spent our lunch there, instead of on the beach thinking it would have provided more shelter. We knew better about sand fleas, but forgot to use the bug spray we brought along. We won't make that mistake tomorrow.

Dinner this evening seemed like a mini Thanksgiving with turkey and dressing. I had two appetizers - anancini rice balls and an olive and egg plant tapenade. RCL called it olive and egg plant tare tare. Both were very good and I would recommend; however dinner was just okay. I had two desserts to make up for the dinner.

Andy

IMG_0772.jpg.9f2bbb2056c4b4f42de52ca93daff588.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg.e43ccad0c9672abf25a0cd1da35a8e79.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg.e2c955eb46e7a6a907bcf85b34853d8e.jpg

Thursday - Costa Maya (hell) and Maya Chan beach club (heaven)

We normally don't use the cruise line excursions since we don't like the large crowds associated with most of these excursions. When I found Maya Chan beach club and how it limits guests per day, I knew I had found our Costa Maya excursion. For one price per person it included transportation, the beach club, drinks, food and their play equipment. Perfect. Compared to Roatan, the weather today was perfect - not a cloud in the sky.

We had breakfast and hit the long walk down the pier - and I mean long. The pier is so long it has a shuttle train. I believe the Costa Maya port is one of Dante's circle of hell. There is no way to exit the port easily if you don't have a cruise ship excursion and I'm sure it was purposely designed this way. So you walk and walk and walk. In circles. Did I mention earlier that there wasn't a cloud in the sky? And there was no breeze in the port. Then there's the creepy store merchant who tells me my daughters are hot and I need security in port to keep them safe.

We finally reach the taxi stand area where the Maya Chan representative is waiting. Welcome family, would you like some cold bottled water? YES! Sit in the shade while I get your taxi. The worst part of the day was over and the best part began. Maya Chan is all about service, and they do it right. It is a beautiful oasis on the beach and was our best excursion of the trip. We had a large thatched roof hut with 5 chairs, a table, hammock and beach bed. All under the shade and steps from the water. I've attached a couple of pictures. In the foreground you'll see an umbrella and beach bed for 2.

The drinks were wonderful and they catered to the kids as well with many types of non-alcohol concoctions. The food was better than the cruise ship. That's all I need to say about that. There was a main open air building that had the bar, kitchen and tables for lunch. This was the only place playing music, which I appreciated. If you wanted to drink and party, this was the place. If you wanted quiet, you can lounge at your reserved chairs.

The kids were very active with kayaks, stand up paddle boards and snorkeling. My wife and I lounged in the shade or on their cool floating chairs with cup holders. The staff was even coming out into the water to take orders and deliver new drinks. Again - the service here was outstanding.

Unfortunately a great day had to come to an end and we headed back to port. My wife began to get a headache on the drive back. After the long walk back through the port it had turned into a migraine. She missed dinner that evening, so it was just the children and myself. It just didn't feel right without her. I had hockey puck chicken.

Andy

1408931580_costamaya.jpg.5ed53d1974b3f4a77066d269a8c838e3.jpg

1182131147_mayachan.jpg.bd300f4c72c5398b272b79b099e26209.jpg

1025024252_mayadrink.jpg.da5c3597dbfe72714c7e893a95ebd7fb.jpg

Cozumel & Dolphins

Hello hot and humid. It just slaps you in the face as you get off the ship. One of RCL ginormous ships with the aft amphitheater was berthed next to us, so there was a fairly good crowd exiting into the port. Anyone with a bag had to be sniffed by dogs. I'm assuming they were looking for drugs.

Compared to yesterday, there was a huge line for taxis. We waited in line for about thirty minutes before they stuffed the five of us in a car meant for four people. I had the front passenger seat while the other four had the rear. Only in Mexico.

We took a quick five minute ride to Dolphanarious ($US12). We arrived thirty minutes prior as was required in our reservation which we made online prior to the cruise. The place was empty except for a few people doing their swim with the dolphins. Cool, we thought, this is going to be a private session. Our children really wanted to find swim with the dolphins excursion and this port fit the bill. Unfortunately my wife and I had to pay a visitor fee just to watch. Ten minutes before their session the buses and taxis showed up and dumped a hundred people into the lobby. Oh well, these must be people who booked through the cruise line. I wonder if I paid more...

Anyway, the swim was a hit. I have a telephoto lens for my camera that I was prepared to use, but was close enough to use my 18-55mm. I realized I would have to use photo shop to really zoom in on particular shots, but felt this lens would allow more light and was image stabilized compared to the cheaper telephoto.

Once home all the photos turned out great and were quickly added to Instagram or whatever they communicate with today.

For those interested there was a free buffet, drinks and beers. My blood sugar went low and against my better judgment I had a chicken taco instead of looking for some prepackaged food or candy bar. I ended up with "travelers stomach" the next day; which continued for the next week as well. I thought normally the onset is fairly quick, so I can't be sure if I caught it from the buffet or something on the ship.

After my wife having a migraine the previous day, I wanted to keep her out of the heat and well hydrated, so I suggested we head back to the ship. The kids protested wanting to explore Cozumel. I offered that the lines for the wave rider et al would be short. Grumble grumble okay

We were lucky enough to catch a van that dropped people off and went back to the port. We did some overpriced port souvenir shopping and headed back to the ship for lunch. No drug sniffing dogs leaving Mexico, so I guess it's okay to leave the country with it. However, we had to go through serious security, bag xray and metal detectors. This was more serious then when we boarded the ship in Galveston!

The kids went and had fun while mom and dad took a nap. Later I sipped on a few drinks and read while I listened to the music and laughter coming from the loud bars in port.

coming up... Lobsters

Lobsters...

Tonight is formal night and we all dressed in black. My wife had us take pictures which was so painful for the children, but they turned out very nice. For dinner we had lobster tail and prime rib plus all the trimmings. Everything was excellent. I would recommend the puff pastry with mushrooms for an appetizer.

After dinner the kids scattered so my wife and I went looking for music. We went to the Hoof and Claw but the guitarist never showed up. After checking out a few more bars and unable to find any live music we called it a night.

Saturday - sea day

Everyone slept in today and we didn't order room service. We found out the night before from our waiter that breakfast and lunch was served in the main dining room. We never had the same waiter all cruise, so I think we missed out gaining a rapport with a server that you do normally. But this guy was the best we've had and it was a nice reminder. I had eggs benedict, but with salmon, which was good.

We went and checked out the over priced pictures for sale and ended up purchasing three. It was a very easy process to download them to my phone, so we could have them electronically forever. Once home we could print at our leisure at our local photo place. That reminds me I need to save them to our computer hard drive. (it's backed up to the cloud)

Since we had such a lazy start to the day, we couldn't find any chairs around the pool. No big deal for me since the music was so loud. We ended up near the children's water play area where there were rows of loungers available. I read a lot today and finished my first book and started on the second.

Later in the after noon we picked up a drink and were sitting in one of the hot tubs that is cantilevered over the side of the ship. It has wonderful views. I was looking forward and noticed that we appeared to be heading toward land or something near the ship. I suddenly realized that it was a line of thunderstorms and the combination of the rain plus the rain hitting the water gave the illusion. I ran back to the loungers and grabbed our books and paraphernalia just as the rain hit. We were a little wet so we decided to nap for the rest of the afternoon. By the time we reached our room, the rain had finished. My wife napped and I sipped on a drink and read on the balcony.

Dinner this evening I had chicken marsala. It was okay, but the stars were the appetizers and dessert. We saw the Broadway style Saturday Night Fever show tonight. I would recommend it as it was very entertaining and you know most of the songs.

Up next... that four letter word - disembarkation

Thanks for your great trip review. I wait in anticipation each day for its continuation...

We will be on the Liberty for a b2b in November.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

Back 2 back... so awesome. Maybe once we're empty nesters. Only six years, but I'm not counting

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Back 2 back... so awesome. Maybe once we're empty nesters. Only six years, but I'm not counting

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! Empty nesting is the key for sure. It will be here before you know it and you will wonder where all the time went and look back so fondly on trips like this.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app