The Pearl after dry dock

PlayTheAces

Just a few random thoughts on the Pearl. The Pearl went through an extensive dry dock renovation in February and we sailed her out of Seattle for Alaska in late July 2017. We've sailed on the Pearl in the past and were impressed with the changes.

And unrelated to the Pearl, the embarkation on this cruise was fast and efficient, a night and day difference compared to the last time we were on NCL. We arrived at the port around 11:15 and were on board before noon. Being platinum may have shaved a few minutes off the process but things were just extremely well organized in Seattle. This was probably one of the quickest embarkations I can recall. Such a difference to what we experienced in New Orleans a year or two ago.

As to the Pearl, pretty much the entire ship has been renovated. Everything is fresh and new looking. The dessert section of the buffet is behind easy to access glass doors, a much more sanitary arrangement than what one normally encounters in buffets. And it seemed the food selections have been greatly enhanced. This was one of the nicest buffets I've seen on any cruise ship recently. The only downside is the size of the drink glasses. They no longer have adult sized glasses. All drinks from the buffet now have to go into little juice / kiddy cups so you're constantly making trips back and forth to the beverage station which simply adds to the congestion and creates more dirty cups.

The Summer Palace dining room appears to now have more smaller tables for two or four. I think NCL is finally abandoning the old table-for-eight sit-with-strangers configuration.

We had a mini suite and everything in the cabin appeared new. There are now a couple of electrical outlets as well as several USB ports available. Two are cleverly concealed in the base of the overhead bed side lamps. The refrigerator was brand new and was only about half full of mini bar items, leaving plenty of room for a few of your own items. I really applaud NCL for this as it reduces the burden on the cabin attendants having to remove the stuff when requested as well as recognizing the needs of their guests. The safe was new as well. The flat screen TV was mounted on a convenient pull out adjustable bracket. Unfortunately, there was no magnified shaving mirror in the bathroom that my old eyes so appreciated.

This was the first cruise I've ever been on where disembarkation was a low-key affair. No announcements the day before, at least that I heard. No instructions or tags delivered to our cabin. I checked with our cabin attendant and per his instructions went to the lobby the day before and picked up our tags. I didn’t even see the typical disembarkation instructions featuring the Cruise Director on the TV. We put our luggage out the night before, got up early the next morning to grab breakfast and got in line. Again, there were no announcements. After checking, I had been told the disembarkation would begin at 7:30 am but in fact it began at 8 am. As we were walking off a few minutes later I heard the first announcement regarding those taking their own luggage off. We had Platinum tags and were told to walk off whenever we were ready. All in all it took us just a bit over an hour from getting in line on the ship to standing on the curb and grabbing a cab. Pretty darn good disembarkation.

Lastly, one other thing we noticed was the lack of constant announcements for Bingo, lottery tickets, art auctions and sales. While there were announcements, it seemed more civilized than the never ending stream of marketing we've experienced in the past. I think NCL has struck a good balance with this.

It was an outstanding cruise on an outstanding ship.

What a great review and overview of Pearl "face life".

We have always been impressed with Seattle NCL port .

(NCL has best location of all cruise lines in Seattle, Pier 66)

After a nightmare embarkation in Miami, We really appreciate how efficient and smoothly it is here.

Boarding the Pearl again next month, excited to see all the changes.