Auto posts to Roll Calls

Corfe Mixture

see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52287632 for Cruise Critic's post about this.

I have pointed roll call participants to Cruise Critic's post about it who asked about the auto posts because most usually don't find that post on their own and posting that link is easier than trying to explain the auto posts. Cruise Critic's post about the auto posts though is almost as confusing as the auto posts themselves.

I look at this as a problem, but from the opposite angle. I don't think seasoned veterans are going to be too taxed figuring out who's really on their roll call. (Sorry, Corfe; I agree with you on a lot of stuff.)

Jim

I think what is gently 'rattling my cage' is that, my next cruise has a very quiet Roll Call and is probably only running at around 16 active members (far too few to be able to get a venue assigned and to invite officers).

Despite this, I have been keeping an eye on the Roll Call as (having done so in the past) I am willing to make the arrangements for a Meet 'n' Greet if the numbers become viable.

However what I have been finding is that every time the post count ticks up and I go over to see if the participant count has gone up, all I am finding is yet more of these autoposts, with the result that, I am no longer bothering to visit the Roll Call when I see a new post.

It goes without saying that I will no doubt pop in later to see if they need someone to organise and can justify a Meet 'n' Greet, but for now, I am finding these autoposts a turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Corfe Mixture - Thanks for the Guildhall recommendation for dinner in Poole. Wonderful food, great service.

Darcy

You're welcome.

Glad you enjoyed it, it is always a little bit of a risk when recommending restaurants as we don't all have the same taste.

I have been away sailing, in France, and, despite the wonderful seafood over here, one of the first things I will do when I get home will be to visit The Guildhall Tavern, enjoy the meal and say hello to Severine, Sebastian and Frederic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to the FAQ section posted about this, the new user has to click the "I'm sailing" button for the autopost to generate. Is this not still the case? And if it is, it's not really that much different than the folks who post once and never again.

It is still the case, however I don't think the new person is explicitly told that it will make a post in their name, to the roll call. Even if it did, many likely would not understand what it meant anyway. An auto-post, on its own, will not change that.

I think it would have made more sense to point them at the thread in question, explaining to them what it is, and possibly auto-subscribing them to the thread. Subscribing would accomplish the same goal as the generic auto-post, which ultimately is to draw them in and encourage them to be active participants. Later, the user can unsubscribe if he doesn't wish to participate.

But, I don't run the site, so my opinion is nothing more than that.

I think what is gently 'rattling my cage' is that, my next cruise has a very quiet Roll Call and is probably only running at around 16 active members (far too few to be able to get a venue assigned and to invite officers).

Despite this, I have been keeping an eye on the Roll Call as (having done so in the past) I am willing to make the arrangements for a Meet 'n' Greet if the numbers become viable.

The roll calls seem to be trending downward the last few years. Fewer participants. For one sailing this December only 14 total posts. The other one in a few weeks not many active participants. Days can go by without a post. A few years ago there would have been much more activity. Don't know if that is a result of a general decline of Cruise Critic or only a decline of interest in roll calls. Seems like Facebook is the in thing these days. There are a lot of cruise groups there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515