Culebra Island day trip

gmkgks

Can you do Culebra island by boat charter if you only have 8 hours in Port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viator offers one. https://www.viator.com/tours/San-Juan/Culebra-Day-Trip-by-Catamaran-from-Fajardo/d903-6013FAJ

May or may not fits your port times.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

I would honestly arrange to go there if staying in San Juan. I stayed there for 3 days prior to my cruise. It is fantastic there. Beautiful beaches. Great snorkeling. Nice people and great food. We few there from San Juan because ferries were so unreliable. If you decide to go use a tour operator and know that you may only have at least 4 hours on island. It is my favorite place in Caribbean.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Can you do Culebra island by boat charter if you only have 8 hours in Port?

I completely agree with the other poster who suggests to only do it if you are staying in San Juan a couple of days and not while on a cruise port stop.

Take it from a local: Unless you board the Carnival Fascination in Barbados and your port call is from 7am-8pm (otherwise the debarkation/embarkation port for the rest of us) don't plan for Culebra. Going there is basically a whole day affair and would never fit into a usual 5-8 hour cruise port call. You need to allot about 1 hour to drive to/from Fajardo. Another hour each way just to get to Culebra by catamaran or boat. See where I'm going with this?? There are some operators offering half day sailing to Culebra but you'd have to be at the Fajardo dock at 8am on any given day. They are definitely not suitable for cruise passengers. If you're in PR for a couple of day, go for it!!

Having done 3 different mini-vacations to Culebra (and 2 to Vieques)- if you want to go, I'd suggest going out there and staying for a few days.

It's the only place in the world that we've ever taken a beach centric vacation. And if you go, remember your snorkeling gear- some of the best snorkeling out there.

Which is a very odd way to answer that I agree with everyone that visiting in the context of a cruise would be really hard.

• 3 weeks later...
I would honestly arrange to go there if staying in San Juan. I stayed there for 3 days prior to my cruise. It is fantastic there. Beautiful beaches. Great snorkeling. Nice people and great food. We few there from San Juan because ferries were so unreliable. If you decide to go use a tour operator and know that you may only have at least 4 hours on island. It is my favorite place in Caribbean.

I don't mind having only 4 hours but i can't find a tour provider who will do a day tour unless we fly which is out of the budget.

I would save culebra for a time when you are staying in puerto Rico. It's like having a stop in NYC and going for a day trip to the Catskills. It is too much for one day. And the ferries are so unreliable you could be stuck there. I think of it this way...if no tour operator will take you there without a plane then that should tell you something as they don't want to risk their reputation to not get you back to ship.